iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

'Lectric chainsaws - who? where? how much?, etc?

Started by Bibbyman, May 16, 2006, 06:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

We've got a Sears 3.5 hp electric chain saw we've been using a couple of years in the sawshed.  We use it mostly for trimming ends of boards but also have used it for cutting heavier things - even butting off logs.

It's light, handy and takes very little maintainance and we use it a lot.

On the other hand,  we have a Stihl 044 and a Husquvarna 261 we can't keep running.  Every couple of months they're in the shop.

I looked at the Stihl and Husquvarna web sites and the ones they make are small compaired to the one we got from Sears AND they are very expensive.

Does anyone make a larger electric chainsaw?  Say one that will take a 24" or larger bar?  Heavy enough to buck up oak logs up to say 36" dia?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tony_T

Logosol sells one thats more powerful than a 066 stihl but it's made to be mounted on a mill , it runs on 220V.  Great for milling but too heavy and not set up to be used like a regular saw.

see:http://www.logosol.com/webb/sawmills/2005a-saw_alternatives_electric_saws.php

sawguy21

That is the problem with electric motors. Power = heavy current draw. Stihl makes the MSE220 but it uses a lot of amps, is DanG expensive,  and won't handle a 24" bar.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bibbyman

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 16, 2006, 09:56:15 PM
That is the problem with electric motors. Power = heavy current draw. Stihl makes the MSE220 but it uses a lot of amps, is DanG expensive,  and won't handle a 24" bar.

Yea,  I got that far in my research. 

Some 45 years ago (when I was a young man) I helped dad cut stave bolts.  We delivered them to a mill.  I remember they had a big one they used to buck up logs.  It was big but still was hand held.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ianab

How about one of these?  :D

OK.. might be a bit more than you were looking for  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

iain

In one of my localism saw mills, they use two 3ph stiles they is way way old but go good style, one's got a 36" bar
i didnt think they made 3ph saw like that, and have not been able to find anything on them

so i think a quick trip up there might be in order

Al_Smith

A liitle historical tid bit on electric saws.Decades ago,before reliable gasoline powered saws were available,they used big huge electric rigs.As the story goes,they hauled big old generators to the woods and ran those heavy old saws.Some of those behemouths were at about 100 lbs. ,ugh.

On a more modern note,somebody sells a chain powered slabbing mill that uses a 10 HP electric motor as power.One must bear in mind the conversion from gasoline to electric is some times at 2 to one or meaning about 20 or more HP would be needed to replace 10 electric.

TeaW

Hey Bibby - Who ? Where? How much? I don't know but here is a pic of me and a electric chainsaw from a basket factory in Shelburne Ontario in 1999
TeaW

limbrat

dolmar has one that is 15amp ,3/8 pitch, and 9 lbs.. on line they only show a 16'' bar. The bar looks small on the saw. You might be able to call and see what else they have. They have only been back in the states for a year or so.
I bought there little ps 510 and it is in my opion it is hands down a better saw than the husky 455 or stihl 310. They did not show a 20'' bar or 3/8 pitch on the web site but when i called the dealer it was a factory option.
ben

alex_30

please keep in mind, that 1hp is not equal with 1 kw (electronical power). you have to multiplay the "kw" with about 1,3 to get the hp.
e.g. 2kw= 2,6hp

maybe this will help ::)
best regards

alex_30

dolmar 172a, ms 170, ms 260 and ms 460

Thank You Sponsors!