iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl Equivalent to McCulloch Pro Mac 610

Started by Jim Roy, May 15, 2006, 09:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Roy

I've got a 610 for heavy duty cutting and a Stihl 018c for light duty.   The 610 is becoming more of a handfull then I want to put up with.  (At 63 I've got carpal tunnel starting in both hands/wrists and am still recovering strength from a broken bone and two separated ligaments in the left hand)

Does anyone have any recommendations on which Stihl model would cut about like the 610 but have less vibration and weight?

Thanks, Jim   

Brian_Rhoad

The Stihl 044 is about the same as our Pro Mac 700. The next size down should be about like the 610. Maybe an 038?

sawguy21

Running that Mac 610 ??? No wonder you are exhausted  :D Seriously, the MS361 might fit your needs. Light, good power and a LOT smoother. The 038 is kinda heavy and no longer available in North America
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

Yup.. MS361.
Both are 60cc, but the Stihl will be lighter, smoother and more powerfull.  8)

If weight is an issue you could look at a MS260, smaller saw but will run the same bar size as the Mac610. The 260pro model has a decompress valve that would make for easier starting if the hands and wrists are playing up.

Both those models are in Stihls professional range, the good ones  ;)

Go down to the saw shop and have a look, wave them around and see how they feel  :)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

The old 610 Macs were a tad heavy for 60 cc.Pretty good old saw,in spite of the bad rap a lot have given them.Mine is in semi retirement these days as I have better saws to use but still gets a run ,now and then.I might add that the old relic has worn out 5 bars and about a five gallon bucket full of of chain loops,still runs strong after all these years.

The 038 Stihl,is in fact the same cc s',being 3.72 cu inchs versus 3.7 for the Mac.They were one of the better saws Stihl ever made,in my opinion,replaced by the 044 in the line up.

Most likely a 361 would be a good choice as a replacement .

Jim Roy

Thanks for the advice folks.

Bought an MS 361 C-Q this morning and got to buck a birch this afternoon.  With less then a tank through it the saw cuts better then the 610 and is getting stronger.  (Book with it says max power aftter 5-15 tank fillings.)   Balance is better as is weight.  Its also smoother and easier to start.  It seems easier to controll also.  This was a happy surprise as I had a 16' bar on the 610 and got the 361 with an 18'

Thanks again.

Jim

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

alex_30

best regards

alex_30

dolmar 172a, ms 170, ms 260 and ms 460

maple flats

JIm, that 18' (foot) bar must be for the Redwoods in your back 40!    :D :D;D
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

logger

He must have added a HEMI to it!  That would be one HEAVY and FAST chainsaw! :D :D :D :D ;D 8) :) ;)
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

Thank You Sponsors!