iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Current Forum Poll

Started by Corley5, November 30, 2002, 09:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I haven't voted on the current poll yet as I fit into more than one category and you can only choose one.  I'm a landowner, logger, and a circular mill owner.  It'd be nice to be able to choose more than one.  Anybody else have the same problem?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ADfields

Yup I just went with the one that I do most nowdays.
Andy

Paul_H

My java script or something on my computer is haywire,so when I vote,a blank screen pops up,and I have no idea what it says.I just found out a couple of days ago that my vote isn't showing.

I fit under a couple different of categories,but I chose logger because thats primarily what I do.
I need to get the computer fixed
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

Yup thats a toughy. We considered allowing a write in this time but decided its just to dangerous. Not because of any of our members or guests but from "other" elements. I wanted to include candlestick maker and animal balloon manipulist but Ron said NO ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

I got flak on the first poll from guys who said they fit into more than one category.  So, this time I said which one best describes you.  

Most of us fit into more than one slot.  Sometimes we log, sometimes we saw, sometimes we manage forests.  But, how do you view yourself?

I could have come up with multiple slots.  But, then there would have been about 15 different combintions.

Our first poll had 67 votes.  So far, we have 82 votes on this one.  Landowners were 25% of the first poll and are now around 30%.  Forest industry was about 60% of the first poll and are now down to 50%.  

I sure hope that means we are reaching more landowners.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Corley5

I guess I'll go with the landowner choice.  It's the only one I'm full time at.  That's what the tax people tell me anyway.

Jeff

NO NO NO!!!!! Corley don't desert Ron and I!!! CIRCLE SAW CIRCLE SAW!!! :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ADfields

The wife and I have a lot of land but we dont farm trees ther we farm cabins and dueplexes. :D   Well we do cut the trees down and saw them up ??? but then we plant stickframes. ;D
Andy

Tom

Harvesting your own trees makes you a tree farmer de facto.

I'll bet that you might qualify for a Stewardship Program that would allow you to get Gov. grants, assuming you would want such a thing.  The Stewardship program is supposed to provide you with aid, both financial and educational, in perpetuating forests, recreation and wildlife. That includes cabins, trails, hunting, fishing, bird watching or your own private refuge   Recreation in this program doesn't mean that it has to be public..

The only problem I have with these programs is that the Government employees who provide the help tend to lose the spirit of the program and think that it is their land and you are their caretaker.  :-/

http://www.fs.fed.us/spf/coop/fsp.htm

Ron Wenrich

I was at a forestry meeting a few weeks ago, and the State Forester said that they have increased the amount of govt. money available.  They will have $1 million for the state of Pennsylvania next year.

The problem is that we have 14 million acres of private woodland.  It just ain't enough to make much difference.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ADfields

Thanks tom! :)   I will look into that.   Our land is skatered all over in 3 to 8 acre chunks so I wonder how that would work.   We do have about 40 acres all togather and all very wooded, the tax go's up for every bit we cleer off so when we cleer we bild somthing there for income.   I have a frend that has a 290 acre place he is gona put in hay over the next couple of years so I get all the logs I want from that till he drags it down and burns it so I'm not needing my trees for a bit.
Andy

OneWithWood

Tom,
I marked landowner because that is what I have been the longest.  I did not see Tree Farmer listed. I have been one for as long as I have been a landowner.  The other category I did not see but for which I qualify is 'wannabe bandmill operator' - I own the mill but I have not operated it long enough to call myself an operator :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom

:D If you have bought your own mill and have turned it on once then you are way ahead of the millions of people that wish they had one.  I'd say "wannabe" is relative.  You are a member of a select few. :D

I guess it's difficult to list everything some of us are envolved in. I have trouble identifying myself on the poll also. Maybe if it were a narrower subject like Sawmill and ask, circle, band, swing, chainsaw, handsaw. Even then some guys have one of each.

I'm glad I'm not in Ron's position and have to make the decisions he does when creating the poll.  Polls are difficult if you want to be fair.  I remember how mad I used to get when I wanted to answer a poll on MediaOne's home page.  They would be worded something like this.  

"The xx amendment to increase taxes is on the ballot today.  Would you a) vote for it to build the new welfare building b)vote against it and condemn the children to certain death c) Don't care if the children live or not."

Now, how in good faith can a person answer a question like that? :D

Ron does a good job, DonT you think?

I'm a landowner too, and a tree farmer, and a bunch of other stuff but I just have to flip a coin sometimes to answer a poll  :D

It's all just for fun anyway.

OneWithWood

8) :D ...and we be havin' fun 8) 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Corley5

Always a good time 8) 8) 8) 8)  Sorry I desserted this time Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!