iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jeff and Tammy's Great Adventure

Started by Jeff, May 07, 2006, 07:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Some of you know, but many may not, that crtreedude and his wife Amy's company has generously provided Tammy and I with an invitation and an adventure that is a chance of a lifetime for us. We are going to Costa Rica!

While we are down there we will have our cameras and also a laptop Computer (that was given to the Forestry Forum by our friend and member Tn_logger just for such occasions) so we can keep in touch and report back to you folks what we see and learn about forestry and re-forestation. We will also be checking in on our pal fla.Dead_header and his new wife.  Tammy and I have never really traveled and this will be Tammy's first time in an airplane. Its old hat for me now that I been to Tom's so I can be her guide for a change. Usually its her having to lead me around. :)

Anyhow, our plans are coming together and I wanted to share them with all of you because in a way, and as much as I can, we are going to try to take all of our forestry forum friends with us via reports and pictures while we are there.

We have our itinerary now. It may change a bit, but it should be pretty close.  We have our passports back and ready (SCARY LOOKIN THINGS), we even have our plane tickets! What I don't know are things like, Is it legal to wear Bermuda shorts in Costa Rica? Dunno. :-\ ;)  My guess its not legal for some one that looks like ME to wear Bermuda shorts in Costa Rica. :-X

Anyhow, here is our Itinerary as it stands right now. 8)

Items marked with * are firm; all others can be changed to another time or skipped, according to what we all feel like doing at the time.

*Thurs June 22 arrive 8:36 PM, be picked up to go to hotel Brilla Sol – Your room has been reserved; you can see the hotel at http://www.hotelbrillasol.com/ -- There is only one door out of the airport, and someone from the hotel will be holding up a yellow sign with your name.

*Fri AM Fred meets you at your hotel for breakfast

*Meet w/ Lucía Rodriguez, our forester, over lunch at the technological university and see their bookstore -- We'll give you a free copy of the book on timber trees that Lucía coauthored, so she'll sign it if you like.

Fri PM arrive at the town of Linda Vista, where Harold Matthews and our partner both live. Harold has invited you to stay with him during your trip.

Sat tour Finca Leola farm #2 with Fred – hilly hiking, beautiful river where you can rest and throw a line in

Sat short walk to Rio Celeste w/ picnic (we'll invite a group)

*Sun AM hike to La Fortuna waterfalls; see souvenirs, art gallery, all near Arenal Volcano

Lunch in a La Fortuna restaurant

Sun PM tour Finca Leola farm #1 with Fred

Sun night to Wed stay at farm #1 with caretaker Martin and family – Martin can safely take you into the rainforest, show you how he goes spearfishing, and take you riding our horses. You'll see the day-to-day operation of the farm and get Spanish immersion.

Wed Harold picks you up and takes you back to Linda Vista

Th early AM Jeff and Fred fishing, maybe early PM also

Lunch at restaurant next to river full of iguanas; lots of interesting carvings and masks

See local leatherwork and indigenous crafts

Fri June 29 AM Jeff and Fred wood exploring trip to sawmills, wood depositories, furniture makers -- *Amy and Tammy will be guest teachers at beginning English classes at a little country school from 10:30 to 11 and 1:20 to 2.

*Sat Jul 1 AM Fred takes you to Posada Mimosa resort to spend Saturday and Sunday (noon check-in). See their Web site http://www.mimosa.co.cr/ -- It's a beautiful place just to relax, or you could take a day trip, like to Sarchi to see everything that's made from Costa Rican wood plus visit an oxcart factory – the hotel owner can help you go wherever you'd like.

*Mon July 3 the hotel will get you to the airport by 5 AM for your 7 AM flight.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RavioliKid

I am so excited for you and Tammy!

Have a great trip!
RavioliKid

sprucebunny

That's  a dream trip  8) 8) I'm looking forward to your photos and  hearing about what you see.

I'd love to go to Costa Rica someday but they have lots of a certain reptile that I REALLY don't like ::) ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Paschale

Giddy up!  With that laptop, we'll all be going for the ride!   8) 8) 8)

Hmm...though I wouldn't worry about giving us updates that are too huge--enjoy yourselves, more than anything, and then take all the time in the world to share the details of your trip when you get back.  I'm happy for you guys!   ;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

crtreedude

I don't know who is more excited - Tammy or Amy. Honest. Amy spent all day yesterday putting together the itinerary!

We weren't sure where we would be during this week - up here in Ciudad Quesada or at the second finca. Well, it was just decided (we think) yesterday. We got a call from our Landlord asking if someone could rent the house that we are in with an option to buy. We said sure.

We are planning on being out at the second finca by June 10th!

Boy Jeff - are you sure you can stand having your first really trip be Costa Rica?  ;)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

crtreedude

Oh, to the question. NO - ONLY TOURIST TYPES WEAR BERMUDA SHORTS!

Don't go to the bad place - we all wear jeans. It really isn't as hot here as you might think.

Wait a minute - I think Harold wears them too...

