iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some Folks Shouldn't Own Welders

Started by Corley5, May 06, 2006, 11:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Maybe permits should be issued to buy welders ;D  I bought this IH 2001 loader a few days ago and except for this

It's a pretty nice loader.  It needs some new lines but is otherwise straight except for somebody's attempt at welding.  I'm not an expert welder but I can do a lot better than this and it won't break in the same place again when I'm done :)  This loader was on a Farmall 504 but it should work on an H or 300.  The bucket doesn't amount to much either but I'm more interested in it for moving rounds bales with a spear.  Gonna take some cuttin and grindin to get back to the point this can be fixed right ::)

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

RichlandSawyer

Looks like they were trying to glue that steel on with bird manure.
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

brdmkr

I just got a welder, so I can't say much :D :D

o'course I wouldn't try to weld anything important just yet either ;)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

getoverit

I used to tell people that my welding was something akin to sewing up a cow's butt with a grape vine... its ugly and sometimes painful, but it holds ;D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

J_T

I would be glad they had a welder  :D If it had been fixed right it may of brought a ton of money  ::)
Jim Holloway

sawguy21

That is the reason I leave welding to somebody else  I can sorta do it on mild steel but won't try anything like that cause that is how it would probably look. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

IMERC

Quote from: getoverit on May 06, 2006, 11:42:13 PM
I used to tell people that my welding was something akin to sewing up a cow's butt with a grape vine... its ugly and sometimes painful, but it holds ;D

would that be similar to a gorrilla weld... strong but ugly...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

metalspinner

Barbers need a state license.  In fact there is a State Board of Cosmotology if you can believe it.  I asked the lady cutting my hair the other day why you needed a license to cut hair and she said, "So everyone can't do it".  I guess something as important as killing yourself with leathal doses of electricity or an "important" weld breaking isn't what our government is interested in (nor should they be!).
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Cedarman

I had a professional welder weld a clutch pedal for me because I wanted to make sure it didn't break again.  A clutch pedal on a MF 165 breaking is an interesting experience. Lasted about 3 weeks.  Did the job myself, looks ugly but is still holding together 20 years later.  Beauty is skin deep, ugly can go to the bone.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

SwampDonkey

Quite a few welders around here because we have a few shops and some folks even have their own shop they work evenings in and weekends. But, I do think alot are heading to the oil patch because the shops in town are looking for welders. But, I learnt one thing alot of those welders go from shop to shop and end up coming back after they've done the cuircut. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

Greg, I see you found the old loader I tried to repair. :( ;D 
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Qweaver

That old saying, "ugly but strong is seldom true.  I guess if a weld is strong enough that it does not break doing the job it is intended for...then it is a "good enough" weld.  But that's not the kind of work that I want to bet my life and limb on. 

Most welders that know how to properly prepare and make a 100% weld with the right electrode can also make a pretty and strong weld...usually, but not always!  If two pieces of metal are simply butted up and welded all around with no attempt to back grind to achieve 100% penetration, then that weld will be almost certain to fail far below where it should. 

I've seen a few  pretty welds done by so called "professional" welders that were just awful inside.   But most ugly welds that I've looked at were also poor qualty strength wise...even if they had held for years...they had just never been highly stressed.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Bro. Noble

I've had the opportunity to watch a few really expert welders do some difficult welds.  It always amazes me how slow a good welder is-------I'm really fast ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Burlkraft

Those welds hardly even qualify for having a bird squeezed over them :D :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Skytramp

I am a certified welder and have burned lots of rod, and have made and saw some really bad welds, but that one is up there close to # 1 , ha,
     What happens a lot is that people try to burn a 7018 rod with an ac welder,  there are some ac 7018 rod but often time they are not informed.  Also some people just can't weld horizintal.  A good rod for every day farm work on rusty metal and, what I get a lot to work with is grader blades and bed rails. ha.  is the 6011, it is a good ac or dc rod and most anyone that can weld at all can burn it.  Also 7014 is a really good rod for people with less experiance but it is a dc rod also.  I use it a lot on horizontal and overhead and when blending metals such a t-88 to mild steel.  The 6013 is a rod that anyone can burn with ac but doesn't need to be used where strength is important or when blending metals.  I am not trying to educate anyone or start a welding rod war, these are just some things that have worked for me.
Sky
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

Cedarman

Skytramp, you keep on educating.  I can use all I can get.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

getoverit

Believe it or not, I actually did take the course and became certified with my welding. Spent the first 2 weeks of the course in books without burning a rod to learn types of steel, types of welds, and types of rods. Then, months of welding before I was certified (x-ray and bend testing to a 9G certification) I'm still not proud of some of the welds I make though, mainly because I dont do it every day and tend to "lose the touch" at making some pretty welds. I know what will hold and what wont though. Its not always the pretty welds that hold....it is what is under the surface as mentioned above.

It is an art, and knowing rods, metals, their strengths and uses is half of the job. Actually putting them to use and practice, practice, practice is what makes all the difference.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

DanG

You're right about the practice, GOI.  I'm not certified(at least not in welding  :-X ) and never had any lessons.  I just bought a welder and started striking sparks.  Over the years, I've gotten to where I can do pretty well on most stuff.  For a while, I was making doodads out of horseshoes and welded on a regular basis.  It wasn't hard to make pretty welds after a bit of that.  Then somebody stole my welder and I did without for a couple of years.  By the time I got another one, I had a sawmill, and only use it occasionally.  I can still make a strong joint by taking my time and following all the rules, but "pretty" seems to have gone out the window. :-\ :D

BTW, if life or limb depends on it, I take it up the road to a buddy that really knows how  to weld. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dan_Shade

I used to work for a crane company, they had a guy welding booms that wasn't supposed to be welding booms, he hadn't been certified....

he couldn't understand why everybody flipped out when they found out he had been welding, and they had to figure out which booms he did weld.

my welding... well.... i like to weld new/clean steel :) preferably with a MIG.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

PawNature

GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Gary_C

I have a loader like that on an IH 574. My loader has two cylinders on the bucket instead of one.

Trust me, keep the welder handy if you use it much. I think the one I have has more weld metal and reinforcing plate than original metal. On my loader, that cross brace where your single cylinder mounts has been broken right where it is welded to the two main arms and reinforced many times.

My loader has done a lot of work for me, but it does require a lot of maintenance.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!