iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Securing Peterson Mill

Started by Snag, May 14, 2006, 05:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snag

I am going to be sawing about an hour away on multiple days and it would be nice to leave the mill there some of the time.  My concern is securing it.  I have insurance, but still.....  I have a Peterson 8" WPF.  Any thoughts on securing it?  Thanks.

Captain

Get a trailer and roll the mill head in... :)

Seriously, I would consider bringing the mill head home in the back of the truck.

Captain

Husband

I have to agree with the Captain. They are portable enough for not only you to move but anyone esle as well!!!
It is nice having the insurance but it is the "inconvienence" that is a pain.  :'(

red

only way to secure it is to sleep next to it ......hope your a light sleeper
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

TN_man

We have left the tracks all set up and ready for the next day, but we always load the mill head up in the back of the truck and take it home with us.  It only takes a few minuites to load and unload.
Better safe then sorry. ;)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Part_Timer

Another vote for take it with ya.  I've left it if I'm in someones back yard but most of the time I'm along the road.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

woodbeard

I wouldn't even leave the tracks unattended with the price of scrap aluminum as high as it is.
How 'bout an electric fence charger?  :o

Snag

I hear what yer sayin'.  I guess I was envisioning removing 4 bolts in the tracks (1 on each track end at the splice) and threading a cable thru and then putting the cable thru the head.  One problem would be the cable.  I guess it wouldnt be too hard for someone to make short work of that security system.  Oh, well.  Thanks for the help guys...

jpgreen

How bout tieing up a mean old dog to it?...  ;D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Snag

We're short in the mean dog dept.  The labs would go home with them and the pug sounds more like a pig than a dog.   :D

iain

I dont think your insurance would understand you leaving it behind
plus unless you got loss of earnings in your insurance,
you out off the milling game till you got a new mill

iain

Snag

My insurance claims that they will cover it from offsite theft, but I dont want to test them on it.  :)

getoverit

I have considered leaving mine a couple of times, but came to my senses and took the head and rails with me instead.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Thank You Sponsors!