Sponsors:

The Pledge of Allegiance by Red Skelton

Started by Tom, December 05, 2002, 09:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Turn up your volume, there is sound.
.                    Red Skelton

OneWithWood

I remember watching Red Skelton on TV when I was a boy.  I learned a lot of things from the zany Hoosier comic :)  Mostly I came to understand my fathers wry sense of humor, who was another zany Hoosier.
Thanks for the link
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Bibbyman

Tom,  We had the pleasure and honor of seeing Red Skelton at a live performance some 15 years ago.  He was a national treasure.  

We took along our youngest son who was in his early teen years and too young to remember Red on TV.  Chris was a bit underwhelmed at the opportunity and commented on being "stuck in a stadium full of fugitives from the geriatric ward".  By the end of his performance,  he was won over.

In a time when comics like Eddie Murphy and Robin Williams were popular,  I guess it was hard to believe someone could do clean humor and be so funny.  Plus, we learned he could paint, had written numerous books, and could compose and conduct music.

Thanks for sharing this with us.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

I always hurried home from church choir practice on Red night (I think it was Tuesday night).  He was my favorite.  Who remembers the skit he did with the feather for the United Nations without uttering a word?

Thanks Tom for the plug for Red and for our Country and our Maker.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Brian_Bailey

Our local country radio station plays Red's version of the Pledge often. Every time I hear it, I get real ticked that there are people out there that hold ill will towards us.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

bull

Thanks Tom
       My daughter overheard  Reds pledge while i was listening
 and she wanted a copy of it.. She took it to school w/ her and is going to go on line and play it for her class.... Wow the forum get to go to school !! 8)
                                             Thanks again Bull

bull

by the way she's an eighth grader and though it was cool !! ;)

Noble_Ma

Listening to that reminded me of my Dad.  The whole family loved Red but Dad always seemed to laugh a little harder and louder than the rest.  Great one Tom.

Norm

Red Skelton was one of my favorite shows growing up, thanks for the link Tom it was good to hear him again.

woodman

Jim Cripanuk

SawInIt CA

Only one thought. Goose Bumps!  Awesome Tom.

Dave

whitepe

The world could use a whole lot more Red Skelton's and
I grew up watching him too.

Just recently, Peoria named a street for Richard Pryor.
I can't figure it out. He sure doesn't seem like a role
model to me.  A couple of years ago I stopped in
a CVS pharmacy to pick up a prescription. A sharp, neatly
dressed young African-American man waited on me.  I asked him if anyone ever told him he looked like Richard Pryor
and he said "He's my father"  The young man just got
out of the navy, had been raised by his Grandmother
and hadn't seen his Dad in 10+ years. ???
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

whitepe

Brian,
I know what you mean.  This fall I sold some green 8/4
walnut to an engineer I work with.  His name is Kea Voa Chin.
It's pronounced Wok Chin. He is in his late 20's and is
from Cambodia.  When he was 4 years old, he and his
family of 4 other brothers and sisters, his mom and dad
and grandparents escaped while the Pol Pot regime
was in power.   He and his 4 brothers and sisters all have degrees from Ohio State.  He can't figure out why the
rest of the world is so angry at the U.S. cause to him
it's the greatest country in the world.
Whitepe

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

J Beyer

Thanks for the link.  I've heard the pledge broken down like this before but it has been so long that I've heard it in this way that some of the meaning was almost forgotten.

Thanks for the reminder on the meaning of the words for our pledge!

J Beyer
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Frank_Pender

Thank You, Tom.  I use to use this version of Red's in my classroom or 7th graders.  There was more than one tear across the childrens faces upon completion.  Thanks for the memories. ;)
Frank Pender

Bibbyman

My two granddaughters had worked hard this weekend so I decided to take them with me on a fuel run.  We stopped in at Sonic and got some strawberry Sundays.  Coming back through town,  youngest Brook noted a flag on radio antenna of a passing car.  She asked what it was.  Older sister Alex,  in kindergarten, said ,  "It's a flag we pledge allegiance too."  I asked Alex if she could recite the Pledge of Allegiance and she promptly did without missing a word – even "under God".

I wanted to bring up the rendition by Red Skelton here and let her listened to it but apparently the connection to the wav file is broken.

If anyone else know where it can be found - please post a path to it.
Sawing since '94

hydeoutman

Bibbyman

Being the 4'th of July,  I remembered this topic and decided it was time to bring it up again.

The above link still works.  Scroll down and click on the flag to hear Red Skelton recite the Pledge of Allegiance. 
Sawing since '94

Don P

That gets played on our local radio station fairly often, and never gets old. Thanks for bumping it Bibby.

Toolman

Thank you Tom,

Shared this with my 14 yr old daughter. She said, I quote, " That's a neat way of explaining that".
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

I think Red knew his history.
Some food for everyone's thoughts about the season:

Alex de Tocqueville, French historian who visited the U.S. in the early 1800's:
"Upon my arrival in the United States, the religious aspect of the country was the first thing that struck my attention...The Americans combine the notions of Christianity and of liberty so intimately in their minds, that it is impossible to make them conceive the one without the other... Religion in America...must...be regarded as the foremost of the political institutions of that country.... From the earliest settlement of the emigrants, politics and religion contracted an alliance which has never been dissolved."

John Adams, Second President:
(Speaking of July 4, 1776) - "I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty."
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion...Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

John Jay, First Chief Justice of the Supreme Court:
"Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers."

Patrick Henry, Founding Father:
"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians, not on religions but on the gospel of Jesus Christ! For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here."
"[The Bible] is a book worth more than all the other books that were ever printed."
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

tcsmpsi

Our little, non-profit, run from the kitchen FM station here, plays Red's Mr. Lazwell Pledge of Allegience every morning around the 6AM hour.

When I was a youngster, I had been on stage with both the Red's (Buttons and Skelton) at one of the clubs I used to get to hang out at.  They each drug me up there due to my being a 'red' too. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

SwampDonkey

Good 4th of July thread Tom. ;)

My grandfather was a big fan of Red Skelton. I have seen only a handful of his appearances, mostly PBS reruns. Haven't seen any in years. Some of those skits were on late at night. They seem to be running Red Green and Monty Python now.

Although a distraction from the thread and a little reminiscent, I think Jimmie Durante (The great Schnozzola) should be given honorable mention as well, another of my grandfather's favorites. I think he produced 4 or 5 albums. I like his short role in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World" , in the 'kicked the bucket' scene. :)

Here's some old time radio shows of your favorite comedians.

http://otrcat.com/jimmydurantecollection-p-1458.html
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

zopi

I love that he says it correctly as wel...there is no comma between "Republic, " and "for which it stands."

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!