iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawed some cedar today

Started by Corley5, May 03, 2006, 09:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Jeff B came north with his mill and we got started on sawing his cedar.  It was beautiful day to the point it was almost HOT ;) ;D

We didn't get a bunch sawed but made a few boards and some slabs and very little sawdust ;D  Weather permitting we're gonna do it again this weekend 8)

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

How did the engine run? Ok I hope.

Nice pile of wood.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Yep, the engine ran very well, much better then the guy that hauled the mill up there. He's just plain decrepid.  Hopefully the hot shot in southfield this coming monday has a plan to get me running so I can run my own mill.

I think the whole trouble was that boat tank pushing gas into the engine when it was sitting. It never missed a beat today and when we checked the oil when we were done, we didnt gain any either.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

UNCLEBUCK

I just love that photo on top , rolling hills and the mix of pine tree's amongst the hardwood . Boy do I miss Michigan !  Looks like a good day was had !  :)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

sprucebunny

You guys cut up a 'whackette" :D

Glad you got together and made some dust and I hope next Monday is good news, Jeff.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Corley5

I was a little concerned about the rumblings coming from the mill shed.  The old Corley wasn't too happy about this bandmill in its front yard ;)

brdmkr

Nice whack-o-cedar.  Was it pleasing to the nostrils?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

isawlogs

Cool .. or as the boss puts it kewl ....

Ya sawing that to 5 3/4 X 1 inch ?  ;D ;D ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Here is my photo from greg's.  :)

BWG

JeffB and Corley5,

Nice bunch of logs.

What size logs were you sawing...also, does plainsawn nwcedar have warping issues when it dries. 

Bret

Jeff

The logs were smallish. Many we only were getting 3 1x4s out of. Northern white cedar is a pretty stable wood and has less warping problems then any other wood I have ever worked with.

BWG

Thanks, Jeff.  I am buying a M7 portable mill on Sunday and will be spending the summer sawing cedar in Rapid River for a cabin.   I am gratefull for all the help this forum provides! :)

Bret

Jeff

We go through Rapid River usally a few times a year. Going to Chet's or the escanaba engine show or the U.P. state fair.

Corley5

Some of em woulda made better fence posts ;)  I hauled in some slightly bigger ones today ;D

Corley5

Fired up the ole Corley yesterday for the first time in almost two years :o  The MM didn't want to fire at first but as I was checking for spark it finally fired and ran like it always has, SMOKY ;).  I needed material for campfire wood racks and cedar was in stock ;D  Sawed a couple logs after we got her running and sawed a few more this morning.  We used that material up and cut some logs this afternoon.  I was sawing for 4X4s and 2X4s but got a few inch boards in the process.  Sure felt good to saw again.  Gonna have to haul some logs back in for Jeff to saw ;)

Sawed this batch first and had it and yesterday's little bit used up by lunch

This was the afternoons run.  Sawed about 15 sticks all small except for one which made some 2X8s 8)

UNCLEBUCK

I bet it was fun to fire up the Corley ,looks like its been cared for very well. I took your advice Greg and started edging on the mill last week and that is way better than a edger . I was afraid just a bit on the first stack but I pause for a moment after the boards all go through the blade and the boards coming off just lay nicely ,nothing flying around .  I took my time and practiced sawing dimensional only and by gum the target numbers in my head just come second nature after awhile and then reading the scale board only makes it that much easier . A very good tip you had  8)

Corley5

If I've only got a few flitches to edge it's easier for me to do it on the mill than get the edger hooked up.  If I've got a pile of em to run the edger's the only way to go.  I edged a few on the mill today and left some stickered to run through the edger when I've got more.  You've got an edger don't you Uncle Buck ???  I had to rethink my sets today but it all comes back. 2, 4 1/4, 6 1/2, 8 3/4 or 1, 2 1/4, 3 1/2, etc  It's second nature after a while ;D  One thing about sawing 3/4 rather than 4/4 is it all comes out to full numbers.  Grandpa always liked to saw on 3/4.  Easier to figure  8) 8)  It was good to saw 8) 8)  Them little bandmills are neat but there ain't nothing like a big circle saw ;D ;D

jpgreen

That sure is some beautiful country..  8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

UNCLEBUCK

That part of Michigan is a beautiful area indeed jp . 

My method so far is on the 3rd and 4th slab cut that is where I am setting myself up for the dogboard so I might peel off say six 2 inch thick boards and leave them down at the other end of the mill and then send the carriage down with the last little piece of scrap left on it , slide all the full 2 inch boards on the carriage ,maybe 6 of them , then slice off 4 inch thick boards with every pass ending up with a perfect stack of 2x4 left on the carriage . You might want to improve my technique sometime . Seems awfully thick though , a full 2x4 , I read the articles of dry dressed,dry rough etc... Heck I just want something I can grab and use right away  ???

UNCLEBUCK

My sister has dibs on all the flitches as she uses them for some craft stuff so I try to keep her pile off to the side . I am back to the basics here wondering if a full 2x is required , a 1-3/4" sure looks better . What do you think ?

Fla._Deadheader

UB, ya gonna plane 'em ???  If not, you could cut back a little on the 4" way, so the lumber might match other lumber you have ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Corley5

You're ripping 2Xs on the carriage.  Ya that's the way.  1 3/4" is plenty for a rough sawn 2X.  Grandpa sawed sheathing 3/4".  Especially if you're using it rough.  Stuff he was going to plane he'd saw 7/8".  Looking forward to seeing your operation.  It'll be the first part of June.  The exact date hasn't been set yet :)

Paschale

Quote from: BWG on May 05, 2006, 12:14:33 PM
Thanks, Jeff.  I am buying a M7 portable mill on Sunday and will be spending the summer sawing cedar in Rapid River for a cabin.   I am gratefull for all the help this forum provides! :)

Bret

Hey Bret,

I know Rapid River well.   ;D  My dad owns some land over in Stonington, and my great Aunt lived in Rapid River.  We would visit her usually at least once a year when I was growing up, and I still try to get up to our land every year or so when I can.

Love to see your progress on that cabin, hopefully in pictures.  I keep thinking of building a place up there myself.  Add it to the list of projects that I want to do, but just don't seem to have the time to get around to...   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

D._Frederick

Corley5,

How bad does it hurt to run that old gal (MM), being that it is gas?  The Case LAE that I had on the mill would go through 20 -25 gallons a day with my dad and me sawing.

Corley5

It's not too bad.  The second load on the truck took just five gallons of $2.899 gas.  That's also some of the reason I put the few flitches on stickers.  She was out of gas ;D  It'll usually saw 2-2.5 hours on five gallons of gas.

Thank You Sponsors!