iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wicked pilot antics

Started by Quartlow, May 22, 2006, 09:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA-Sawyer

Did it have the Lycoming 150Hp STC installed ? If so then you are the third person I know of to have such an experience.  I met another fellow with a similar story at an Instructors Refresher in Ohio about 5 years after I had my 'little experience'.
VA-Sawyer.

UNCLEBUCK

Yep , lycoming 150 in it with the trike gear and pants.  Also I use to spin a 150hp texas taildragger c-150 and never had any problems.   
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Norm

Bob Hoover is quite the legend, I remember the FAA bs and was not impressed with it. One of the major things that has turned me off to flying is all the regs and red tape to fly. The last straw was after the terrorist attacks, insurance, red tape and new rules just got worse. I keep threatening to turn the bottom field into a strip and thumb my nose to em.

UB my flight instructor would make me do the same practice for landing. No yoke controls only the power, trim and rudders right down the runway 10' off.

sawguy21

I used to watch helicopter pilots practice auto rotations, the instructor would roll the throttle off and the machine came in under no power to about 20' off the field then up to try it again. I swear these guys must do them in their sleep.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

VA-Sawyer

Norm & UB,
I made my students do the 'hands off the yoke' thing too, but I made them do it all the way to touchdown.  There is a nose pich change that happens as they fly into ground effect. Most planes want to pitch down, but I've found a few that want to pitch up during the final few feet.  I also made my Insrument students do ILS approches to touchdown under the hood.  Both maneuvers did wonders for the self confidence once they were accomplished correctly.
Norm, I know what you mean about the FAA and regs. It got really bad here after 9/11.  I finally parked the plane in June of '02.  Things are finally getting better around here and I'm starting to get the bug again to fly.  Maybe I'll work on the old bird this summer and get it airworthy again.
VA-Sawyer

woodbowl

Quote from: UNCLEBUCK on May 26, 2006, 12:02:53 AM
Olen I am starting to think you have lived a good one and hope to meet you someday  ;D

UB, I'm still looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  :D I've had a lot of unusual fun but the adrenalin ran low when I knuckled down and had to work for a living.  ::)   I've got my nose to the grind rock with no fun in site. I need an adrenalin fix right now to snap me out of the rut. I hope to build another ultralight soon and be able to take off and land here at home.

Here's what's been going on in our neck of the woods lately.

click for shortened link
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Murf

VA-Sawyer, make that the fourth person.

I had exactly the same situation, and just like UB I think it was the lack of balanced fuel tanks that either caused or greatly contributed to it.

In my case, like yours, I was just high enough to recover, except I was out over the big lake next to us when I did it. I certainly was glad there wasn't any tall sailboats out there that day!!  :D  :o
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

VA-Sawyer

Why do you guys have unbalanced fuel loads in a C-150 while doing aerobatics ?  The fuel selector is either ON or OFF.  If the ball is kept in the center during climbout then any unbalance of fuel will be self correcting.  It was just part of the checklist prior to 'extreem banking and yanking' to double check the engine and fuel guages. (Bossman always made us watch the oil pressure during 0 or negative gees, as we were allowed only 30 seconds of such fun after the pressure fell off.)
     I can remember a few times (usally when the spin would exceed 12 turns ) that the fuel pickups would be unported long enough for the engine to suffer fuel starvation. If you kept the spin going after that, you could get the prop to stop. It would cause a pretty rough shudder in the engine mounts as it came to a halt. It is kinda weird sitting in a spinning plane and the only thing you hear is the air buffeting over the wings and tail, and the sound of the stall warning honking at you. It is almost hypnotic. Recovery is no problem, as the prop starts windmilling again as the airspeed goes over 115-120 during the pullout.   Yep, those were fun times.  Too bad the insurance companies had to kill'em.
VA-Sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!