iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what are these saws?

Started by moosehunter, May 24, 2006, 12:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

My wife went shopping last week. Brought these home.

Eventually some or all be used for decoration in our house.

Can anyone tell us what the different tooth profiles/paterns are?

Mike
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Fla._Deadheader

Look to me like all crosscut, sept for the one on the right.   ;D :) :) :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ron Wenrich

The 2 circle saws on the right is what we used to use for cutoff saws.  Also good for taking off a few fingers.  They also were used for cutting firewood on those PTO driven firewood rigs. 

The one on the right is a lot different from any saw I've seen. 

The bottom saws are misery whips, used for cutting trees.  They look like softwood saws, to me. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Corley5

Big center on the right saw.  Maybe an edger saw of some sort ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Wenrich

How about a top saw or a mud saw?

Tom

The middle circle blade looks like the blades used on wheel saws. 

Many of those in this area don't have points on the tips of the teeth.  Instead there is a groove that can be sharpened with a rat tail file or straight round file (kinda like a chainsaw file).  Others have filed points and set. 

The saws were used mostly for bucking pulpwood, but, were also used to take down small trees.  They were very dangerous and have been outlawed in the timber industry.

These pictures were taken by Jeff when he visited me this last winter.  We were in Waldo Florida at Tom's Cypress on US-301.

Jeff

I'm still wantin one of those...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sawyerfortyish

I got one Jeff it was in a barn on a farm we bought. I saved it from the scrape yard. It's not in the best of shape it was burried in junk in the barn but might still run.

Ianab

Quotebut might still run.

probably better if it didn't   :o :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

Sawyerfortyish, Is it one of these true pulp saws or a buzz rig?  THe pulp saws swivel to horizontal for felling

Ron Wenrich

Aren't those pulp saws called a sally saw?

Jeff

The sally saws I am aware of were a ring saw.  almost had a boat moto type look to them. We may have a photo on the forum of one I'll have to look.

Jeff

Redpowered took these photos awhile back

dad2nine

Quote from: Tom on May 24, 2006, 08:57:33 PM
The middle circle blade looks like the blades used on wheel saws. 

Many of those in this area don't have points on the tips of the teeth.  Instead there is a groove that can be sharpened with a rat tail file or straight round file (kinda like a chainsaw file).  Others have filed points and set. 

The saws were used mostly for bucking pulpwood, but, were also used to take down small trees.  They were very dangerous and have been outlawed in the timber industry.

These pictures were taken by Jeff when he visited me this last winter.  We were in Waldo Florida at Tom's Cypress on US-301.

Tom - that thing looks like some kind of medevil torture device, don't fire it up!

scsmith42

I'm wondering if the circular blade on the right is from some type of feed mechanism?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sawguy21

Tom's saw does not look right to me. Is the blade reversed or is it the negative? The engine should rotate clockwise facing the front. Either way, I agree with Ian. I would be scared to use it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

getoverit

The blade on the right looks like a gear to a big clock.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Tom

These are pictures of Wheel Saws (also just called Power Saws)
taken in the 1950's.  They were popular for
pulpwood operations, but, outlawed because
of their danger.  The blade could be used
vertically for bucking, or, turned horizontally
for brushing and felling of small trees.

sawguy21

Notice the lack of PPE :D If the blade pinches or hits the ground, that handle is going to give him an awful whack below the belt. Now we know why we have OSHA.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Sawyerfortyish

The saw I have is a slightly smaller version of Toms. Jeff the blade turns vertical as well as horrizotal. But I don't think it's a pulpwood saw. As there hasn't been a pulp market in N.J. that I've ever heard of. I think it's a brush saw but can't explain why the blade turn vertical. The wheels are solid with a straight tread. The saw blade is about 20" in dia. The moter looks to be about 5 HP.

Dan_Shade

safety is a funny thing, some are super safe all the time, other people never seem to care.  I'd be terrified to use one of those types of saws, but like a lot of things, they may not be so bad if you are very attentive to what you're doing.

maybe someday, people will saw logs with lasers, and look at our pictures and say "no way I'd be near that sharp metal stuff"
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

isawlogs

I , for one , would love to try one of those at least once .
Ya only come around once , might as well make the best of it . Now , I aint ready to jump out of a perfectly good working plane , but this I would really like to try out .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

highpockets

We had one of those when I was a kid. Man, I'm glad I grew up a little.  My uncle bought it for a brush saw but with no drive mechanism, it took a real man to push it into the brush. 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

moosehunter

I forgot all about starting this thread smiley_confused

The large tooth saw does indeed look like a feed wheel now that I have looked at the teeth closer.

Whats the best way to keep the from rusting away? I was thinking of rubbing some oil on them and hanging them out ofthe weather.

Mike
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Sawyerfortyish

If your not going to use them to cut wood why not paint them with black paint

Thank You Sponsors!