miles/hour................1.609..................kilometers/hour
miles/hour................0.8684................knots
mile..........................5280...................feet
mile..........................1760...................yards

FORMULAS

hydraulic calculations

motor HP=Torque(lb. ins.) x RPM / 63025

cylinder HP=GPM x PSI x 0.000583

motor torque=PSI x motor displacement(ins.cubed)
                           (lb.ins.)                         2 x PI

motor shaft speed=                 GPM x 231                     
                              (RPM)            motor displacement(ins.cubed/rev)

1hp electric motor = 1.5 hp hydraulic motor

torque=PSI x motor displacement(ins.cubed)
                    (lbs.ins.)                      2 x PI

Watts = amps x volts

circumfrence = 2 x PI x radius

DanG= darn squared

SPECIAL CONVERSIONS

meter            = metre
     liter               = litre
     aluminum        = aluminium (I guess in Australia its radio active!! A bit of science geek humor)
     color              = colour
     freedom fries   =french fries

May 1 2006 in US                       = 05-01-2006
     May 1 2006 in Everywhere else     = 01-05-2006
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

highpockets

Good things to know, thanks.

I still think pie (PI) are round not square
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Dan_Shade

http://joshmadison.net/software/convert/

this little shareware gem is a lifesaver!  could have saved NASA a billion dollars or something a few years ago!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Gary_C

Recheck your formula for Horsepower.  One horsepower is equal to 33,000 ft-lbs/min. What units are you using?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Dan_Shade

he's right, 1 HP is 745 watts which is 33000lb-ft/minute

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Engineer

There is a small black book available called "Pocket Ref" by Thomas J. Glover.  It's anywhere from four to eight bucks, depending on where you buy it, and it's got all the formulas for conversion plus a million other handy things in it.  Worth every penny, I have one in the office and one in my truck at all times. 

SwampDonkey

A gallon of water here is 4.54 litres. ;D

In forestry school the professors would dok points if you did a math problem and used liters or meters instead of litres and metres. Not to nit pick, but I thought I relay how fussy or bent out of shape people can get over nothing really. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

i'd have no problem with that since I refuse to recognize the metric system!

RichlandSawyer

Sorry fellas i wasnt specific that hp calc was supposed to be in a hydraulic section its fixed now, if i get a chance later i'll add more hydraulic stuff. I have gotten a couple emails about that sort of thing so i will expand that section. Thanks for reading and keep an eye on me i did most of this after midnight so i may be alittle foggy.

scsmith42

I too have a Pocket Reference and use it quite frequently.

Here a formula that I use quite frequently when building things on the farm.  You can create a perfect right triangle, such as for determing where to layout building corners, etc, by using the rule of "3-4-5".  3,4,5 represents the relationship between each side of a right triangle.  For instance, the sides of a right triangle can be 3" 4" and 5", or  9", 12", and 15", or 6', 8' and 10', or 30', 40' and 50', etc.

It's easiest to apply when you use multiples of the numbers. 

To use the formula, determine a number that represents one side of your triangle.  It can be any one of the three sides, but I usually use the short side. 

For instance, if you want to lay out the corners of a 24' x 36' building, determine where the corners will be for one of the 24' sides.   You'll use this as the short side of your right triangle, or the "3" side.  24 divided by 3 = 8.  So using 8 as your multiplier, your triangle sides would be 24' [3 x 8], 32' [4 x 8] and 40' [5 x 8].    Stake the ends of your 24' corners, and take two tape measures off of each corner, crossing them tightly at 32' and 40'.  If you extend your 32' tape in a straight line out a few more feet to 36' that's where your other corner post goes.  The fourth corner can be determined by measuring from the other 3.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DoubleD

I use this site to convert from metric to imperial and viceversa
conversion on-line
I think that is helpful
Wannabe a sawmiller

RichlandSawyer

DoubleD,

I worked with a group of Italian engineers at the Barilla pasta plant in Ames, Iowa several years ago and i wish they had spoke english as well as you do, It would have made the job go so much smoother.

dundee

To: Dan_shade---Hey Dan, better get aquainted with metric,---it's comin your way, there are huge savings, especially is sawing lumber =recovery

DoubleD

Richland Sawyer thank you  ;)
Sometimes people don't pay to much attetion to learn to speak in English but IMO today English is the language used in every corner of this World so for me is really important to learn at least a foreign language.
I am glad that my parent pushed me to attend an English class when I was 9 so I could speak with a bunch of nice guys and gals in this wonderful forum  8) 8) 8)
Wannabe a sawmiller

SwampDonkey

Also, in metric it's alot easier to figure in 10th's than it is in 12's , 8th's, 32nd's etc. Makes me alot more productive as I'm not a wiz at doing fast math with the noodles. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Engineer

Barilla pasta is made in IOWA?   :o

Oh, now you've gone and done it.  Here I thought I was getting imported pasta and it's American made. 

:D :D :D

woodmills1

While visiting a friend in Florida s few years ago she had a couple from Italy there also.  Conversation was tough as they spoke little english and we spoke no itialian.  I did get to do metric conversions when the Itilian woman was making dinner one night, volumes as well as temperature. :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Quote from: dundee on May 05, 2006, 02:33:49 PM
better get aquainted with metric,---it's comin your way,
They have been telling us this for what?? 30 years now! ;D :D
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

SwampDonkey

I think even longer than 30 years.  ;) All the loggers around here that finished school before 1980 use the imperial system. Don't bother telling them M^3, doesn't mean a thing. :D I use F in summer months, and C or F in winter months.

Dan_Shade

it's sort of forced upon us, but our brains don't think in metric, we think in inches/miles/gallons.  the only people that seem to care about our dislike of metric are people in other parts of the world  ::)

i can look at a bolt and know what size it is if it's standard, but if it's metric, I have to grab a handful... 

KiwiCharlie

I like this little program - its helped me heaps understand what you guys talk about sometimes!
http://www.savardsoftware.com/masterconverter/
Having said that, can any tell me why I see 5/16-18 sometimes, ie whats the 18 for after the 5/16ths?  Millimetres is just so easy!  ;)
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

RichlandSawyer

KiwiCharlie,

The 18 is the number of threads per inch

KiwiCharlie

RichlandSawyer

A quote from my wife..."You are such a nerd!!! Nobody gets the radio active joke except you"

Come on guys save me here i know i'm not the only one that gets it.

RichlandSawyer

You guys are really killing me here  smiley_hanged

scsmith42

Sorry Richland, that one went over my head...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

KiwiCharlie

Maybe your wifes right after all!!...  :D ;)

Thank You Sponsors!