iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking out my backdoor

Started by crtreedude, May 13, 2006, 11:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

We live on the edge of the largest city in the Northern Zone of Costa Rica. It is about 40,000 people (just for a bit longer - about one month)

Anyway - behind us is a river and wild area. This morning we had a troup of white face monkeys come to visit. We have a banana tree behind the house - and they are getting ripe. I suspect we have competition.

I love seeing wildlife - especially wildlife that is not common.

What do you see out your back door?

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Tony

Man that sounds nice, all I've got is;

;D ducks
        ;D geese
        ;D deer (rare)
        ;D fish jumping

>:( >:( and last and least liked suburbia  complete with trespassers >:( >:(

Tony

TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

twoodward15

Hmmm, in suburban NJ I see a swing set, my shed, a strawberry patch and garden.  A bunch of squirrels and birds too.  Once in a while a rabbit comes around and last summer I had a ground hog (ground dog as my daughter says).  One year I saw a dead cat and a month ago 2 turkeys (saturday before easter) that were almost dinner. 
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Bro. Noble

Well,  this morning when I went out the backdoor,  I couldn't see a DanG thing for all the dark >:(

DanG stoopid cows anyway ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Minnesota_boy

I never see much out the back door, but I do see some rather mundane things out the front door.  The normal things like white tail deer, fox, timber wolves, a bald eagle, skunks, and sometimes a stray dog.  Nothing exciting like Crtreedude gets to see.  :)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

scsmith42

Well, this morning I saw a red fox chasing after one of my chickens.  Shortly after that I saw a red fox with a little red bead superimposed on him...  Poor guy, I think that he came down with lead poisoning...

Other than chickens, geese, ducks, dogs, cats, horses (draft, friesan, trakhaners, miniature, draft cross, and one really old one (Lester is 37 - poor guy doesn't have any teeth left and his back is swayed down about 12", but he still thinks he's 12)), mule's, guinea's, pea fowl, deer, squirrell's, raccoon's, possum's, coyote's, fox, wild turkey, hawk's and the occasional eagle, not much else other than lots of pine trees, pastures, and a pond in the makin!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Burlkraft

Right now I'm lookin' at the thermometer...it says 41* and I see rain and logs that aren't sawed and mud and grass that is so long I'm going to have to rake the DanG yard again >:( >:( >:(

I thought I just saw a white faced monkey in the woods, but it's my neighbor.....she must be drinkin' again :-\ :-\
Why not just 1 pain free day?

crtreedude

We are fixing to move to Monte Cristo - our second finca - there I might see a tapir or a jaguar. I have seen their foot prints before.

I have seen a 8 foot boa - and the path of one a LOT bigger - supposed to be a 6 - 6 meters that is.

Paschale

Quote from: Burlkraft on May 13, 2006, 03:08:41 PM
I thought I just saw a white faced monkey in the woods, but it's my neighbor.....she must be drinkin' again :-\ :-\

:D :D :D :D

Now, that there is funny.   ;D

Out my back door, since I live in the city, I don't see anything exotic.  Though occasionally, the neighborhood red tailed hawk will land in one of my pine trees in the back yard, which are some of the tallest trees around.  I've seen him a couple of times, which is pretty cool.  I wish he'd nest in there. 

Other than that, just the usual birds, squirrels, and chipmunks.  Occasionally at night I'll see a skunk (smell him first), and I've got some moles tunneling in the backyard too.   >:(  The neighbor has an ancient opossum that we see from time to time too.   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

gary

All I see out my backdoor is my neighbors house

crtreedude

Yep - we have birds out back - sometimes in the house like hummingbirds. I get buzzed by hummingbirds occassionally in my office. I can just imagine them thinking "No, that definitely doesn't look like a flower!" and zipping away.  ;)

Occassionally we have a Tucan, orapendula (gold tail, weird nest - very weird "song")

Burlkraft

Fred,

You gotta start takin' pictures of all this stuff...or I gotta' watch more animal planet to see what they all look like ;) ;)

Paul_H

View from our front window

This young Moose hung around our place for a few days in January 1998.I see tracks in the Winter but haven't seen on in our yard since.

View from our back porch from late June(Cherry season) to early November(Apples and more Apples) The sow and cubs are eating dried Cherries in the grass.
A couple of years ago in early November there were a couple cubs on our back porch sniffing for food and I put the run on them and was holding the Dog and had the door wide open.When the cubs went down the stairs,the sow came flying up them.(like in a dream)

I pulled the dog back and shouldered the door shut as she slammed into the door and was snarling and hissing at me through the small window in the door a couple inches from my face.By the time my son Tom got the gun,they had left,but the muddy footprints splattered on the door were plain to see along with the holes in the window screen.

