iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much trouble is it to cut veneer on a bandsaw mill?

Started by Modat22, May 25, 2006, 10:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

I don't have my mill running yet but I'd like to be able to slice veneer from some of the logs I have stashed in my yard now.

Have any of you cut veneer on you're bandmill? What types of problems have you run into?

remember man that thy are dust.

woodmills1

If I remember correctly there was a thread awhile back about who could cut the thinnest piece.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Modat22

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Modat22

Thanks Jeff I would have never found that one. Thats nice, veneer no problem  ;D

dad2nine

I have a piece of red oak stapled to my wall that's got to be less than a 16th of an inch. So I'm not seeing where veneer on a band mill would be an issue...

Ron Wenrich

We used to sell 8/4 red oak to a company that sawed it down with a woodmizer to veneer size.  The biggest problem they had was defect inside the piece that didn't show on either side.  I don't know if they're still in business.

I was in a veneer plant several years ago.  It had gone out of business, so we had the rule of the place.  We were looking at their sawmill.

While walking around, I saw several vats of water.  On inquiry, I was told that they soaked the logs in water to make it easier to peel the veneer off of the logs.  It makes a lot of sense.

Just how thin do you want it?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Larry

Sawing veneer from a log is possible...but you still have to dry it and surface it.  It is possible but difficult and I think you will need a veneer press.  How are you planing to do it?  I saw veneer from already dry boards...run it through the planner throw on the mill and back to the planner for the next slice.  Same way on the shop band saw but I'm limited to 12" wide there.

I've seen em slice walnut veneer.  They take a green log and steam over night.  Next morning it's on the slicer limp as a noodle plus the steaming helps the color..  American Walnut has some slices that are only 1/100" thick...they did it just to show how thin and precise they could go.  A slice that thin has no practical value that I know of.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ron Wenrich

I think you might lose that one when you sand it.   :)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Modat22

3/32 would be the thinnest I'd want to go, it would leave plenty of thickness to run thru the thickness sander.

Thank You Sponsors!