Christmas comes early to Whitepe's house

Started by whitepe, November 30, 2002, 11:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitepe

Now that I have an LT15 and have access to plenty of
sawn lumber, it only seemed obvious to get the next
tool in the food chain.  

Since the LT15 does such a good job it almost seems
like a waste to buy a planer but what the heck.

Rick Schmalzried was at my place last Sunday when
we unloaded it from my pickup and my wife came out
while we were unpacking it and she didn't know about it yet.
Rick's being there kept me from getting yelled at by my wife.
Thanks Rick.  

My wife said that there's my Christmas present and I wasn't
getting anything else.  :D
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Rick Schmalzried

I tell you, that was a little stressful.  I had found myself in between an upset woman and her target.  

I thought he had told her about it, but I guess I should have learned with his chainsaw purchase this spring!  I thought he would have learned.  
Hopefully this won't happen...   but I think I will check with his wife before going out there again.;D ;D
_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

whitepe

Rick,
It's a planer not a guillotine. However if she ever learns
how to use the 044 I might have to turn the solar kiln
into an apartment. :D
Nothing worse than an angry wife.

PEW

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Minnesota_boy

If you use that LT-15 to plain-saw (as opposed to quarter sawing) hardwood, you'll have plenty of reasons to use that planer.  From my experience, if you saw at 1" thickness, keep the width at 8" or less or the boards may not clean up at 3/4".  You could saw thicker planks to plane out to 3/4", but how much wood would you waste doing it?  I'd rather glue narrower boards together to make a wider board.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

CHARLIE

Congratulations on your new Tool Whitepe!  Looks like a Jet Planer you have there. They make good quality tools.  I must say, that was pretty poor timing to be unloading that thing with the wife home. Should have waited, got it into the shop and thrown sawdust all over it and leaned some boards up against it.  The best one I pulled was when I was using my new air nailer and my wife walks into the shop. "Where'd you get that?" She said...  I replied, "Why honey, don't you remember? You bought this for me 2 or 3 Christmases ago." She wasn't sure whether she had or not so didn't say anything more.;D  
Now that's thinking on your feet! 8)

Now, here is how to redeem yourself. Get a fine looking board with a lot of figure. Plane it down and make something with it for your wife and be sure to tell her that you couldn't have ever done it without that planer. ;)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Gordon

Congrats on the new toy.

But I must say the one Charlie did was classic. "Dont you remember honey you got that for me two or three Christmases ago"

Yes Charlie that was thinking on your feet. Shoot you could hold your own at where I work thinking like that. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do;D

Gordon

Jeff

OH DON-NAAAA!!!!!!

I want a lathe so bad I can taste it
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin_H.

Whitepe,

how wide a plainer do you have there?

hope you've got a big enough vac to keep up with it ;D

my woodshop is 7 miles from my house, the few times my wife gets over there, she can never what I already had ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

bull

You guys......  You need to buy all your new tools and toys for the wife and then she lets you use them...... I bought the wife a John Deere riding lawn mower for Mothers day, a cordless drill on her Birthday and a Baker PAQ resaw for Christmas...
 What a nice guy !!! She lets me use them all the time. Oh yeh and the big one I give some Cash every week she know's where i hide my wallet !!!!!  ;) ;)   She also helps in the mill and does the book  boy am I the lucky one *( not bad to look at either)**** 8) 8) 8)

Jeff

Quoteboy am I the lucky one *( not bad to look at either)

How do we know? We have never saw you. :D :D :D

Oh! you meant your wife.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I've got it all figured out but it keeps me on my toes.  My wife buys me all kinds of tools.  The last was  a Dewalt 12" sliding compound miter saw. I had talked about wanting a miter/chopoff saw to square the ends of boards but I really wanted one big enough to square mantel slabs and stuff like that. Well, it wasn't anytime before she called me to her Suburban to unload the box.  

The problem is that she actually wants me to use them.  She has projects in her mind that she thinks I should jump right on because now I have the tool and no excuse.  ;D   :-/

It's not unusual to find her pushing such projects as "new" sawill, new set of open end wrenches, pneumatic tools (which would you use the most, she asked?), tractor tires, tractors, new pickup truck, big lawn mowers, etc.  She built me a 24x48 metal building that is supposed to be a wood working shop one day and she is still hinting about the deck in the backyard.  The only reason I have dragged my feet is that she wants it to cover about 1/3 acre and include a cooking house, a big Gazebo, restroom, sauna and a wooden floored parking area for her suburban. :-/

bull

Hey Jeff  I have a great gift Idea for your wife!!!!!
   How about a lathe...... :D :D

ElectricAl

Jeff,

If your thinking about a JET lathe for your wife, we have a new dealer in Cedar Rapids, Iowa making deals.

