iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood mill......

Started by Mr Mom, May 16, 2006, 05:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Mom

Well ..... I might be ordering a mill from Norwood here soon. I think that it might be in the next month or so.
     Now the big question. What add-ons do i get first??
     Some good luck has come my way for once ;) ;).
     I will be getting a lumbermate 2000. The problem is that when i use their build your mill i get everything and go broke. I cant get everything now but need help on what to get to start. I know that i will get a trailer package for it. That is about it for now.
     I there a big different between the 20hp and the 23hp they are priced the same??

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

stumpy

I would get the log loader/turner, Toe boards, and as long as the price is the same, go for more HP.  If you have any thoughts about mobils work, get the trailer package. It's expensive, but well built. In my opinion, unless you are sawing full time, the sharpener/setter is'nt the best use of your money.  I wouldn't get the cant hook from them, I'd get a logrite. You'll never regret it.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

JP

Hi Mr Mom: I think you are making a good choice on the LM2000/
I have had mine for 2+ yrs and love it//
I would buy 1 4' ext. alowing you to cut 16' logs
the Toe bd lifter  and the turner  are nice //
some stuff you can make yourself if your handy and have welding ,tools etc. lots of info and pictures over on the Norwood site to help you.  JP
Norwood lm2000,Newholland 30 hp tractor, log carrier/winch, log arch  JP

Mikeysmill

I have an old Norwood Mark III.......take your time and for the money for the levelers you can buy a small mig welder and make them.  I made a trailer to move my mill and saved a ton of money.  My mill is old and I can not even tell you how many board feet of lumber I have sawed with it, but it is a lot!!! I have found that all Norwood products are "Bullet Proof"  unless you do something crazy with it. I'd go with more Horsepower!!!   Good luck and I'm sure you will have many years of sawing with it a head of you!!! If you get stuck on something the guys and gals  in this forum are more than glad to help you out. I have found the information to be very valuable!!! HAPPY SAWING ...Mike 8)

ohsoloco

I was looking through Norwoods latest newsletter not too long ago, and noticed that they re-designed their toe boards...they now use a bottle jack to lift the ends of the logs.  Nice change from the old ones.  I purchased a set of the old ones when I bought my mill, and wish I hadn't wasted the money.  Most of the time when I needed the toe boards, the logs were so big I couldn't lift them...the pipe usually bent.  Last time I used them (many years ago) the bolts snapped  :(  Now I just put the cant hook under the end of the log, lever it up, and shim it with blocks of wood.  Works for me. 

I've been eyeing up the stainless steel bunk covers.  Mine are so chewed up it only takes a few minutes for a cant go get stained up from the steel. 

pasbuild

Stay away from the Honda 20hp they have a history of poor performance  >:( :(
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Mr Mom

Thanks alot guys :) :) :).
     I keep watching the movie and some of the stuff that they use i could make at home.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

ohsoloco

My Honda GX620 runs like a champ  ;D

solodan

I think you are making a wise choice. :)

I have been reading your post over the last six months and we all know just how bad you want one of these mills. 8)

I'm sure more good luck is headed your way, after the mill gets there.  ;)

I would say buy as much HP as you can afford. Then see what else you have money for. If you don't get all the options all at once, who cares, you will quickly find out the options you can't live without, and the ones you will never use.

Mr Mom

Six months... :o :o :o. Does not feel that long ;).
     Looking at what i have in terms of money coming in i will just get the mill and thats it.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Joel Eisner

I purchased my LM 2000 with a box of blades and that was it.  The trailer package was put together with an axel kit from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company and some square steel stock.  I learned how to weld by making the leveling feet and purchased my grinder/ setter from Stumpy...... Thanks Stumpy.

Joel

I have a review of my mill on our Boothe Mountain Retreat blog
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

lumberjenny

My honda 20hp works great too, I love my mill, like I said before I use my tractor with forks on the back to load the logs, and flip the big ones that i could'nt even think of turning.(my center link is hyd)

ely

i would not trade my honda 20 hp for love nor money.

Thank You Sponsors!