Part_Timer

Enjoy your trip and best of luck with the fishing.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

DanG

Harold wears bermuda shorts because he don't own any long britches. ;D :D

Tammy and Jeff, I'm wishin' ya a really great time down there.  I'm lookin' forward to the pics when ya get back.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Texas Ranger

Ya know, there is always some one to throw cold water on the excitement, so I'll only say it once.

fer-de-lance[/size]

;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

No Problem Don, I got Bermuda Shorts. Here they are:

Wildflower

I think it is a tie between Amy and I as to who is more excited.  :D   I just can not believe we are going to Costa Rica. I am so looking forward to seeing the trees and all the neat  things they have.  I am really looking forward to meeting Fred and Amy.  We will post lots of picture when we return. I am taking my own camera so you all will get two perspectives of the trip.   :D

Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

crtreedude

One of my secrets of success is to only have one camera. AND I HAVE IT!

There are few pictures of me - and this is considered a positive thing!  ::)

scsmith42

Sounds like an awesome trip!  Y'all have a great time.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Tom

Yeah!   Y'all come back now, Ya hea' ?

Pete J

Hi Jeff and Tammy,

I may not be the biggest world traveler but I'll offer up my advice as if it were me going on the trip.

Travel light. Maybe one bag that will fit in the overhead compartment on the plane and a little backpack over your shoulder. If you can avoid checking a single bag, you will get through baggage claim and customs inspection much quicker. Remember, this is an International trip and it is post 9/11. The trip to Florida was easier since you never left the USA. If you are going through Miami or Dallas, with luggage, be prepared for mucho mucho long lines. I sometimes pack old clothes that I don't re-pack. I throw them away once I've worn them. I usually pick up 1 or two souvenier t-shirts anyway.

Remember sunscreen. Even though it's cooler in the mountains, you are near the equator, and many thousand feet higher in elevation. My math says 10 minutes in CR sun equals 1 hour of CT sun. You can fry very quick.

Figure out the exchange rate right when you land. Cash in some good 'ol greenbacks for some CR Colones and have the rate memorized. It is real easy the think you got a pocket full of monopoly 10,000 bills when they hand you 1/2 million in colones. Take this advice with a bit of seriousness. Even though you are in good hands with Fred and Amy as hosts, You'll feel like crap if you find out later that you paid $120 for a $12 cab ride. I know someone that did that.

Eat the rice and beans for breakfast and the chicken, cilantro rice for dinner, and some of the local Tico dishes. I think they have the best food in the world. If you drink rum, the Costa Rican Centenario brand is the best in the world. Mixed with a little Coca Cola that is made with sugar instead of our corn syrup brand, and you'll have a fine time.

Lastly, absorb the experience and culture that you can only get from visiting a foreign land. Michigan will seem a much smaller place when you return.

Have a blast!

Pete

Jeff

Once you check your luggage on the first flight., you have to get it and recheck it before the international flight?

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

Fla._Deadheader

My shorts get any looser, and they will be long Speedos  ::) ::) ::)

Went from a decent redneck to a RAPPER ? look ???

2 bags are the limit, per person, + a carry-on. Mucho Plata for other bags.  >:( >:(  60 # limit OR 45 # limit. Depends on how they look at you in Estado Unidas  >:( >:( >:(

Throw away stuff is a good idea. Wash and wear is the rule here. Maybe 2 decent outfits, NON Touristy, and yer good to go.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Pete J

I just thought of one more tidbit. Make a photo copy of each of your passports and drivers license and swap them with each other. That way, if you lose your bag with your passport in it, you have something to help you at the US Embassy. I know another guy who left his bag on the ground behind his rental car and drove away. When he returned a short time later it was gone, with his passport, wallet, return plane ticket and all his cash. It is tough to fly home that way. It took him 4 days to get a new passport and have friends wire money to him. Not a relaxing way to extend a vacation.

Not to alarm you, I just want you be better prepared.

CHARLIE

Y'all have a great time.  You are right when you said this will be an experience of a lifetime.  Enjoy experiencing another country's customs and foods.  IMPORTANT:  Keep a daily log of what you did, who you met and what you ate.  Ten to fifteen years from now you'll be glad you did when you re-read it and realize how many memories you had forgotten. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

crtreedude

Jeff and Tammy are on training wheels for this trip - they will always be with our people or us. This keeps them out of too much trouble - we hope.

Except for the trouble we are going to get into with them.  ::)

I would go with much more than 2 outfits - you are going to be very active. Talk with Amy on this one, she has a packing list we have always used - and honed - from our trips before we lived here.

Good footwear is critical - I use hiking boots - waterproof. But, Sandals are great for just hanging out.

You are going to be eating pretty much Tico Tipico the whole time - but generally with good cooks - much better than in a restaurant.

asy

Sounds fantastic...

Boss and Bossette...   THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER IS:

You are vicariously travelling on our behalfs.

To that end, we require full blow-by-blow descriptions, we want to smell every dish!!!

PHOTOS OF EVERYTHING PLEASE!!! :D

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

crtreedude

But, the picture of me must wait till the end - after all, we wouldn't want the camera to break, now would we?

Wildflower

I plan on taking lots of pictures. I am making albums when we travel to different parts of the county.
8) 8) woohoo 35 days counting down  8)  8)
Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

asy

I'm just so excited for you Tammy, I can't wait either!!!

Make sure you take lots and heaps of photos pleeeeeeeeease :D

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!