iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bio-diesel Race Boat

Started by Ianab, May 11, 2006, 01:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

I've been watching this on the news and know a lot of people here are interested in the whole bio-diesel and alternative fuel thing.

Plus it's one COOL boat.  8)

http://www.earthrace.net/view.asp

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

dundee

Hi Ian, This beast dropped in Napier last weekend, spent $5.00 to go aboard, sat in the drivers seat, yup it is one mean looking craft

Best
Richard

KiwiCharlie

It is one very cool looking boat!  Hit something the other day while motoring which did some damage I think.  It was on the news again last night - thought Brash was going in the drink trying to get on board!
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Burlkraft

I was looking at thier website and it's lookin' like they are going to be in Chicago 8) 8) 8) 8)

If it is, I'm going to make the trip to see that :) :) :)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Fla._Deadheader

The comments on expensive, time consuming and so forth, on the forum, I just do not understand. Have any of you doubter actaully perused your areas, looking for used cooking oil ??  Most places PAY to have it hauled away. Ihad a good deal locked up, in Florida, 1½ miles from my house. Did all the contact s, and figured a total cost of $1.00 per gallon. It just AIN'T that big of a deal.  ::) ::)

I figured collecting oil when on a trip to town, stopping on the way back for the oil. Figured 10 gallons of Methanol, and doesn't take a lot of Lye. Doing the conversion at night, when most of us are not making money, anyway ???  Figured on distilling the methanol for re-use. Only have to make 20 gallon batches ?????????
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Yeah, yeah, its a cool looking boat, but I didn't see no place to fish from. ::) ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

dundee

Your right DanG---that was my first thought too as I went aboard,

Tom

I just couldn't believe that someone would spend that much money on a boat that wouldn't catch fish.  So, I surfed a little and found out that the designers are Yachtsmen with blinders and there realy is no place to fish.

"Earthrace Wavepiercer Trimaran"

http://www.cld.co.nz/earthrace.htm

Y'all look at this link.  They have a really cool animation of wave piercing on it.

I did find it interesting that this boat is not designed to go over seas, nor submerge like a submarine, but is to go through the seas while staying on an even keel.  At an estimated capability of 40 knots, that would make me want to be inside anyway.

I know that  is a new design, a trimaran, and capable of 2500 mile stretches between fuelings, but that technology has been in the works for a long time.   

My ship, the USS Eaton DD-510,  was a Fletcher class destroyer launched in September of 1942. 

She went "through" the waves too.  She could carry a compliment of 329 men, was rated at 35.5 knots (we would top her out at 42+), developed 60,000 hp, had a place to fish when the "old-man" slowed down, and a door where you could get fresh air when you needed some respite.

Haze Gray and Under Way  ;D

Burlkraft

Now Tom...That's a fishin' boat 8) 8) 8) 8)

Bill

Really cool boat -

I guess you've also heard that Audi won "going away" at Sebring with a 12 cyl TDI ( diesel ) engine. They played with the field stopping for fuel at random intervals so the competition wouldn't learn their true performance.

8)

KiwiCharlie

Tom,
Through the waves, or under them?!  Thats dang near a submarine!
I guess our guy figured that going 40 knots through the waves, a good fishing spot was a bit redundant!   ;)
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Tom

Stuff like this makes me wish I were at sea again.  :)

Burlkraft

Well Tom,

You're pretty DanG close to the sea....I know Sprucebunny has a welder... :D :D :D

Tom

I don't know if my heart could stand the excitement any more.  That New Zealand Earthrace wave piercer is a raving heart attack.  I don't know how they keep the pontoons hooked to it.  Man! I'd sure like to be on there for a little while.   I'd like to see a picture of her screaming across smooth seas too. Daybreak on the ocean is usually like an asphalt parking lot.  Anything but wide open and your wasting time.  :D

Burlkraft

Your missing the best part Tom......Bio-Diesel....Aahhhhh I love the smell of french fries in the morning :D :D :D :D

Tom

You're right, Burlcraft.  I don't ever remember standing on the fan-tail of the Tin Can on an early morning power run and say " Ah-h-h-h-h-h, the smell of Bunker C on a pristine day".  :D :D

Skytramp

Well this soydiesel has sure ruined my retirement plans, our good ole government is going to actuly start paying farmers to raise produce again, just when I had it all figured out.
     I was going to start out kind of small and just not raise 20 acres of soybeans, and gradully work my way up to not raising 50 to a hundred acres of soybeans.
     actully some guy,( I think ST Louis MO ) some twenty years ago put a 350 cummins engine on a dyno and ran it the equivilent of 500,000 miles with less emissions and less maintainence than diesel oil, and no one was interested enough to do much more than print the results,  said it wasn't cost effecient.  At least the farmers raising the products, didn't have a religion that wanted to kill us, and I have yet heard of a bean farmer flying an airplane into a building even by accident, much less on purpose.
     I ain't the sharpest thorne on the bush, but seems to me that if they would take a small percentage of the money that we have spent blowing up things, and paying people not to work and the expense of getting the oil from over there to over here and then refining it, some one could surely find a cost effecient way to get that little drop of oil out of the little bean
SkyTramp;
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

dancan

our city has 2 ferries (by no means a race boat) that run on biodiesel in the summer but not in the winter because it gells up .

Burlkraft

There are new emission standards coming out for diesels in the next few years. Catalic converters are starting to show up and by 2015 the want the emissions coming out to be cleaner than the air they are sucking in. The bio-diesel push is going to do nothing but grow quickly.

There are a few places that I have been where if you were pushing fuel through your old 871 Detroit with twin turbos the emissions would still be cleaner than the air being sucked in........ :o :o >:( >:(

Thank You Sponsors!