The JET 1442 was priced to us at $710 localy, Amazon wants $799, and another dealer wanted $820.

This is a new model for 2003, swings 14" and will chuck 42".

Linda is debating on the 1442 or the 1642.

We bought a New JET 18" bandsaw 3 weeks ago, but we have been so busy it's still on a pallet.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Tom

Ah-h-h--h  Man-n--n---n   I want one of those. :-/ :)

ElectricAl

Tom,

Only $940 on sale with a JET promotional discount.

Another cool feature is, we can use Wood-Mizer
1 1/4 .035  5/8" TS blades........

RICK,

Excellent use of "Smilie" guys.
They really help bring your message to life.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

ElectricAl

Well, we posted Dec 1, 2002 that our 18" Jet bandsaw was three weeks old and it was still sitting on a pallet.

Here we are March 29th 2003, and Linda's bandsaw is in the same place sitting on the shipping pallet >:(

Pros and Cons to being busy.

Linda needed the saw so she flipped the plastic up and got going ;D

I also ordered a Jet 1442 Lathe for Linda. Hopefully, it's installed before this Christmas ::)

ElectricAl

Bibbyman

And people laughed at me for getting Mary a posthole digger for her birthday (years ago.).

Well,  she thought it was a vast improvement over the old "armstrong" digger she had before.  We even let her run the tractor since it was her birthday and all.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Mark M

When I was about 16 I got my mom and dad an electric soldering gun set for their 25th anniversary. I never could figure out why they thought it was funny. I would have really liked to have one.

Mark

EZ

I've had my 18 inch Jet for about 4 yrs now & still going strong. Probably the best investment I've made for my wood shop.
EZ

Patty

Linda's bandsaw looks just like the one Norm got me for Christmas...still on the pallet. I peek into the box now & then, just to remind me what is in there. Great new toy, I mean tool, can't wait to get it up & running!   8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Frank_Pender

So, I know how it is, too.  When we go to the State Fair each year we always spend a few minutes infront of the scroll saw promotors.  Alice always says, "I sure would like to be able to do that.  I think I would like it."  Usually a woman is operating the thing to show how easy it is done.  Well, last year I boutght a $1600 unit and did not tell her about it right away.  I fond a way to entice her to come to the woodshop, which is about a 1/4 of a mile from the house on the Tree Farm.  There is sets. she has not even tried to use the blasted thing. :'(  I could just as well have spentthe $ on a toy for myself. ;D
Frank Pender

Tom

Frank,
I've done the same thing.  What I do to try to keep here interested is litter the house with magazines with intarsia and fretwork pictures.  Everytime she sees one of these magazines or pictures she thinks about taking the scroll saw out of the box.  Nope......it's not even out of the box yet. I want her to do it.  That way I'll know she's getting serious. :D

I'm going to start saving some thin trim boards off of the mill too.  Maybe thin stuff will not be so intimidating. :-/

This picture showng what one of my off-loaders does, creating intarsia with his scroll saw is what got her interested in the beginning.

ElectricAl

Patty,

If your Jet bandsaw is the new style 18" or bigger, you can order blades from Wood-Mizer.

We got an 1 1/4  .035  7/8 ts  133" long.

It's a challenge getting it mounted but it hogs right along. The 1.5 hp motor is lacking though.

We got the WM blade to trim up Walnut crotch burls.

ElectricAl

Norm

I wanted to get Patty the Jet 18" but it was on backorder so I got the Delta bandsaw instead. I guess I better get it out of the box and assembled so we can use it on an project we have coming up.

ElectricAl

Norm,

It's funny how a guy has time to figure out what to buy his wife, and has time to order it, but by the time it arrives your busy again >:(

Patty mentioned a "Log Cabin" up coming,
a log cabin woodworking shop?

ElectricAl

EZ

ElectricAl,
Your right about the 1.5 motor, I hook mine over to 220 and seems to do a little better, try it if you have'nt already.
EZ

Norm

Well the real reason I haven't gotten around to putting the bandsaw together is that the moon hasn't been in the right phase, no I don't have the right tools, no the shop isn't heated, or let me think of some of the other excuses other than no excuse at all. ;D

I want to try building a small timber frame cabin by our pond, now if only we can get some rain to fill it up. Best way to get a drought is to build a pond. Maybe this late snow storm will help.

Thank You Sponsors!