iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hemlock

Started by Duncan, May 09, 2006, 09:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan

Does anyone experience chest congestion or other health issues while cutting hemlock?
Kelly

woodmills1

don't know if our eastern version is the same animal but no problems here with me cutting it so far.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

thecfarm

I'm on the other side of the US,but I've never had any problems with it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ironwood

As I recall there is some health issue related to it. I sided my house with it, so breathed some dust doing that. I believe people are just a little more sensitized/ reactionary to the dust. I don't believe it to be like walnut were it does some lung damage, or toxic like some. Just nuicence dust with elevated reactivity. I THINK!!

reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Sawyerfortyish

I cut loads of hemlock and have no problems. I love the smell of fresh cut hemlock. I also have asthma and have no effects. I have a blower that takes away most of the sawdust from the blade. I don't know what your setup is if you are inside with no blower it might be differant.

mike_van

The Eastern Hemlock hasn't bothered me -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

KnotBB

I knew a guy who had a violent skin reaction to western Hemlock.  The particular case was from handling green veneer in a plywood plant.  Nasty looking hands.

steve
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

MotorSeven

Have'nt cut any Hamlock, but we had a bunch of cypress trees down after Wilma. Before the county cut them up and hauled them off i managed to grab 8-10 cants for carving. I didn't have any problem bucking them, but every time i start carving(chainsaw & rotary tool) i start sneezing and weezing. Some of this stuff we should really be wearing respirators when cutting. Definatly learned my lesson as the effects lasted for a couple of days. What bothers me more is the huge waste of Cypress that was "mulched" after these storms..... :(

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

tomboysawyer

Quote from: Duncan on May 09, 2006, 09:45:07 AM
Does anyone experience chest congestion or other health issues while cutting hemlock?

I'm alergic to hemlock. Especially when limbing or pruning, so I never tried milling it. My throat closes and I can't breathe. Its pretty scary. I have no hemlock in my current woodlot which seems to amaze some people. But it was a big relief to me.

Duncan

Thanks for the information,

I don't seem to have any issues with any species other than hemlock, but it is good to review the information for all of the other species.

Cheers,
Kelly
Kelly

dancan

A friend of mine breaks out in a severe rash when he handles white birch .
The only wood that i have found that makes me sneeze repetidly and makes my eyes water is sawdust from mdf (you know from that mdf tree  :D :D)

thurlow

Not sure what kind of mill he had, but I understand that a fellow named Socrates had a severe reaction to hemlock  :D :D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Trax

Quote from: thurlow on May 24, 2006, 08:46:05 PM
Not sure what kind of mill he had, but I understand that a fellow named Socrates had a severe reaction to hemlock  :D :D

Thats a whole different animal

Poison Hemlock

Thank You Sponsors!