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

twoodward15

was there a load in your pants???
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Paul_H

:D No,it all happened so fast that I didn't have time to feel much of anything.Later,when things settled down and I was laying in bed ready to go to sleep I started thinking about how close she was to getting in the house.
There would have been Me and Tom and our dog Hank in a small room with an angry Sow Bear.
She had shown aggression a few days before but I was reluctant to shoot her because the Cubs would bawl and they would have to be destroyed too.We went through that a couple of years before and it was a real hassle.
But we have small kids around again and they play outside so we won't tolerate any aggression from the Bears.

Tom

Isn't a lot of the aggression of the sow because of the cubs?

Paul_H

Most times it is Tom but it's not always obvious that there are cubs nearby.A few years ago a Bear came in the yard and got into it with our Dog and I went out with the gun.The Bear charged the dog and came toward me so I shot.She rolled over and dragged herself through the long grass and into the woods and then I heard the bawling.  :-\

I waited about 20 minutes and then went out with the dog and found the sow dead at the base of a Cedar tree and the cub was about 20 feet up in the branches looking down.She had treed the cub before coming in the yard but all I saw was an aggressive Bear.
When we walk outside in the Summer/Fall season we never know what will be out there around the corner but the older kids were taught to never run and to stand there ground if met by a Bear but give the Bear an escape route if possible.

The younger girls are 4 & 5 years old now and would naturally turn and run if they saw a Bear which could trigger an attack.Another Bear that can be unpredictable is a young 2 year old and they can push boundries a bit.

Since 2000,we've let the CO know of any Bear that has shown aggression and we try to do our part to avoid conflict by keeping garbage out of reach and to keep it clean under the fruit trees but once in awhile a problem Bear has to be trapped or destroyed.

The Sow and Cubs had broken my "no porch "rule and if I hadn't seen the cubs,I would have shot her. There was no garbage or food source on the porch.

crtreedude

Paul,

You can keep those bear! Not anything to mess with - a big moose could be a problem too.

Recently, the Minister of the Environment down here was patroling for poachers (what can I say - in Costa Rica - you aren't ever allowed to be too good to do the dirty work! - I approve) and ran into a Tapir - imagine a small elephant (700 lbs) with an attitude. Wounded him pretty good - they found him and he was okay - but I suspect he has some pretty serious stitches.

They say that the tapir is the most dangerous animal down here.

crtreedude

Their back! The monkeys are trying to steal my bananas! They are pretty upset with Amy right now. I told her to get the camera and forgot to tell her that it was on manual flash.

They are barking a lot right now - I guess having a light go off in their eyes at close range wasn't their idea of fun!

asy

Well, I live deep in suburbia, so, we have birds mostly, a whole murder of crows live in the neighbourhood, and they are HUGE.

They love digging in all the macadamia nuts on the ground under the maca tree, coz there are bugalugs there.

The people next door have a couple of tiny humans, they make a bawling noise sometimes too...  And as of yesterday, looks like they have a puppy. I don't think they'll have it for long, coz we are on a fairly main road, and they have no fences. But then never said they were smart...  :(

There's a snake out there somewhere too, I think... 

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

solodan

Lots of birds: stellar jays, robins, humming birds, woodpeckers, tanangers, raven, owls, hawks, eagle, heron, geese, turkey vultures, ect. ect.

Deer, fox, opposum, racoon, skunk, squirrels, ring tail cats, coyote, bear, bobcat, mountain lions.

But no more chickens ???

sawguy21

The crows really get around :o Were they introduced to Oz from Europe along with rabbits or are they native? I see them along with magpies, grouse, and the occasional deer or coyote. There is a large, open  undeveloped area between my yard and the highway.There have been reports of black bears with cubs nosing around some neighborhoods but we try to avoid them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Norm

Paul you're more understanding than me. My rule would be anywhere on the farm rule but I've got a backhoe. ;D

Crops are just coming up so the fields out back still look pretty barren, in a month they'll be a sea of green. Recent rains have come with some great views.

Paul_H

I'd like to enforce that rule here too Norm.

Last year a woman jogger was bitten by a sow just down the road from the high school and a 1/4 mile over from there an oldtimer named Gus had his legs chewed up.

