iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lebanon Cedar

Started by getoverit, May 08, 2006, 12:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

does any of you know if Lebanese cedar (Cedrus libani) will grow in Florida or if there is any actually growing here in the states?

This question goes back to a biblical question I have, and if possible I would love to grow one. I'm not sure how one could import a live tree from Lebanon, but I would still like to have the tree (or a couple of them for that matter)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

getoverit

I did some research on google about it, and found that it likes elevations from 1000 to 2000 ft, low humidity and low soil moisture. Unlike where Tom lives, this property is on a sand hill and is almost too dry. We have cedar trees on the property and I was hoping that I could get one of these to grow here, but from what I am readingit looks like I dont heva the elevation needed :(

There is quite a bot of history to this wood though and I would love to have some.

jph

They grow well here in the south east corner of the UK, mainly as specimen trees in large gardens. They grow fast and very large ,and provide great timber for cabinet making.  The last wind blown  one I had to mill was over 6ft dbh and we only counted 150 rings.  We are only a few feet above sea level but I would think they prefer low humidity and dislike water logged ground.

jph

getoverit

I need to start proof reading my posts. I have a black keyboard and th white letters are hard enough to see, but I have used it so much that the letters are now mostly worn off of it.

From what I read on this tree, it requires low humidity and low soil moisture, and also they mentioned elevation of 1000 to 2000 ft.  If the elevation isnt really an issue, and I can push the envelope on the humidity, it looks like one just might grow here.

I'll try to find one locally and see where it leads me. I see seeds for sale on ebay, but I havent had a lot of luck with growing trees from seeds.

Frank_Pender

I have two in my log yard that are 14' and 16' and both at 20" on small ends.  I just do not know what dimensions to saw them an for what purpose.
Frank Pender

getoverit

Frank,

I would love to have a small piece of this wood when you get around to milling it. 

I dont have a clue as to how it should be milled or what good it would be, but from reading history about the tree I assume it is very strong and very pretty wood. I also think that it is very weather resistant.

Phorester

"We have cedar trees on the property...,"

I expect these are Juniperous, not Cedrus.   But I'd not be afraid to try a few Lebenon on your property and see what they do.  I feel that any tree will grow anywhere in the world....., for a little while.  Climate will eventually catch up to trees that are way off site, but they can grow for many years before they succumb to being off site.

Stephen_Wiley

They are grown locally in nurseries here and are available for planting. They are numerous in landscapes throughout the northwest.

Certainly would not be afraid to try one in your territory, just make certain to water efficently for establishment.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Frank_Pender

I have two 20 inchers by 14' in my log yard and do not know what dimensions to make from the logs, or for what purpose to use the lumber. ???
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!