iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grading Sticks

Started by fstedy, May 04, 2006, 08:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fstedy

Anyone know where I can purchase a Grading Stick? I did a several searchs without  any luck.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tom

http://store.logrite.com/

This sponsor's online store has grading sticks, cant hooks, and lots of other tools.

I have a "Tom-T-shirt-Red" cant hook,  myself.

Todd

And a right pretty cant hook it is! ;)
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

fstedy

One of the first places I looked was the Logrite site and they only showed log scaling rules. I am looking for a tally or grading stick thats used when grading lumber for sale. From what I understand they show surface measure and cutting units of a piece of lumber. Also looked a Baileys and they didn't have it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.

Larry

Fstedy, your right about the use of a grading stick.  Sent Logrite a suggestion about making one while back...don't know if it would be practical out of aluminum the way they are used.

Used to be all the hardwood yards gave away cheap sticks with there name on it...advertizement.  Haven't seen one in years...but somebody I bet, is still making those cheapies.

The grading stick is the fastest way to tally lumber.  A lot less chance for error than the calculator.  You lay the stick across the board and read surface measure which in 4/4 is the board footage.  No calculations involved.  The only time I don't use it is when making a layer tally.

If you find any of the cheap ones post back here...got couple of guys that want em but don't like the price of the one I posted.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

fstedy

I found a Grading Stick on the NHLA website under merchandise.

Larry

That's the link I posted. :D 

I have that one...and keep it in a PVC tube when not in use. ;D

Also have a free one from Paxton lumber...it's made just like a cheap yard stick.

fstedy

Larry I'm sorry didn't realize that was a link thanks for the help.

inspectorwoody

Thank You Sponsors!