iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Great milling weather

Started by ohsoloco, December 02, 2002, 07:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

What a perfect weekend for milling!  Temperatures in the high 20's to low 30's here in central PA.  My neighbor came out yesterday talking to me like I was crazy for being outside...I couldn't ask for better weather   :)   I really did try to take some pictures for yunz (is that word only a PA thing?) to see, but my digital camera died on me.  Those nice red oak crotch boards reminded me of why I got into milling urban timber in the first place.  I still wasn't very happy when I hit a nail on the second cut of a new blade!  I hope all the other yanks are having as much fun as I am milling in this blustery cold weather!  Actually, the weather channel said some of you other fellas down south might be getting some of this beautiful cold weather pretty soon ;D    Just trying to share the love  :-*

Tom

brrrrrrrrr-r-r--r----r

Maybe your camera froze and all the little pixels fell out on the ground and shattered.  Or, the batteries froze.  Or,.............
Whadaya mean we're going to get that cold weather!?  I'm-m-m g-g-g-going to m-m-move South if I c-c-can find any more of it.brrrrr-r-r-r-r-r---r--r--r-

woodmills1

I was out cutting all day sunday.  Temp went from 21 up to 30 and back to 26, wind went from 5 mph to 25 with gusts to 40.  No matter which way I looked I got sawdust ina face.  Not much fun but the mizer worked lika dream and together we cut $495 worth of sold product.  If it stays like this I hope the fence company that ordered the boards has a good auger to cut through the frost. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Brian_Bailey

As I'm writing this at 8:49 am it is minus 2 degrees F. and we got 18" of snow since Sunday morning! I just love WNY, Lake Erie and lake effect snow ::) .
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Minnesota_boy

I spent 9 hours custom sawing on Sunday, carrying large boards over ruts frozen into the ground and prying and hammering the frozen logs apart so I could mill them.  I could barely walk on Monday from all the sore muscles.  I'm done until it warms up a bunch (except my own).
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Jeff

We had 80 below 0F this morning. We sawed, but it twas slow going till things warmed up to 10 below at daylight. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ohsoloco

I think I'll keep sawing this winter until I have to shovel the logs out to roll them on the mill  ;)  It was ten degrees this morning, and didn't get a whole lot warmer, but what a beautiful sunny day  ;D

ADfields

Well up here in cold Alaska it was 33 for the low and 41at my place for a hi, 39 at the Palmer airport.   The news people are talking about a brown Christmass this year! :'(   I'm a white Christmass kind of guy.   I need some white stuff and some ice over the ponds so I can get some logs out of the woods befor spring.   This is UNREAL hear!
Andy

Haytrader

19 degrees in S W Ks. this morning with what looks like about 7 or so inches of snow. They are calling for a little more today. Will take the rifle this morning as there will be a coyote looking for a rabbit or a calf. Wish I had the roof on my saw mill shed like I had planned to do. Dang bypass surgery sure left a few projects unfinished.
Haytrader

Minnesota_boy

I've seen 1 brown Christmas in 50 years of living here, and we had to drive 250 miles south to see that.  I'd like to have a few more of them.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Noble_Ma

It was 2 out this morning and my dog couldn't have been happier!  She rolled around in the snow and looked like I just gave her a big steak bone.  I think the woodstove gets the house to hot for her.

Kevin_H.

Woke up this am with our first snowfall for the year, Depending on which station you listen to, anywhere from 2" to 5" by the time it stops tonite.

I pushed a little around with the bobcat but decided to come in and see who else was on the forum. ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Tom

You guys are nuts!?!?
Don't you reallize it's cold out there?
A fellow could die and not be found til spring.
Charlie tells me that conversations last for months in Minnehaha
In the spring you catch up on all the gossip as it thaws.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Gimme the South!

Bro. Noble

You are absolutely right Tom.  We got that stuff that Haytrader was telling about and that Kevin H is getting.  They had predicted ours would be preceded by 1/2 to 1 inch of ice.  Fortunately that didn't materalize.

I was hoping to get to set by the fire after milking, but had just finished when the milk hauler came.  He said I'd have to blade the hill of feed him till the snow was gone.  As soon as I had him on his way I decided I'd just as well plow out the neighbors while I had the blade on.  Then figured I might as well put out some extra hay while I had the tractor out.
I like to a froze!  Took the blade off and came to the house to warm up and take on nourishment.  Called my son to see what was up.  He said if I could stand to do that stuff this morning there wasn't any reason why we couldn't saw this afternoon.  My little box on the left of the screene says 28F.  If I don't post anymore, you'll know I froze.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

:D you might've been better off to get out a cot and an extra plate for the milkman. :D

Those youngsters don't seem to mind the cold too much.  I guess it's because they can move a little quicker.  Be sure to take you a big thermos of Coffee.  Heck, even if you don't drink it you can use it to get your hands unstuck from the tractor steering wheel so you can get into the house. :-/ :D

Haytrader

Got the 1 ton stuck in deep snow while feeding this morning. Snow was 9" at the Ok. ranch.
This afternoon while I pushed snow with the tractor, my son and hired hand installed a blade on the 4 wheeler. The neighbor saw how it worked and the last I saw it and my son, they were 3 neighbors away.
Hired hand loaded the back of his pickup with cedar logs for weight.
I think this would be a good time to take a trip to Florida.
Don't know how you Nawthen boys do it.
Haytrader

bull

great weather...... OK ??????
   1 below here ..... Accusett had a chill had to put on a heating pad so i could read the screen..... I usually sit on the heating pad keeps the buns from getting frost bite. Saw head would not got up or down, the rails were covered w/ ice and frozen to the head.  A little more heat and we were sawing... got about 600 bfd cut. when I heard 2 gun shots.... My dad got a 150 lb Doe, real pretty deer.  One shot behind the left ear.... Now I can make the venision stew to keep the belly warm. So i guess the weather was great after all.... Still shaking the snow out of the christmas trees....

Brian_Bailey

Here's is a shot of my shop that I took this am. Had to get up on the house roof and shovel off the snow before it warms up and gets too heavy.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Tom

What was the second shot for, Bull?

Cold, you guys......that's cold.     10:15 pm here now and it's 52F.  I won't go outside.
 :D

Haytrader

Brian,

Your place is pretty as a picture.. ;)

Tom,

I feel so sorry for you... :'(
Not
Haytrader

ADfields

I wish some of that stuff would come up hear where it's spost ta be!!!   Today was 42 and raining :-[ I would live in Portland if I wanted this.  ::) :-[
Andy

bull

He had five deer in front of him, must have tried for the buck.There we also three other does

This year in Mass. he is allowed  two bucks and one doe.
 He used his doe permit so now he has to go for the antlers

Thank You Sponsors!