iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homebuilt sawmill

Started by ajccmc, May 11, 2006, 11:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajccmc

Hi all,

Attached are a couple of pics from my sawmill project. A buddy of mine had a bunch of oak, walnut, etc trees pushed down, me I'm working towards building a timberframe home...you get the idea!

I have guards in the works and then will start the frame which will be made out of 3-1/2 drill pipe with 1-1/2 x 2 tubing cross braces.  Any suggestions, comments, warnings, etc you may have are welcomed!

ajccmc

Tom

wecome to the forum, ajccmc.

Looks like your bandmill is well on the way.  You seem to have photo posting down patt too.

This will be a hot thread for awhile as the homebuilt fellows find it.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.
Looks like a great project there.
(hope to hear about the '57 (? or '55) Chev in the background sometime too  :) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Ain't a '55.  Could be '56, but I'm leaning toward '57.

Welcome to the Forum, ajccmc!  Looks like you're well on the way to having your own sawmill! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

getoverit

my guess is a '56.... it doesnt have the hood rockets that a 57 has.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

RichlandSawyer

Welcome ajccmc.

Nice looking mill, i really like the way you did the axle. I might not be seeing right but it seems like you have the motor on backwards. Looks like you are pushing the blade through the wood instead of pulling it. And thats a Dang nice looking car you got there.

Again welcome aboard and keep the pictures coming
RichlandSawyer
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

jpgreen

-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

lmbeachy

hotfoot

Shawn

I'm too young to know what it is, but it sure looks like a nice mill. keep the pictures coming and welcome aboard!
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

jpgreen

You're really making us feel old Shawn..  ::) ....;D

Shawn

Sorry jp, I'll go stand in the corner now, sir.
HEHE, just kidding...you guys are awesome. I'll be
Bringing up some young buck in a few years. We all have our place.
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

highpockets

First, welcome to the forum.   There is nothing like building ones own mill.   No matter how much planning you do, there will be things that you will wish you had done different.  Not to worry, it is part of a first mill. Just keep plugging and you'll learn a lot and come out with a good saw. 

One note if I might.  I spent 42 years in the oil industry and am familiar with drill pipe. I have a few sticks of 2 7/8, 3 1/2 and some 5" here now.  It'll all bow.  If you have to use it, I'd strongly recommend using it as a bottom runner and using some sort of square tubing above it in a truss type configuration. 

A lot has to do with what all you plan on putting on the mill as for clamps, loader, turner, etc.  I noticed that you have a what appears to be a piece of 2" x 4" tubing on the bottom of the sawhead. I did the same thing not realizing that this can create a larger space between the bunks and the loader.  Sometimes when I have a log coming off the loader, it will drop down into the excess space and not roll onto the bunks.  My log turner also hangs on the sawhead if I do not drop it to it's lowest level. 

Be sure that I am not trying to be critical, I am impressed to see a guy who has the guts and the ability to reason things out and put it to the test.  You just keep knocking and one day you'll saw logs. We are here and want to assist you.  Good luck.

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

EZ

Welcome to the forum, aj.
Your mill is looking good. I agree with highpockets about the pipe.
One thing I can say is if I would ever build another mill frame it would be built like a truss, inverted of coarse when it was done.
EZ

toxedo_2000

Quote from: Shawn on May 13, 2006, 12:02:37 AM
I'm too young to know what it is, but it sure looks like a nice mill. keep the pictures coming and welcome aboard!

When I was younger, they call it "a car". ;)

The mill is really funny. I like your amazing ingenuity, ajccmc. Keep us informed of your progress.
Toxedo
Toxedo
Why walk when you can fly

ex-racer

QuoteOne thing I can say is if I would ever build another mill frame it would be built like a truss, inverted of coarse when it was done.
EZ

Right, EZ. The truss construction is very strong for it's weight. That's the way I built the track for my circle-mill.

In this photo the 40 ft. track is "folded" for transport.

D._Frederick

Highpockets,

" My log turner also hangs on the sawhead if I do not drop it to it's lowest level". 

Please show or tell more about your log turner and how you use it.

Trent

Reminds me of mine, is that 4 x 4 tubing? I like the temp spares, at 60 PSI there hard as rocks. 
Can't fish, can't hunt, don't care about sports. Love to build, machine, fabricate.      Trent Williams

highpockets

There is a picture of the log turner and log clamp in my galley.  The turner is on the left and the clamp is next to it on the right.   The turner uses a motor to rotate the chain and a cylinder to lift it.  The clamp is two motors, one for raising the clamp and the other to move the whole clamp into the log.  I can send you a larger photo via pm if you'd like.

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

ajccmc

Hi all again,

Thanks for the many responses. Yes thats a '56 ... I'll post a better picture next week as I'm out of town this week. It was my father-n-laws and I have basicly completely rebuilt it now.

This forum has been a huge help in making it as far as I have on my mill, I thanks to everyone that posted info, questions and answers.

When I was loading the drill pipe on the trailer I noticed the flex and figured I'd need to do something..either mutliple levelers or create some sort of truss arrangement.

I think I have the motor on correct so that's pulling the blade through the log, but I'll double check. My log loader will be my 42hp tractor and front end loader.  Maybe not the best but the price is right:)

The blades I have are bi-metal and more teeth/inch than I think most mills use...but I think I'll be cutting oak that's a bit drier , so I was thinking a more teeth at a bit less speed might be a good thing. Thoughts?

Another little project I have in the works is putting a rotary mud drilling system together driven off either the tractor or my case trencher hydraulics. The road to where I plan to build is steep with tight turns and the well drillers can't make it in....now you know.... I have lost all my marbles!

ajccmc

Mooseherder

Make em guess where the fill em up location is fer the gas tank on the 56.  :D

dad2nine

Onthesauk

Is that the one where the taillight folded down?  Or twisted?  Never owned one but have some vague memory of something like that.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

jpgreen

The fill is behind the lic plate on the rear?

Mooseherder

yep, it is behind the driver's side tail light.  You turn a latch above the light and it opens up to reveal the filler cap.

lmbeachy

Under the license plate holder in the center of the car in back.
hotfoot

Thank You Sponsors!