iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cords of firewood

Started by gumnut, May 22, 2006, 05:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumnut

G'day,

Can someone please clue me up as to the exchange rate for a cord of firewood. It would help me out no end to know how many cubic metres, or tonnes, or even cubic yards or tons to the cord or vice versa.

Cheers,
and many thanks in advance.

Dan_Shade

a cord of firewood is 4x4x8 feet, which is 128 cubic feet which is 3.6 cubic meters
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

getoverit

There is also a "face cord" of firewood, which is 4 feet high by 8 feet long by 16" deep. Generally, this is about as much as you can put into the bed of a long wheel base pickup. Any time I have bought firewood, this is how it is sold. By the pickup load, or dump truck load. A single rear axel dump truck is about a full cord of firewood. ~~plus or minus a little~~
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Dan_Shade

most states have laws about the volume of sales of firewood, here in maryland, firewood can only be sold by the cord.

however, that doesn't keep many people from selling firewood by the pickup, which would be easy to get around by stating 1/3 cord.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

rebocardo

In the USA, it is Federal law that firewood can only be sold by the cord. Most state laws follow that too so they can prosecute people on the state level that disobey.

A pickup with an 8 foot bed holds about 1/2 a cord, a small compact truck with a six footbed holds about 1/4 cord.

Corley5

I'd like to see a copy of the Federal Law.  You got one ???  NO ONE here sells wood by the standard cord or any fraction of one including me.  It'd cost a small fortune in advertising to educate people on the difference and for what reason?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Murf

Rebo, if the US laws are anything like the Cannuckistan laws, and most are just photocopies and translated into metric, the law says that you have to sell firewood by the cord, or fraction of a cord.

So you can sell a 1/3 or 1/4 of a cord no problem, but calling it a "face cord" is not legal.

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/inmc-mc.nsf/vwapj/BuyingFirew_e.PDF/$FILE/BuyingFirew_e.PDF

(Link doesn't seem to work right, but cut & pasted it works ok though  ::) )
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

getoverit

Aparently Florida, Georgia and North Carolina dont need no stinkin federal laws... it is all sold by the pickup or dumptruck load ;D

Since pickup truck beds are different sizes, it pays to look at the load of wood before you pay for it.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

sandman2234

In the richy areas of town, it is also sold by the stack. Usually 10 pieces of wood, stacked two by two and about 5 layers tall.
   It would scare you to know what they charge for this "trunkload" of  designer wood.
       David from jax

Thank You Sponsors!