iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to sell dried lumber

Started by Rick Schmalzried, December 02, 2002, 08:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Schmalzried

I am trying to sell some Osage Orange Perry and I cut last spring.  I have advertised locally in the paper with no bites (except for someone wanting to sell me their hedgerow so I could cut it down  ::) ).  I checked out the timber buyers network, but didn't notice any places to post lumber.  (JeffB, tell me if I am wrong there...)

Does anyone have any good suggestions?

--Rick

PS, I will post a FS here for details on what I have.
_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

Tom

Rick,
It may be that Osage Orange has a market likt Red Cedar down here. Folks always want it and I cut a lot for others but when I cut it and dry it, it sits in the barn for a year or more.  When somebody does want it, they want it all.

In a situation like that I'll bet the best place to sell it stick by stick is Ebay.  You have to look for markets sometimes and that means joining wood-working clubs, visiting exotic wood retailers or, perhaps, becoming one yourself.

I have cedar in the barn that has been there for several years.  I don't push it because I'll want to build something with it one day when I retire again.  If I sell all I have then I may find myself with no wood and not able to run the sawmill.  That's why I'm hesitant to sell "all" of any of my stock.  They'll end up with it and I won't. :D

Most states have an agricultural paper with classifieds that are free or cheap.  They reach wood-workers sometimes.

Sometimes just talking about what you have in your barn will reach the right people.  I've struck up conversations at flea markets where my sawmill became a subject and someone standing near would ask questions about it and then if I sold wood and before long I was on the map. :P  I'ts slow, not very scientific but it works.  It's a good opportunity to "run your mouth. :D

Rick Schmalzried

Maybe I am being impatient.  About 2 hours after I posted my question, my wife called and told me that a lumber yard about 90 miles away and is very interested in the osage. 8)  She also got a call from someone wanting some cherry and walnut.   Too bad I don't have any of those to sell :D

Hey! I just thought, maybe if the lumber yard has a market I should call the lady back about her hedgerow! ;D ;D
--Rick
_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

Tom

There you go.......expanding already :D

Brian_Bailey

Tom -  I have the same trouble. I get the lumber sawn & dried, then don't want to sell it  :-/. Might have a project for it down the road :P. The wife comes out to the shop and remarks you had better start selling some of this lumber before you buy anymore logs. I answer, Yes dear  ::) didn't the washer just buzz?
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Tom

:DThat sounds like one of my conversations. :D

OneWithWood

Shsss, hold it down there boys :-X

My wife still thinks I am going to sell most of the lumber I will be milling to pay for all of these new toys ;D  Of course we all know that once I have amassed a bunch of kiln dried hardwoods I will need to further enhance my woodshop so I can add value to the lumber and sell at a higher price :D :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Brian_Bailey

I always tell my wife when she gets too inquisitive, that it takes money to make money ;D .  Then she goes and sez it, but you donT have any money, dear  :-* !
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Rick Schmalzried

It turns out that the guy only worked at a lumber yard.  However, I did sell about 10% of my pile.  I just need 9 other people like him... :D

However, it did help the wife see some cash coming in, even if it wasn't all that much. (Really she isn't that bad, it's just fun with the smileys)
_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

Bro. Noble

Rick,

Your wife should be happy if you sell it or keep it and make her beautiful stuff out of it. Why not post a picture of that jewlery box and CD case you made?

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

I know, Rick. I have a lot of fun treading the fine line too. My wife thinks its funny to a point.  "Don't pay any attention to him, He's as eccentric as Howard Hughs, she says? :D

Noble_Ma

It's good to see I'm not the only one that wants to hold onto the wood!  Right now, my excuse is, "we're going to build a barn next year!".  I'll need to come up with a new one once the barn is finished ;D  I have some quarter sawn white oak that I'll never part with.

Brian_Bailey

Noble_Ma -

Well ya cant have an empty barn can ya?  There's your excuse  :D

Noble_Ma

The barn will be filled with my woodwooking shop.  But then I'll have the excuse that I need to build an addition ;D

Thank You Sponsors!