iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

shelter project

Started by KGNC, May 10, 2006, 10:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KGNC

Hello Timberframers.
I have a little project that I am working on. There is no way that I would want to compare it to the timber frame projects that I see being built here, but I know you guys could advise me a bit.
I am getting ready to build a picnic shelter by our pond. It will be 16'x20'
I will be building a PT floor and will use 6x6 white pine posts and 4x6 swp for roof trusses.
I was just going to use lag bolts to tie it all together. Lag bolts okay for this sort of project? Is there a better choice?
I see a lot of discussion on a number of different fastners and the like.
Also I saw a similar project where they have used tongue and groove 2x6's for roof decking. Looked nice from below and should  prevent racking of the trusses. Any thoughts on this?

Jim_Rogers

If you're in a high wind area, there could be some up lift to your frame.
You'll need to investigate this and make sure your frame is properly secured to your foundation.
And that the roof is secure to the posts.
Lags could work if properly sized.
You may need through bolts with nuts and washers, depending on the wind load.
If you're doing this with a building permit then maybe you should discuss this with your inspector.
If you're doing this without a building permit go out and find one similar to yours and see what they did or did not do.....
Good luck with your project.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

Jim (and Don or anyone)

When discussing the use of 'through bolts', is there any application of split ring connectors anymore?  Seems like holding two pieces of wood together so they wont slide past each other (built-up beams, built-up posts, trusses, frames, etc.) could benefit from the split ring connectors we used to use a lot in the late 50's and early 60's. However, I don't hear much discussion of them.  Are they obsolete, or a missed opportunity?  ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thurlow

I built this about 3 years ago; not a traditonal timber frame, although I definitely used some timbers.  The  frame members are half-lapped and held together with 3/4 inch bolts.  Deck and walk-way are  pressure treated southern yellow pine or whatever they're selling these days.  Size is 24 x 32.

Walk-way on each side........150 ft total

While I was at it, went ahead and put in a rest-room.  Everything but a tub/shower.  It's on the far side of the pavilion and about 100 ft up a path thru the woods.

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

KGNC

Jim:

Thanks for the response, Through bolts would proably be a better choice.
While the area is mostly sheltered we do get some wind. The ground that I am covering is sloping. My plan was to plant some PT 6x6's. I would build the floor on this, deck style. Except I was going to attach my rough sawn colums for the roof right on top of the PT posts. I will need to find a method of attaching the 6x6 colums end to end (PT to EWP). My current thought is to use steel angles. Any thoughts on this as well.

KGNC

Thurlow, that looks great.
Thats a lot bigger project than I had in mine. I did build a 60' walkway last year. It was just a few feet above some wetlands. I will try to post a picture.

beenthere

I poked around the net a bit and found the split ring connectors that I was asking about. For a bolted joint, they look like they would make a world of difference in the integrity of that joint.

TECO split ring connectors pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Split ring connectors are still being used, when needed.....
As far as I know...

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!