iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a cabin in the mountains (Qweaver Memorium)

Started by Qweaver, May 13, 2006, 01:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I'm thinking of starting a thread on our cabin construction.  Where should I put it?

Here are the first pictures.

Cousin Rodney getting to grade

Forming it up.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Burlkraft

Qweaver,

I would probablly put the cabin where the footings are being formed up :D :D :D

It looks like a great spot, so keep the pics a comin' 8) 8) 8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

mometal77

What no building permits  :D... i work on lummi island at a quarry.. I drive past some cute places/cabins.  So is this a kit cabin you are building or are you going to be getting friends and family to peel the logs for you hehe.. 8)
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

KiwiCharlie

Hi Qweaver,
This will be a good thread - I will follow with interest.  Tell us some more on the style etc youre building.  And plenty of photos!  :D
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

UNCLEBUCK

Looks like a fun project Qweaver, will be fun reading and looking your nice pics  :)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

crtreedude

A bunch of smart alecs! Of course whadda expect from us?  ::)

I love cabins - I always wanted to be a hermit - unduly influence by "My Side of the Mountain" when a kid. I guess I have to do "My Side of the Jungle" now.  :D

I have access to some releos (thinnings) of teak that are undersized (not mine, someone who planted too close) and I can buy each for about 25 cents - I tend to use them for post.

So, I will be watching your thread really carefully!

Fred
So, how did I end up here anyway?

ellmoe

Fred,
  "My side of the Mountain" had the same effect on me! It's been so many years ago now (way too many years :D )when I saw it. I do think it had influence on my career path and my choice of dwelling places. I need to try to find that movie again, I can't remember why it had such an impact. Maybe it was the scenery like in "Jeremiah Johnson".I'm glad to hear that someone else was moved the same way.

Oh yeah...Good luck with the cabin! :)

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

crtreedude

I hear that Jeff was influenced by it too. Now, that would make an interesting thread - how many of us ended up where we are because of that book?  :)

Oh, the cabin will go well - Hector and crew will build it!

sawguy21

Great project and even better way of getting away from everyday stresses. I helped my dad build a 16x24 lakeside cabin while in my teens. We had fun putting it up and spent a lot of quality time there. No building permits, no insulation, no power, and his idea of running water was two kids with buckets.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Qweaver

Here are the plans.

I scaled the plans from this picture.  The bottom will be open on my cabin, with room to park cars, tractor or whatever.

Front View

Side View

This tank will supply flushing and washing water and drinking water will come from a small well that has great water but not much of it. This shed gets another extension on the left side and by the time I capture water from that side also, we should have plenty of water.  This shot shows the slope better.  The foundation is another 10' below where I am standing to take this shot.

These plans are in a constant state of change.
The concrete gets poured Wed. if the rain stays away.  Getting the concrete trucks to the site and back out is the problem.  I don't think my Kubota would pull an empty concrete back up the slope...and a wrecker big enough to pull them out would put a big hole in my budget. We need 3 rain free days in a row to make the road solid .

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

crtreedude

Holy cow! Here I thought we were talking a small little cabin - looks like a Lodge to me!

It looks very cool!

JimBuis

Qweaver,
Once you get the kinks worked out in your "cabin" construction project, please let me know.  I have a few acres in Illinois where I'd surely like you to build a "cabin" like that for me.  "Cabin"?  Yeah.....right! ;)  Let us know if your property taxes end up being calculated on a "cabin" basis!

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Qweaver

I should have added some dimensions.  The cabin is only 24'x32'.  That's only 768 sq ft.  The decks make it look big.  The decks are 6' on the back and sides and 8' on the front.
Here is a plan view w/o decks.  The interior dimensions are on another layer with a lot of other info that makes it confusing to look at, so I left them off...but you get the idea of how small it is.

Quinton

Dale Hatfield

We built 4 cabins here in the hot tub capital of Ohio, on contract.  Any way the ground was so steep  and the site so wooded.  That we couldn't get a  concrete truck to 3 of them. We  poured concrete into the bed of a Toyota truck and backed down  while 3 of us sat on the hood for weight  so we could steer then  shoveled it  down a   trough  then into the footings.   

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Qweaver

If you've been on the forum today, you'll notice that I've been here a lot.  That's because it's been storming and raining most of the day...but if you take a look at the picture of our motorhome shed a few posts back, you just may be able to make me out hunkered behind those stacks of firewood cooking ribs.  I've had a fire going all day and the corn and potatoes went in to the coals about 1/2 hour ago.  The beer is cold and friends will be showing up soon.  DanG the rain...Life is good!

Quinton

KiwiCharlie

That is a great looking cabin!  This will be a good thread.  Im looking forward to it.
You call 24x32' small?  Im looking at a 21x12' cabin!  :o  :)
Any progress this week Quinton?
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Qweaver

Finally the weather forecast looks like there may be concrete onsite tomorrow or Tue.  Today was beautiful with sun and some wind.  The road is already solid.  We have been cutting joints all day today and getting lumber restacked in the order that we are going to use it. 

I have a cut list with a drawing of each sill, post and girt but it is still mind bending to get the cuts properly oriented.  The only mistakes that I have made so far were on the waste side so that I only had to re-cut to make all well.  wooo!
Come on sunshine, just stay dry for four more days and then it can rain for a week and I won't care.

Here's a few pics.  I'm amazed at how straight the poplar has stayed.

beenthere

Looks great.

Uhh, you saw 'em and the lad in the green shirt hauls it away and brings another?  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

iain

Over here that size cabin would house a family of six,
it sure looks like a beut of a spot, you got any pic of the local?

iain

Qweaver

Hallelujah, finally a break in the rain and the concrete flowed today at 4:00PM.  The final troweling was done at nearly 10:00 pm.  Everything goes up from here.  The block gets laid tomorrow.

I am excited!
Quinton

red

looks good

nice when a project starts taking shape

can't wait to hear/see more

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Qweaver

Iain,  Here is a view looking east from the MH shed which is about the same height as the finished cabin.  You can just see my saw shed to the left side of the picture that sets just on this side of the West Fork River.  The small section of road that is visible on the right side of the picture is on the other side of the river and the hill behind the road just goes straight up for about 600'.  The slope down the hill on this side of the river is quite a bit steeper that the picture shows.  In winter the sun does not break over that hill until 10:00 AM where the cabin will set.  

My Father and Grandfather orginally bought 3 acres here and then several of our family got together to buy an additional 23 acres.  We now have five houses and a catering hall on the property and my cabin will make six houses.  My childhood home sits about 200' to the left and out of frame of this picture and down close to the river.

Quinton

Qweaver

Seven courses of block went up today and the rest will go up tomorrow.  Then filling the block with steel and concrete and I'll be ready to bolt the sills in place.

Quinton

thecfarm

Looks good,keep the pictures coming.Looks like a good spot for a home.Enjoy it every day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Coon

Nice work on the shack errrrrr cabin errrr house errrrr  mansion   :D :D

How big of a water tank is that?  Looks to be about 2000 gallons correct?  That should last the family about 3 weeks before fills... ;D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!