iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yep, Dat's a Yooper

Started by Jeff, December 03, 2002, 12:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Ron Scott or Chet, Recognize da buildens?

From the DNR gal I got this from: "I sent the first one to our wildlife crew asking if the guy came in for a deer check.  They sent me back the two photos and said, "as a matter of a fact, he did!"

They had never seen the first photo and I had never seen the two they sent me--we got them from different sources."

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

He must have made the local newspapers there. The buildings and street does look somewhat familiar.
~Ron

OneWithWood

Geez!  The deer in Yooper land must be lighter or the men stronger! :o

I am sure the deer must be lighter.  Perhaps CWD?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WV_hillbilly

Boy I thought some of us hillbillys looked funny strapping our deer on our four wheelers to get them to the check in station. That guy is insane to ride like that . Some slobs down here might think the deer was still alive and shoot him in the process.

hillbilly
Hillbilly

ADfields

Man you wont find me in WV in deer season now! :o   You should get them boys eyes checked down ther, the round legs, houses, cars and blacktop road would be a clue to most hunters up hear. :D
Andy

chet

My guess is that he must be down south in the Stephenson  area cause it don'T look like he has  SNOW TIRES on his bike .   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Weekend_Sawyer

"Put on the lard and Onyons honey, I'm gonna gut you a Buck!"

I just saw "Escanaba in Da Moonlight" bought it on amazon.com. I'v wached it twice and think it;s great. The Loveley Miss Celest on the otherhand just growns and wanders off to keep herself buisy, like cleaning the bathroom, which is also good... ;)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Bro. Noble

Jeff,

Pardon me, but there are some things about this thread that I don't understand.  I hope you don't mind me asking, but is a yooper a person from Michigan?  If so are they from Upper or Lower or either?  I'm a little confused about what it is in the picture that identifies this person as a Yooper.  We have lots of people here that ride bikes, but they are mostly kids.  We have lots of people here that wear fur, but they are mostly women.  We have lots of people here who check in deer, but they are mostly city dudes.  What's a Yooper?

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

Jeff told me once.  Upper Peninsular=UP=yooper, a Mich. term. :D

Weekend_Sawyer

I was in Michigan a few years ago, I pronounced it "yaper" and was corrected. It is pronounced "youper"
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

chet

The true pronounciation is youuuuuuuuper. :)
It sure is lonely UP here being the  only youuuuuuuuuper on the member map so far. :'(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Jeez Chet you must know somebody you can invite. Chet, I was told that Bicycle guy was taken in Iron Mountain

chet

I'm surprised Ron didn't get it . The first pic looks to be the Nat'l Guard building on carpenter ave right by Nelson Paint in Iron Mountain. But the second looks like the old business district of Kingsford.
He has to be on his way home, or he's going the wrong way  :o, cause the DNR check station is way on the other end of town.

Corley5

Never had a deer come into one my check stations that way.  At one of the early elk hunts a Native American had drawn a permit.  He and some members of his tribe shot an animal west of Atlanta.  Having no way to load it into or on top of their old van they hooked a chain around its neck and drug it to the Check Station at the Atlanta Field Office which was about seven miles from the kill site.  There wasn't much hide left on the bottom side.  After we checked and weighed it we loaded it on to the roof of their van with the tractor and they were off.
Another time some a Yooper from around Marquette drew an elk permit.  He and his hunting party brought the animal in and after weighing etc asked if we would leave it hanging on the loader for them to skin it.  We weren't busy and let them do it.   This was a Sept. hunt and it was in the seventies.  They wanted to quarter it and pack it in ice.  They got off to kind of slow start and we asked them if it'd be easier if we the pulled the whole rig into the garage and turned off lights and gave them a flashlight figuring they were probably more accustomed to doing this kind of thing at night not in broad daylight.  We all had a good laugh  ;D :D :D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ADfields

If I can get my criter neer a frount loader or even a good 4X4 truck (dont spin the tires) I peel the hide off and get a beter faster job that way.   It works great with Mule Deer, Elk and Sheep, have not had a chance to try it with moose and have never lived around Whitetail Deer but I dont see why it would not work the same way.  
Andy

Bro. Noble

Whitepe,

My sister-in-law worked at that big hotel on that big island near that big bridge up there.  I can't remember the names.  She was talking about fudgies, but I don't remember what she said.  I doubt I need to know anyway.  I already know a lot more stuff than I remember anyhow.

By the way,  on some other thread you asked If I'd heard some song by someone on a couple of guys show.  No I never heard of any of them. We have a TV but I hardly ever watch it because it doesn't work.

Noble

Bro. Noble

Whitepe,

Your kodacs enabled me to figure this whole thing out----- those yoopers and fudgies are just subspecies (or do you consider them mutations) of damnyankees.  Right?

Noble

Jeff

O.K. Hear is an explanation of terms. A yooper is a resident of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. You pretty much have to be born there to be a real Yooper. Just living there is not good enough, although in some instances if you have been there so long that folks forget you were ever from some place else you can slip in. Yooper is not a derogatory term. It is a title worn proudly by those that can. I spend a lot of time up there but I know that I can never be a Yooper. The best I can do is Yooper wannabe, and earn the respect of the yoopers enough not to be considered a fudgie. I am however a Troll.

The straights area of Michigan where the Mackinac bridge (pronounced mackinaw) is located, the narrow passage between Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, is famous for its fudge shops. Noteably the shops on Mackinac Island. Probably many of you have heard of Mackinac Island Fudge.

Well, Fudgies are simply tourists that flood the area and into the U.P. every tourist season. They are not residents of or near the area. Whitepe is a fudgie. He does have reletives that have a place in the U.P. but problem is they are fudgies too, so whitepe ahould not be referred to as a simple fudgie, but more like a number 2.  ;D  Some fudgies are trolls. Fudgie is a derogatory term, where as troll is not.

A troll is a term for lower Michigan residents that live "Underneath the bridge" "Troll" of course a reference to the story Billygoat Gruff where the troll lives under the bridge.

Here is a link to the yooper language.
http://www.ring.com/yooper/glossary.htm

Corley5

Whitepe,
  You need to remember that those Yoopers were there before tourist started bringing Greenbacks there way and got along just fine.  I'm sure they'll still be there after the tourists are gone.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Yup, more tourists simply means more road kill. ;D

Texas Ranger

whitepe, y'all spell that word wrong.  It's damyankee.  One word, one breath.  Southren boys know it well. ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

Which reminds me of a story.  Y'all know why damyankees are like hemorroids?  When they come down and go back up they are not to bad.  But when they come down and stay, they are a real pain in the ---! 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bibbyman

Down here we have "the boat people".  Highway 54 is a major route to the Lake of the Ozarks.  In the summer months,  every other vehicle on the road is pulling a boat or skidoo and has Illinois plates on it.  Every third has Indiana or Ohio plates.  Friday evening they are heading west.  Sunday evening they are heading east. You'd think they didn't have water back there.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

OneWithWood

Bibby,
I live by and sail on the largest body of water in Indiana, Monroe Lake (not counting that bit of Lake Michigan around Gary).  I can honestly say your observation that we must not have any water in Indiana is accurate - we have large puddles but no real water. . .
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Brenda

:-* I'v been told the Yoopers like to call us Trolls and or "berry pickers".... Im not going to even ask where you got that "nick name" from. Not to worry Chet.... I consider myself as a resident of the u.p.   even tho my taxes dont say as much ;)  [this is a wink? ...weak at that]

You guys are funny... this is gonna be great ... have happiness    :D

Thank You Sponsors!