iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what is it and whats it used for?Solved Cork oak

Started by Gordon, November 30, 2002, 08:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gordon

Nope but good try Jeff

I've got a couple of other pic's that I'll post tomorrow if needed. Hints as well.

Gordon

Bro. Noble

milking and logging and sawing and milking

CHARLIE

Oak bark......I have no idea what it's used for but I'll guess. It's processed into uniform sizes and used for shingles and siding where the barkside is up.   ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Gordon

Man u all are impressive. On the right track with oak. Here is a pic of the tree after harvest.

Gordon

Jeff

Gordon

Now Jeff is in the ballpark. :D ;D

Here is the final picture of it cut out and bundled into sort of a plank form. It amazes me (it doesn't take much) that this tree lives after the first harvest.

Charlie has sent me some of this bark before. ;)
Thanks again Charlie

Gordon

Jeff

Ballpark?  Jeez... How close do I gotta be?

Quercus suber family: Fagaceae
The bark of the cork oak is used for corking hundreds of thousands of bottles of local wine, as well as for other more mundane uses of cork.
This bark is rugged and thick and spongy, pale gray or brown, and deeply fissured. This cork-bark gives the tree a remarkable protection against forest fires!
The bark is stripped off every 8-12 years, leaving the reddish-colored trunk exposed. The acorns of the cork oak are almost an inch long, much bigger than other regional oak trees.

Bro. Noble

Gordon,

I think you should require that Jeff be much more specific before declaring him the winner.  I think he is just making a stab in the dark.

By the way,  how is the 'no more nicotine' going?  Both for you and at work?

Noble

CHARLIE

Well, I think Jeff nailed it. That is an amazing picture of the Cork Oak after the debarking. That would kill most trees. It's a wonder the Cork Oak can survive such a stripping. Velly entellesting. :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bro. Noble

Is that where all cork comes from or are there other species that provide cork?  I always assumed that cork trees were a species of their own.  Where do they grow?

Noble

Jeff

Quercus suber
family: Fagaceae
Cork Oak

Originates from the Mediterranean region and is grown commercially for the thick cork bark which is harvested mainly for producing corks for wine bottles. Portugal is the world's major producer of  cork products.

Cork Oaks are indigenous to the Mediterranean region where they occur in open woodlands on hills and lower slopes. They form a thick cork  bark which is harvested mainly for the manufacture of wine bottle corks although the cork also makes a good heat and electrical insulator so is used for gaskets in engines and for insulative materials used in home interiors. By cutting off only the outer, dead corky bark, the tree is able to regenerate new cork tissue from the underlying live bark. In this way it is possible to cut off cork from a tree about every 10 years and the tree itself is able to live for about 150 years.

Cork Oaks are grown mainly in Portugal where there are over 60 square kilometers of cork orchards. Not surprisingly, cork products are Portugal's main export. Spain also grows cork commercially but to a much lesser extent than Portugal.  There have been attempts to grow Cork Oaks commercially in other parts of the world but these other countries have not been able to compete with Portugal in terms of skillfulness and cheapness of labour. Cheap plastic stoppers for wine bottles are to some extent a threat to the cork industry but for the better wines, cork stoppers are still preferred.

References
Sauer, J.D. 1993. Historical geography of crop plants - a select roster. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida.

Bro. Noble

Jeff,

I feel like a comprhensive report on cork should have included 'fishing bobbers'.  Since this is a holiday weekend,  maybe Gordon should be generous with you.

Noble

Jeff

Tom

Ha!  After all that we'll probably find that it's Chinchona bark destined for a quinine factory. :P :-/

Gordon

It's cork oak. Jeff had a better paper on it than I did.

As far as the smoking goes, I'm doing fine still smoke free. I chew a pack of Wrigley's polar ice about every three days and best of all it's sugar free. 8)

It's still hard at times, but ya just deal with the moment and your fine.

Now at work it's a little different of a story. Alot more tension, more fights aot more capstun is being used, but it could be worse I guess. What used to go for 83cents is now going for 30bucks from what I've been told.  

Gordon

Texas Ranger

Jeff, the willow and black powder is MY copywrited answer to any question about a tree.  You know, enough black powder to blow his nose....................
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Sorry Don. :'(  

I guess the only head that didn't go over was that one that dances around with a yellow rose between hia teeth.  ;)

Jeff

Paul_H

QuoteNow at work it's a little different of a story. Alot more tension, more fights aot more capstun is being used, but it could be worse I guess. What used to go for 83cents is now going for 30bucks from what I've been told.  

Gordon
I'll bet it's even worse inside! :P
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Gordon

Run forest run. 8) 8) 8)

Things actually have gotten worse since the start of the ban at the beginning of Nov.. They all had stashes of tobacco and now they are running out so now it's all like gold. Crazy.

In a couple of months things should be back to normal. Well as normal as they can be anyway.

Gordon

Paul_H

A quote from one of my favourite movies 8)

How is your new baby doing? Mary just turned 5 months on the 25th,and other than a bout of flu,she's been doing great.

She has near got me wrapped around her little finger ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Texas Ranger

What has this board come to?  Plumb discustin, a nekkid oak tree. ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

Don P

My folks just returned from Portugal and had some pics of the cork oaks there. They were quite widely spaced and the land is open grassed livestock pasture. Each tree carries a metal dogtag and they are on a type of allotment system sort of like tobacco. They said tile and cork seemed to be the big products and brought us back one of those blue and white portuguese tiles embeded in a cork hot pad.

L. Wakefield

So of course I gotta ask- if I see it and it's useful I want to grow it- how far north will they grow?  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Thank You Sponsors!