iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Things I have learned about my new mill (humor)

Started by derhntr, May 19, 2006, 05:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derhntr

Ok I have a new WM LT40HDG28. As a rookie sawyer I have been learning about sawing and about my new mill.

1. I am not real good with the Accuset yet.
2. You will saw wedges if you forget to lower a toe board (did that twice)
3. Saw will not cut if you don't turn the blade on (did that once)
4. Sawhead will stop if, blade guides,debarker,contact wide spot in log
5. Bark  will stop sawhead if big enough to catch in a log stop.
6. No one wants 7 inch boards
7. 7 inch boards make 6 inch boards and stickers
8. Debarker works better when you turn it on. (did that once)
9. Lube Mizer works much better if turned on.
10. Lube Mizer runs longer if you turn the water on.

I am sure I will learn more today ;D

Brian
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Cedarman

11.  Blade wont cut if teeth point right.  (blade reversed)
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

highpockets

What is wrong with a 7" board?    :D   I figure it will go through a planer, I'll keep it. 

We've all done it, and I still do it regularly.  Good luck, it'll get better.

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

twoodward15

You should send all 7 inch and odd size boards to me for disposal, being sure to cut many 7 inch boards of cherry and walnut.  Poplar will work well too as well as any odd size board above 12 inches wide.  Nobody will want those ones either.LOL ;D
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Todd

12. If you hit a fence arm, DO NOT just lower the fence and keep going!!
(how would I know that??)
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Tom

Brian,
You will also find that the 6" boards should have been 7 inch boards when a customer tells you that you didn't leave him enough room to straight edge the boards.  :-\

You can't win.  You just have to have lots of different answers.  :D

Part_Timer

Log stays in place better if you use the dogs

board comes off better if you cut through that last 1/4 inch of log.

mill runs better if you take the key with you.

You'll find lots of other ones as you keep sawing

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

getoverit

13. remember to raise the head BEFORE backing up ( dont ask how I know this) ;D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Mikeysmill

Don't ask your wife to tail boards off the mill after you just spent $250 in blades....and she found out!!!! Yeah  :o I did that.....Yes, she really does like to help me on the mill!!!!!

dad2nine

Left hand is forward and reverse, right hand is head up and down - Thats right I learned the hard way, yikes... :o

brdmkr

Blade is HORIZONTAL when PUSHING, VERTICAL when PULLING.  Can't leave out us swingblade guys ;)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

woodmills1

Logs are real hard to pick up if you push them off the left side of the mill :D or the stops work much better when they are up. :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

jackpine

Check your gas level before the head is 30" up and ¾ 0f the way thru the log.

Tim L

I can relate to the stops not being up and rolling off the other side !
Do the best you can and don't look back

Left Coast Chris

The blade sawing sound changes when the log holding device (2-1/2" schedule 80 steel pipe) with cam)  is higher than the blade.......Hey........it went 1" before the blade crashed......must have been self sharpening  :'(

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

mike_van

And this goes for any mill - metal makes a funny sound when you hit it  >:(
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Qweaver

And I make an equally funny sound when the blade hits metal :D
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

getoverit

I usually say dirty words, and you can bet your sweet bippy it aint "DanG" ;D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

DanG

Me neither, Ken.  It's usually something like, "Ding-DanG dingitty DanG it".  Sometimes I'll go as far as a "dadgummit" or an "Aw shucks."
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Paul_H

I haven't heard such language since Johnboy Walton came home from an evening at the Speakeasy over at Charlotteville.Course none of it would have happened in the first place if he hadn't had some of Pappa's recipie at the Baldwin sisters recital.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Percy

Quote from: Paul_H on May 21, 2006, 12:34:45 AM
I haven't heard such language since Johnboy Walton came home from an evening at the Speakeasy over at Charlotteville.Course none of it would have happened in the first place if he hadn't had some of Pappa's recipie at the Baldwin sisters recital.
:D :D Ahhhh yes, the Baldwin sisters  :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Raphael

First week with my new sawmill I learned the best way to make wood bananas is to split a long hickory log right down the center.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!