iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Measuring DBH

Started by Gilman, May 07, 2006, 01:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

When measuring a standing tree, is the DBH calculator have a figure for bark already worked in?  I'm measuring Circumference and then calculating diameter.  Do I need to subtract for bark?  Is there a rule of thumb for subtracting for bark?

Thanks in advance,

Gilman
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

wmrussel

DBH is always outside bark diameter.  Volume tables account for this fact in their calculations. 

I would imagine that there are certain instances where diameter inside bark (dib) at DBH may be needed.  In that case, it (dib) should be specifically requested.

Hope this is the info you needed!

Pete
My name is William, but people call me Pete.  Long story......

Frank_Pender

DDavid, inside the first page of the Scribners scale boo you will find a table to determine the volume in a 40' log, I believe. :-\ :P
Frank Pender

Ron Scott

What are you using to measure the  circumference with? Use of a tree diameter tape will give you the tree's direct diameter measurement outside bark (dob).
~Ron

Ron Wenrich

Volume tables are developed using what is called a Form Class.  This is the ratio of diameter outside bark at DBH and the diameter inside bark at 17', which is the end of the first 16' log. 

Two factors are measured.  One is the bark thickness, the other is taper.  Taper after the first log is dependent on tree diameter and the location of the log.  A third cut log will have a different taper than a second cut log.

You will end up with a number that is taken to a decimal point.  So, the volume gets bumped up a little for each increase in form class.  We have a form class built in to our tree volume calculator.   
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodmills1

since circumference is equal to Pi times diameter you can make a DBH tape easily.  Use any flexible material and make marks 3.14" apart and lable them 1  2 3  etc and they will directly convert to the diameter in inches.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

nyforester

I like using a biltmore stick.
It measure DBH - outside bark,
height in 16 foot logs,
log volume from 8 foot to 20 foot logs,
and also has a ruler.
[img width=300 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/y166/nyforester/114215.jpg[/img]
It much faster than tapes or calipers.
I do use tapes on trees over 30 inches.
I have found that the sticks error increases with size.

Ron Wenrich

I remember one of the first jobs that I did was to go out with a consultant to see why his figures were so far off from our mill figures.  In order to make up for the difference, he was going to mark more trees. 

He was using a Biltmore stick.  He would call out his measurements to an assistant, who would record them.  I went and checked some of those measurements with my diameter tape.  He was consistantly off by 1 or 2 diameter classes.  He also measured midslope instead of topslope on a hillside.  We never bought from him again.

Biltmores may be quicker, but the accuracy is very dependent on the user.  It is wise to check yourself periodically to make sure you are still doing accurate work.

Gilman

Thanks for all the great replies, now I have more questions.

Quote1 or 2 diameter classes

1) What's a diameter class?

2) What's form class?

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Ron Wenrich

Diameter class is just a group of trees that are relatively the same diameter.  Here on the East coast, we generally use 2" diameter classes.  12", 14", 16", etc.  Sawtimber classifcation generally starts at 12".  The West coast used to use 4" classes when I worked there. 

For the 18" dbh class, all trees from 17.01" to 19.00" are considered in the 18" class. 

Form class I covered above.  Its the ratio of diameter inside bark at 17' / dbh *100.  Its usually expressed as a whole number and it gives the amount of taper.  In the northeast, most species use either a 78 or an 80.

SwampDonkey

Also, on the west coast when measuring DBH, make sure you scrape the moss and loose bark from the tree at the dbh height. It can get pretty thick in some locations.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Phorester

A Biltmore stick or a tree scale stick is the least accurate device to measure tree diameters and height.  Accuracy using one can be developed, but it takes a lot of practice and use, comparing it to more accurate devices, to get accurate with one.

wmrussel

Not trying to promote a company, but I know where you can order diameter tapes & loggers tapes with diameter tapes on the back side.  Construction safety products is who I use.  I go through roughly 5 or 6 d-tapes a year and a couple of loggers tapes.  Of course, I also cruise several hundred or thousand acres (depending on the month).  So I'm measuring thousands of trees a month.  If you want their info, drop me a line. 

My name is William, but people call me Pete.  Long story......

Thank You Sponsors!