iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut Burl Tree

Started by Dangerous_Dan, May 16, 2006, 08:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangerous_Dan

I'm going to be cutting some walnut trees on my property. 
It's a total of about 5 trees. They all have some type of burl on them. Some are covered and others only in spots or on one side.
I'm looking for advice on if I should just cut them off at the ground or leave them long and remove the stumps as well.
Any value to stumps like these?
I can dig around them and push them over but that would be more work than just cutting them off and covering over the stump.
I don't have a use for any fancy grain lumber but I could cut it and air dry it for fun or just sell the logs. I have had offers to by the logs whole for $1 a bdft.
Here are some pix.
Let me know what you think I should do or if you have any interest tell me before it's too late.

This tree is completely covered.

This one has it on one side only.

A close up of it on one side.

These trees are about 24 inch diameter. A bit of the stumps have already been covered with dirt.

First you make it work, then you trick it out!

woodbeard

I would think that anyone interested in buying the figured wood would also be interested in the stump wood, as this is usually prized for it's figure.

Daren

Quote from: Dangerous_Dan on May 16, 2006, 08:22:11 PM
I don't have a use for any fancy grain lumber

I bet I could find a use for it ;), I would let them stand and shop them to guys like me. Heck if I wasn't so far away, I would come take the ugly things off your hands. If they aren't in the way and are still growing, let them get bigger. The one in the picture that has growths on the one side (north side?) looks kinda sappy and weeping, I am not familiar with that. The one with sound bark and bumps all around look good to me.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

dad2nine

I mean if you really must get rid of them. You could always load up on a truck, stump and all, drive them here to NC and drop em off at my place. I would be more than happy to take them trouble makers of your hands. :D

But seriously, I'm sure you'll find someone local that would be interested in buying them. But they would fetch more if you can let em grow up a little more.

Thanks

woodbeard

Or you could give it to Daren's neighbor for stovewood.  :D

Daren

Rub it in why don't you woodbeard :D, I think "Curly" has enough for next winter.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Dangerous_Dan

The trees have to go so I can continue work in that area.
The question is should I pull the stumps or not?
If I do pull them, how long should I leave the stump?
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Burlkraft

D.D.
I would pull the stumps. Power wash off the rootball and trim it up. Trim it don't saw it. Just cut off the roots that won't amount to anything. Then I would sell them as walnut root burls...whole. Whoever buys them...assumablly a turner....may want to turn it whole or 1/2 or 1/4. So they might want you to saw it also.
That's what I would do. ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

dad2nine

I still say he could drop em at my place, I would be more than happy to take them trouble making trees off his hands...

Jim_Wahl

You might want to give some veneer companies a call. If they like them, they just might
take them out for you, including the root balls, and pay you for the privilege!
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

Left Coast Chris

Dan,

I have burl buyers come by my place here in California every few years.  I know the Calif Black Walnuts (Claro) are a different ball game but generally they pay about a dollar a pound for the mid grade and much more for high grade.  A typical 36" claro burl will go for $1.5k to $5k.  But the important thing is that the burl buyer must handle the removal, tirming, hauling and such.  If you pull the stump it could devalue it.  I would strongly suggest that you find a couple of burl buyers and have them bid on it in the ground and let them handle it. :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

jpgreen

Oh ho- don't cut that first tree Dan, I see all kinds of faces in that one..  :o

That's one of those spooky trees that's got ghost's in em'..   :o :o :o
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Burlkraft

Cut it Dan....Cut it ;) ;) ;) ;)

Send it to Burlkraft...............

Send it to Burlkraft................

Send it to Burlkraft................

Dan's subliminal message for the day ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!