iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unknown South Eastern tree

Started by wills widow, May 03, 2006, 10:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wills widow

Hey all. I have searched all my reference books but I cant figure this one out. I will post pictures in a few days if no one can help. I live in South Carolina and I first noticed these trees around February I guess. Back then they were leafless and had these globular orange berries about the size of a cherry growing on them. These berries grew in clumps. This was a real good indicator. Most were about thirty feet tall. For some reason or another I can just imagine this tree looking like something you would see in Texas. Its branches kind of grow up for the most part then scraggle out a bit. I have seen these trees in somewhat dry soils. Around some sycamore, cedar, and a wide variety of other trees. Now that they have leafed out. I noticed some small blue or white flowers on them. The leaves grow off the stem kinda like a locust tree. I think the leaves were lance shaped. I hope this description helps. Thanks for your time.

DanG

Hi, ww, and welcome to our Forum. :)

I'd really like to see some pics, but based on your description, I'll guess it is a Loquat, common name...Japanese Plum.  That's just a guess, of course, but if I'm right, I'm gonna look really good here. 8) ;D 8) :D :D

BTW, if the leaves are real big, like a Magnolia, I'm probably right.  If not, I'll look like a total Donkey. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

wills widow

Hey Dan, its not a loquat. I know my description isnt all that great so Ill break out the digital and get some pics up in a few days. Thanks for your help.

Tom

That description meets so many trees.  It could even be Paw Paw.  Pictures are definitely needed.

thurlow

Does it look like this.........

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

wills widow

no its neither chinaberry, paw paw, or the fruit shown above. These orange berries grow in clusters of maybe 5-10. Ill get some pics ASAP. This is driving me nuts. Thanks for your help.

ohsoloco

Don't know much about southern trees, but from the description if it were around here I would guess mountain ash.

Jeff

I thought I posted this morning, but I guess I didn't. I said almost exactly the same thing ohsoloco said.  I can however go out in the yard in a minute and get some photos of newly emerged leaves of a mountain ash.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Not a very good photo here, but this is the emerging flowers of  mountain ash that will turn into clustters of orange berries that will drunken the local birds.

Complex leaf of the Mountain Ash

Young Tree. I planted this about 8 years ago. The first 6 years it must have been working on putting down roots in our sandy heavily graveled soil. Just the last two years it tripled in size.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

wills widow

Lee, that look similar???Look for pictures to be posted tonight between 8 and 10. Thanks for the help.

SwampDonkey

Could be a type of service berry Amalanchier species , very similar looking  fruit to blueberries, leaves are similar also, fruit is red when ripe. Or something else in the blueberry family is red huckleberry. High bush cranberry/or squash berry also, but the leaves are maple-like and the fruit over winters on the shrub, flowers white. Sometimes you can get a wild one that is orangy-red in the fall colors.  :)

I was originally thinking american or even showy mountain ash, but the leaves are compound. But the buds almost look purplish when they flush in spring.

Another option is the common elder that has purple flowers in spring very early before leaves, but leaves are compound like ash. There is red berried elder, but flowers are white. Break off a stem of this shrub and it is very pungent. Hard to believe you could make a decent drink from the berries of a shrub with such a 'terrible' smell.

Another flowering tree in the spring is black ash with purple pollen flowers, but the leaves again are compound. Seems all our wild shrubs and trees with purple are compound leafed.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

wills widow

Alright. I have got picks up on the internet. I cant figure out how to upload them to my album. I did read the tutorial. Can I post  al link or email them to someone. Thanks

sprucebunny

Here's the pics from wills widow

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thurlow

Sugarberry, maybe;  just guessing.  Fruit is usually purple, 'though my field guide says it can be orange/red.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Texas Ranger

I am at the point of saying it is not a native tree.  Pepper tree is close, but not the right leaves.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

My Grandmother had a large shrub that looked like that in Ft. Pierce.  She would tell the story of a missionary that she knew who brought it back from South America because of the berries, which the birds loved.   I wish I know what the name of her shrub was, but, no one, back then knew.  The berries were fleshy and full of small seeds.

SwampDonkey

I would have to say that it's a non native. It's probably something in the poisen ivy or sumac family, maybe even the hoptree family (probably a stretch). A close-up, focused, picture of the flowers would help.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

wills widow

Thanks for posting the pictures. And thanks for the help. The thing is these trees are everywhere. Maybe I need to contact my local forestry department.

Riles

Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Ianab

I agree, we call it Bead Tree here, but book says Chinaberry is another name.
There are about 10 actual species that are hard to tell apart, but it's commonly grown here as a garden or street tree. Originates in India / central china. The berries are poisonous but the wood is a nice red colour and can be used for woodworking if you can find a tree big enough.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tom

Riles,

I was jumping all over China Berry too, until I saw the picture of the leaf he submitted.
Sure fooled me.  I feel so stupid.  :D

woodbowl

China Berry ...........us kids use to put the berries in the hollow of an elderberry branch, use another stick to pressurize the chamber and pop it out like a gun. It will draw a big red whelp and make a 15 year old yungen hollar ........ MAMA.

The wood saws fairly nice and looks a lot like Mahogany.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

wills widow

Riles, you da man. Thanks for all yalls help.

Thank You Sponsors!