iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmaster planers

Started by OneWithWood, December 03, 2002, 02:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

Greetings all,
I have an opportunity to purchase a Woodmaster Model 718 18" planer for approximately $1450.  This is a new unit.  I know I will need a planer in the next six months or so.  I am not familiar with Woodmaster products (it ain't orange) so I would appreciate any comments on the quality of Woodmaster products.
Thanks,
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

shades

onewithwood
 i dont know how they work,but they have a website www.woodmastertools.com . let us know how it works if you get it
    shades :)
Ben

GarryW

I remember this was discussed in the last few months, but I forget which forum. ???

I have the 25 inch model. After a few startup problems I haven't had any problems with it other than a some feeding issues with dirty rollers. I've done a lot of planing, ripping, and moulding with it. I haven't used the sander yet.

Make sure that you get the wheel set. And, if you can get the "Pro-Pak" with it - you may find that it is worth it. YOu never know when you'll want to make moldings or rip something down.

Also, you will really need a good dust collector. I've planed a few boards without it turned on and what a difference.

The price is good, but is that with shipping included? I know that they just sent a truckload up to Maine with free shipping. That was a deal. Shipping to NH cost around $500.  :o

garry
Garry

OneWithWood

GarryW,
Thanks for the reply.  That price is for pickup at a freight terminal in Cincinnati, Ohio which is a two and a half hour drive for me each way. :(
I really won't need the planer for about six months but I hate to pass up a good deal!
One With Wood

Tom

I have an eighteen and a half that I bought for my wife a few years ago.  It is a good shop planer and I got a second head because she wanted to make moldings and that would keep me from having to change knives so much.  I've never used it for moldings. I have used it for dressing rough wood and it does a good job.

It is not as heavy as a cast iron planer and therefore not quite as stable but it doesn't hurt it for shop applications.  If I were to plane rough wood on a production basis, I think I would opt for a heavier frame.

GarryW

That sounds like the same deal that they did last month in Maine. They had a truck sent there because of a bulk buy from a local workworking club and they offered the same deal to others in the area. You then picked it up at a freight depot.

Make sure that your unit was tipped in shipment like mine was. And make sure that you can keep it upright when you take it home.
Garry

GarryW

geez, I really should proof read what I write.....;P

I meant "make sure that it was NOT tipped in shipment"  :D
Garry

bgautsch

I have had the Woodmaster 26 inch Drum Sander about 10 years, which is similar in construction.  I did the update to the conveyor bed with no problems.  Overall, I would say their equipment is well engineered and quality for the price.  Good luck!
bgautsch

flhtc

We use a woodmaster planer for planing and molding.  I would agree that if you want to do a lot of planing of rough cut lumber a heavy cast iron machine would be better.  The woodmaster will remove 1/16 of an inch in one pass and leave a good finish.  The molding attachment works well also however I was not pleased with the last set of moulding knives I bought form them.

My brother in law also has an 18" woodmaster planer.  He has had the same results as I have.  He has the gang rip shaft for his which also works good but takes too long to set up for short runs.  

By the way this is my first post,  I have been lurking in the shadows for a while.

FLHTC
FLHTC

Tom

Welcome aboard FLHTC.  looks like a Harley model :D

flhtc

Tom,

2001 Electra Glide Classic with 19,000 miles on it.  How many hours would that be in saw mill terms?  It will probably start to miss me when I get my mill.  I don't think it will be able to pull a load of logs.

FLHTC

Tom

You won't believe how much you are going to enjoy it.

Many on site custom sawing jobs are several days long and you only need a truck to pull the mill. There are two options.  
1) first day, set the mill up and then ride the bike the other days. You will have to have a tool box on the mill and a blade box on the bike.

2) Put the bike in the back of the truck.Hook the mill up and go to work.  Ride the bike home and leave the truck. You will still need a blade box on the bike. ;D

What a way to unwind. 8) 8)

OneWithWood

Welcome, FLHTC and thanks for the reply.

I be an old Triumph, BSA, Norton kinda guy but many of my biker buds ride Milwaukee iron.  Good road bikes. 8)
One With Wood

Norm

We bought the model 725 when we found that the Jet 15" would not do some of the wider pieces like crotch wood that we wanted to use. It takes a while to get used to and make sure you get a good dust blower. The moulder takes a while to get set up right but does a decent job. I made some flooring for our new house this summer out of q-sawn white oak. Man is that stuff hard! Sure would like one of those moulders that Woodmizer sells.

Brian_Bailey

Norm_F -  

Welcome to the forum. That sure is a nice looking floor. Nice job!  I like the looks of white oak over red.  It just seems to be a pretttier wood to me anyways.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Tom

This is what you need those Wi-i--i--de planers for.

For the floor guys,   ...the floor!

GarryW

onewithwood,
 Always keep a couple of the fuses for the feed drive system handy. I believe that they are 5A slow blow ones. They will come in very handy when you jamb up something and the fed rollers try to keep rolling.

Garry

Thank You Sponsors!