Gus,a Swiss has lived here since 1953 and has farmed and logged and raised 4 kids in the valley before retiring.One night in the fall he could hear some ripping going on outside so he went out to check his Grape vines and as he came to the top of the stairs,a sow came up the stairs and dragged him by the leg.
Thankfully Rico his dog came barreling over him and sent the sow butt over tea kettle down the stairs and Gus was able to drag himself back into the house and call one of his sons in laws over to take him to the clinic.

I saw his leg a few days later and it was messy but he took it pretty well.Gus is over 80 and still spry, the Bear is buried in his back 40.

treecyclers

Here in north central AZ, I don't exactly get the critters that yooper folks get, but I do get a few.
Crows that could steal small children, the occasional red tailed hawk, and coyotes from time to time.
I was working out in the shop one evening, late, had the roll up door open, and in walked a coyote.
Silly boy! Don't you know that coming into my shop after hours will get you lead poisoning every time?
In all seriousness, my neighbor has a dog that I fear, and it's the ONLY dog that I have ever been truly afraid of, hence I carry my 45 at all times while working in the yard or shop, just in case he ever figures out how to get over the fence.
SD
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

crtreedude

I have yet to see an animal here that does well against a long fang - otherwise known as a machete. Imagine something 2 1/2 foot long and so sharp that it can easily cut through 3 inches of soft wood in a whack.

The animal rehabilitation center here got a mountain lion once much worse for wear who messed with a farm hand - it was a pair that attacked. One mountain lion was dead - the other took about 6 months to heal. And it has a serious fear of knives!

You can miss with a gun - but a machete? Swing that paw at me and you are losing it brother bear!

Bill

More DanG critters then when I go looking for 'em . . .

gary

This is my natural air conditioner . It is on the west side of the house and keeps it in shade most of the day.

Onthesauk

My first try at posting a picture.  This is taken off the porch on the back of the house looking across the valley.  It's hard to call this the back of the house except that the front door is on the other side of the house.  I have been taking out a few trees every winter to open up the view and finally this year took out the last clump of big leaf maple.  Really changed!

OK, appears this works.  Maybe I can get out and get some pictures of some of the saw and shake mills in our area now.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Burlkraft

WOW.......Nice backdoor view ;D ;D ;D

asy

WOWWEE!!!

THat's gotta come close to the BEST backyard view I've ever seen.

More photos please.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Mooseherder

My wife had a couple visitors today.
They decided to go and clean out the Fish Stock. :D

This was the second day they were here.

sprucebunny

Mooseherder...those sure look like seals from here  smiley_dunce 

Are they plentiful in Florida ???

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

SB
Quoteplentiful....
Seals or Otters?  Lookin like otter's to me.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

PineNut

Was unloading some equipment from a truck today when I heard something rattle the garage door. Looked over and saw a very young fawn that had been next to the garage door running (not too fast) across the yard. Probably was his mother I saw when I went to check the mail yesterday.

sprucebunny

Lookin like otter's to me.
-----------------------------------------------

I've only seen an otter once. It was sliding in snow. I expected thier legs to show more.

Are otters common in Florida ???

The Dumbbunny
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

crtreedude

We have tolomukos here - they look like a cross between an otter and a weasel - but bigger. I have seen them about 5 times if I recall.

This morning, Silky, the new Cocker Spaniel puppy did not want to go outside. Never did find out why - but I suspect it was a sizeable cat - perhaps an ocelot or bigger.

Mooseherder

sprucebunny
There are quite a few River Otters I guess. We usually get a couple visits per year that we know of. We live around alot of fresh water canals and also a protected wildlife area.
The rest of the time they could be here fishing while we are at work. digin1
They are fun to watch.

Mooseherder

Our Visitors were back today. ;)

tinkerin

These fellas showed up in my backyard last fall.  Thanksgiving week as a matter of fact.  They came to tease me days before the deer opener!
The 8 point stayed three days with his group of 11 does.  The 10 point (non-typical, as his rack was weirdly shaped) was only here a day, but the picture was taken within 10 feet of my house.

Both of these boys were seen again after deer season was over. :D

Ron Scott

Nice Pennsylvania bucks. Haven't seen many in PA that nice.
~Ron

Onthesauk

Pulled in the yard yesterday and had a doe with two fawns down on the meadow.  Probably in to eat fallen apples.  I stopped the truck and one of the fawns came bounding toward me, thought he was going to come right up to me.  Then they all ran past and up the hill.  I just happened to be between them and their escape route.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Thank You Sponsors!