iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brad Smith with ugly log pic's...

Started by GregS, May 26, 2006, 08:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregS

I thought folks would like to see the unruly-ugly Butternut log a customer had me pick up and Brad Smith saw up!  The log was beyond my mills capacity of 30" and therefore the big-gun (Brad) was called in...  ;D.  We had to trim off most of the burls in order to saw it.  Not a fun log.  It took about 3 hours all said and done.  We hit at least 3 nails as well  :(.  It was prettty inside despite the effort.

One heavy log!

A windy nasty day up on my hill:

Brad getting dusted:

The last nail....(at least we were hoping!) ;D.

Greg S.

IL Bull

Nice log! 8)  I like the skid steer. 8)
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Sprucegum

Excellent pics of your milling operation

Beautiful view

When do you get summer weather?

GregS

Thank you gentlemen.

Sprucegum,  Thanks for noticing the view.  I love the view and learning to live with the negatives that come along with a hilltop location...WINDY!  I guess my next move will be a wind-generator. 

As for your question:
Quote from: Sprucegum on May 26, 2006, 10:20:10 AM
When do you get summer weather?

Answer:  This weekend 8).  Forecast is 80 degrees and sunny.

Brad_S.

Thanks for posting the photos, Greg.

You know you're in for a tough day when a guy who already owns a nice mill calls you in to do a log! ;)

Did you do an autopsy on the chunk we cut off that ripped the teeth off the blade to see what was in there?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

sprucebunny

That's a gnarly log, alright. Was the wood all good ???

There is a big butternut JUST over the line at my neighbors house. They are having it cut down and I hope to get some wood from it.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

getoverit

Nice job of milling and awesome pics too! I love them BIG logs ;D

I've been soaked with sweat by 9am here every day this week, and dont even consider wearing anything other than jeans and a t-shirt. Enjoy the cool weather while you can!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

GregS

Quote from: Brad_S. on May 26, 2006, 07:56:27 PM
Did you do an autopsy on the chunk we cut off that ripped the teeth off the blade to see what was in there?

Nope.  The metal laden chuck of butternut still sits there.  I have a long weekend to let the curiosity build over the threshold of laziness.  I will let you know.

Sprucebunny,  The wood was NOT all good.  I would say 60% and Brad may overrule me.  The guy that found this log went through a lot of trouble and money to get this far with it and he is happy so I am happy.  He said he had been eyeing this tree for years and happen to see them cutting it down and made them offer to take it down for them for a small fee.  I picked it up and Brad sawed it up.  

I hope the tree you have your eye on has less metal and ants then this one :D.  It wasn't that bad but the weather topped things off for us.

Greg S

GregS

Quote from: getoverit on May 26, 2006, 09:49:13 PM
Nice job of milling and awesome pics too! I love them BIG logs ;D

I've been soaked with sweat by 9am here every day this week, and dont even consider wearing anything other than jeans and a t-shirt. Enjoy the cool weather while you can!

I do love the sweatshirt weather!  Thanks.

Norm

I've got a couple of logs like that sitting in my junk log pile. Bunch of work to cut up but boy do you ever get some beautiful wood out of em.

Great pictures and job guys. :)

Thank You Sponsors!