iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Exotic Pests

Started by Corley5, December 01, 2002, 07:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

About 5 years ago the mile a minute vine became a problem here. It covers and smothers everything, I have an old Cletrack crawler (lawn art) that dissapeared under it. Weed be gone is doing an ok job if killing it (the weed, the crawler has been dead for years).
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Den Socling

Japanese Knotweed is a curse in PA. I travel the Susquehanna drainage system a lot and it is taking over everywhere. It's the first up in the spring and then it's the tallest. Then, to make sure it's neighbors are beat back, it leans over and spreads it's leaves to cut off the light to plants under it. I hate the stuff and carry a machete in my truck so that I can get out and wack the stuff when it blocks my view. I believe it was brought in by people who wanted something that looked like bamboo. Why can't people be content with indiginous plants and animals?

Noble_Ma

I've had problems with wild grape and bittersweet vines.  They're destroying the birch, ash, maple and oaks saplings in my lot.  Any cure other than just cutting them all out?  I have a well so I'm not keen on using poisons.

DanG

A couple of years ago, a guy over on the KountryLife forum gave a recipe for a homemade herbicide. It consisted of a pound of table salt, dissolved in a gallon of vinegar, spiked with a squirt of dish soap, to make it stick. He said it was really effective, and it seems harmless enough. I haven' t tried it, but I sure need to. I have a major infestation of Wisteria on what passes as  a woodlot on my place.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

swampwhiteoak

Well lets see, I remember almost enough chemistry from college to be dangerous.  Anyone know what happens when you combine salt and vinegar?  I don't, but I wonder...
NaCl + CH3COOH -> ??  Makes me wonder if some of the products could be HCl and NaOH.  I dunno though.  Maybe they don't react at all.

That reminded me of a story.  I went to visit a friend many years ago.  He had a party the night before and was cleaning his house.  He had the bright idea to combine bleach and ammonia for extra cleaning power.  I'm not sure if he was having leftover effects from the party or he was just this stupid.  I got him out of the house and we opened some windows so hopefully he didn't kill too many brain cells.

Back to the original side question, plant specific herbicide application, especially if done with injection or a cut stump type treatment shouldn't get anywhere near the groundwater.  You would have much worse potential problems from septic tanks, oil from machinery, ect.  

On the other hand, what I always tell people who don't want to use herbicides is to cut the vines in the spring when they are pushing sap.  They'll use up a lot of their nutrient reserves and will be less likely to resprout.  Grapevines don't particularily like the shade, so as long as you don't open up the canopy any time soon they should go away.

Noble_Ma

Funny you should mention injection.  I got rid of some sumac that way.  My parents had a field of it.  The more you pull it up the more it sprouts.  We found that out the hard way.  Anyway, I drilled a hole in the side of the tree and used a glue injector from the workshop.  I gave it a steady diet of round up.  It died and all the sprouts around it too.  I'll take grape vines any day compared to sumac. ;D

OneWithWood

Do you suppose that might work on aspen?  I intend to harvest as much of the big aspen as possible to use in my saw shed and I want to prevent all the sprouts that will come along.  I was thinking of using a mix of diesel and Acme weed and brush killer to spray on the freshly cut stumps.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

Hey! Regenerate that aspen! Thats how I make my living.
We cant get enough of it. It grows pretty fast and it has value. Why kill it unless you are clearing?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Noble_Ma

OneWithWood,

I'm not sure about that ???  I know the sumac sprouts off of the roots.  That's why they spread when you pull them up and break up the roots.  My dad found that out the hard way.  I spent a lot of my summers pulling the darn sprouts even after my dad planted the new grass.

Jeff,

What do you guys use the aspen wood for?  Is it similar to poplar?  I know they use a lot of poplar for molding and trim that's going to be painted instead of stained.

OneWithWood

Noble_Ma,
I believe the aspen sprouts from the roots also.  It is in the same family as poplar.

Jeff B,
I don't think anyone would pay enough to make it worth shipping my aspen up to you.  Best to let your neighbors grow the stuff, plus you got the climate and proper soil.  I am erradicating it because I want to regenerate oaks, maples and cherries.  I know I won't be around to harvest them but somebody will. :)  
When I get closer to harvesting the aspen I will start a thread on it.  I could use some pointers on the best way to mill it as a straight aspen is a rarity in my woods.

Hey!  Talk about appropriate timing - this is my 101st post and it is fitting that it is in part a reply to Jeff B ;D
I wonder if my tree will come in as an aspen ;D ;D :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Corley5

It sounds like we got the short end of the stick as far as exotics >:( :( :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Bro. Noble

I know better than to enter a conversation on erotic pests just before santy time.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

Exotic, Noble............ e-x-o-t-i-c, ........exotic.....

Sheesh.........  No wonder you stay in so much trouble. :D

Jeff

Noble you gotta get some in door plummin. Yer freezing yer brain going out to the two holer at night.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

For an informative site on Exotic Invasions see the Michigan Invasive Plant Council website at www.msue.msu.edu/mipc
~Ron

Bro. Noble

It's not my brain that I worry about freezing cause I don't use it near as much anyway.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!