iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Creatures of habit

Started by Bro. Noble, May 21, 2006, 07:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

When we shut down the Woodmizer for the day,  we have develooped a set routime after 12 years or so.  It's really hard to break those habits that are so long established :( I take the tension off of the blade,  we roll a log on the mill and roll forward any remaining logs on the deck,  I take the measuring tape off my pants and put it on the hydraulic box,  and finally put my safty glasses on the WM seat.  My son Tom comes around behind the mill where we have a cutoff saw and picks up any trimmings that are on the ground and tosses them into a waste bin.  He then backs the head of the mill to the end of the track (where the seat is directly under a strand of romex going to the overhead light) and lowers the cover over the control box.  Well just the past week a new creature has taken up a new habit  and one of us needs to make a change,  but I just can't remember to do stuff different >:(  Now after Tom backs up the sawhead,  a DanG bird  roosts on that strand of romex just over the WM seat and makes a nasty deposit all over my safty glasses ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Max sawdust

Why break habits that do not hurt anything?  I think the FF is a habit for many of us :D  One could argue it is not a good habit, cause it cuts family or work time :D :D ::)

I have not been milling very long, but have distinct set of things I do when I am finished for the day, many of them the same as yours ;)  (Load another log, rearrange the deck, clean up around the mill.)  I hang my ear muffs above the ignition switch, and my Axe and tape measure hang on the battery box.  Always, the same exact place ::) ::)
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Texas Ranger

Brother Noble, I do hope that  you clean those glasses occaisionally, other wise you will have a crappy outlook all day.   8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

pigman

Bro. Noble, the only solution, since it would be difficult to change your habits and impossible to change the bird's habits, would be to place a board directly under the wire to catch the bird droppings.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Fla._Deadheader

Skin the wires ???  ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Texas Ranger

Jodi

Quote from: Texas Ranger on May 21, 2006, 08:55:49 AM
Brother Noble, I do hope that  you clean those glasses occaisionally, other wise you will have a crappy outlook all day.   8)

:D :D :D

Bro. Noble

Oh,  Jodi,  You need to ignore that Texas guy----not encourage him ::)  He's almost as bad as your Dad ;) :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Texas Ranger

I resemble that remark!!!!!!!!! 8)

DanG

Bro. Noble, there's no reason to be unkind to the pore little bird, as TR suggests.  Just leave your hat over your glasses when you go in at night.  This will leave you with a bright outlook, but may leave you vulnerable to unseemly nicknames.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

mikeandike

Looking for a slabber
WMLT40HD

Mr Mom

You could bild it a house and have a mill bird.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Gary_C

Is a "bird Feeder" a ladder for a cat?   ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jodi

Quote from: Gary_C on May 22, 2006, 10:25:00 AM
Is a "bird Feeder" a ladder for a cat?   ;D

Well then you'll have a mill cat.  8)

Furby

Think I'd rather deal with the bird deposit then the cat deposit though! ;D

Jodi

:D

At least the cat would probably make use of all that sawdust. The bird is a little less discreet.  ::)

Furby

But the smell......... smiley_airfreshener

Jodi

Texas Ranger

Furby

treecyclers

Did I mention that I love cats?
They taste like Chicken!
:D :o :D :o :D :o ;D :o :P
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Furby

Got plenty for ya, send me an addy! ;D

JimBuis

Good habits are good.  ;D  Bad habits are bad. :(  Sometimes, good habits can be bad. :o

When you are ready to cross a street, you watch carefully for cars as you look to the left then look to the right.  This is a good habit for an American ;).......in America........, but if you are an American.........in Tokyo.....it can get you killed. :D

This is a true story about how I almost died my first week in Tokyo some years ago.  It's okay though as I lived to tell the tale. 8) 8)

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Thank You Sponsors!