iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My uncle was right

Started by dancan, May 14, 2006, 07:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dancan

Years ago as my cousin and i listened to AC/DC ,Blue Oyster Cult ,Peter Frampton , Pink Floyd , etc... quite loud and enjoying all the other things that went along with life at that time , one of my uncles who was only a few years older than us said "it doesn't matter what you listen to now you'll come back to country where it started "
He was right !
A few decades later i find myself listening to all the bluegrass i can find (still play it loud and enjoy life )  8)
Anyone else got words of wisdom that sounded like cowpie at the time only to make sense or come true later ?

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

mikeandike

Bluegrass...yeah I've really been getting into that for the last couple
of years.

We got a vehicle with XM satellite radio. Tuned in the bluegrass (and the
blues ) channels and have been hooked since.

We listen at our day job too now. Really makes the day better.
The pace at work is super fast and the bluegrass really smooths
the rhythm out.

Blues are pretty cool also. We switch back and forth.

Looking for a slabber
WMLT40HD

Corley5

I've always liked real country music, Willie, Waylon, Hank Sr., Buck Owens, Roy Clark, Grandpa Jones, etc.  I DO NOT like today's country music.  I'll ride in silence in a vehicle before I listen to it on the radio.  If someone else if driving and they turn it on I'll turn it off.  It ranks right up there with smoking as far as I'm concerned ;D  It grates on my nerves especailly when someone starts singing along with it  ;)  Give me good rock or good ole country anyday  8) 8) :)   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

pasbuild

I grew up on late 60s and 70s rock the only thing
close to that now a days is modern country so thats what I listen to
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

JimBuis

Quote from: dancan on May 14, 2006, 07:42:23 PM
Anyone else got words of wisdom that sounded like cowpie at the time only to make sense or come true later ?

My dear ole Dad used to say to me, "Whatever job you pick, it'd better be something you like cuz you're gonna spend most of your life doing it!"

Like a whole lot of people in my generation, I thought the money was where I wanted to be. :'(  Unfortunately, it took me 40 years to figure out that this is one thing my old man got right. :(

At least I did figure it out though. ;)
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Sprucegum

And my Dad told me    "It doesn't matter how much money you make - its how much you spend that gets you in trouble!"

Took me a few years to figure that out  ;D

RichlandSawyer

When i was a youngster my dad always had lifesavers candy in his pocket and just like the old commercials he would pull the roll out of his pocket hold it out to me and say "son,,, get your own darn lifesavers, these are mine!!!"
I was probably 14 or 15 before i understood what he was trying to teach me. Dad passed away when he was 57 and my boys never had the chance to experience his intelligence and wit but i am passing it along to them best i can.
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

RichlandSawyer

Bye the way, I'm not sure he even liked lifesavers.
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

CHARLIE

I enjoy listening to Rock and Roll from the mid to late 50's, all the 60's and early 70's and I also enjoy the Blues.........especially from blues greats like Muddy Waters, BB King and such.  I can't hack Bluegrass and can only stand some country.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

asy

Quote from: RichlandSawyer on May 14, 2006, 10:26:25 PM
"son,,, get your own darn lifesavers, these are mine!!!"

When my kids were little, whenever they got a packet of chips or similar they had two choices, try and open them theirselves (which inevitably meant at least half the pack on the floor) or come and ask me to open them.

Of course, mostly they came and asked me to open them. Of course that meant I got a chip (or two) as commission for opening the pack.

The kids used to cry "Don't take my chips", I'd say "nothing's for nothing dear, if I have to do the work of opening the pack, I want commission. If you want to open it yourself and risk losing half to the floor, go for it".

The girl child got smart fast, faster than the boy one, she used to come with the pack and negotiate...  "Now, mum, just ONE SMALL chip, OK?" hehe.

Oh, and, (back to the topic) I don't mind some country (but don't tell anyone) but I much prefer Rock or Jazz.

asy :D

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

jimbo

old country is all my radio will play  8)   shoud i get it looked at ?

Jeff

Some northern words of wisdom and instruction from the first winter day I worked in da woods from an old logger was to wear spenders and duct tape yer long johns to yer socks so as you dont get bunchy toe and knee creep. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Trax

A new broom sweeps clean but an old broom knows the corners better

Can't is a four-letter word

By the time you figure out I'm right you'll have kids that won't believe ya

ellmoe

[
When my kids were little, whenever they got a packet of chips or similar they had two choices, try and open them theirselves (which inevitably meant at least half the pack on the floor) or come and ask me to open them.

Of course, mostly they came and asked me to open them. Of course that meant I got a chip (or two) as commission for opening the pack.

The kids used to cry "Don't take my chips", I'd say "nothing's for nothing dear, if I have to do the work of opening the pack, I want commission. If you want to open it yourself and risk losing half to the floor, go for it".

asy :D

Asy,
   I've done the same thing ;D, except I call it a tax!

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

dancan

I'm not going to name any of the other ethnic and styles of music i have been listening to lately
(many trips to the library) but i think it helped keep my older daughter in the school's band (going to a music competion this weekend in sherbrooke quebec ) and not listen to as much
Quote from: Corley5 on May 14, 2006, 09:04:02 PM
  It ranks right up there with smoking as far as I'm concerned ;D  It grates on my nerves especailly when someone starts singing along with it   
kind of music .
Hey maybe the music thing is a bit of wisdom i'm passing to my kids . :o
Quote from: ellmoe on May 15, 2006, 05:06:46 PM

I've done the same thing ;D, except I call it a tax!

Mark
Chip tax ? Hey ellmo , you working for the government ? :D :D

wiam

Quote from a neighbor; "My dad got alot smarter between when I was 18 till I was 25"

Will

Sprucegum

About the music:

I like two kinds of music - country and western   ;)

FiremanEd

I think it was Edison who said

"When I was 17 I thought my father was the dumbest man in the world,,,, when I was 22 I couldn't believe how much my father had learned in 5 years."

Yes,, I had that thought when I was 17 too, and had similar realizations later in life.

Eddie
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

sawguy21

I have also loved that line from Edison. My favourite is from Will Rogers "I was too ignorant to know it couldn't be done so I went ahead and did it." I use it frequently ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

Don't spend more than half of what's in your pocket.

Nailhead

After I had worked for myself for a few years, come tax time I was complaining to a older friend(Vern) about how much I had to pay in taxes. He say's real slow"ain't never heard of anyone going broke paying taxes on profit " After that I just kept my mouth shut!
"The Constitution does not grant rights, it recognizes them."

dancan

Quote from: Jeff B on May 15, 2006, 11:49:31 AM
Some northern words of wisdom and instruction from the first winter day I worked in da woods from an old logger was to wear spenders and duct tape yer long johns to yer socks so as you dont get bunchy toe and knee creep. :)
Bunchy toe and knee creep  :D :D
My wife thinks i'm cracking up , i'm still laughing by myself because she just doesn't understand how annoying bunchy toe is and now i can fix it with duct tape (Red Green would be proud).
Thanks for sharing the wisdom .

isawlogs

Music ... gotta be rock  from the 70 and 80's

I could sit and listen to my grand father for hours , and then remember asking myself how it was that my father had been raised under the same roof as this wise man . Then I grew up              to be just like him .
Thanks dad .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!