iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Marcel makes lamps 101

Started by isawlogs, May 03, 2006, 03:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

I have been asked by a few members to explain the making of a lamp .
So you will have to bear with me , as I am not a photographer and or a teacher ...  ;)

I start with a used lamp ,  ;D  and take it apart , this is where I get my hardware ...

First thing you will need is a potential base I have started this one , poplar (Aspen ) tripod that I have peeled

Once it is peeled and cut to level , this I do by shimming the legs with what ever is handy and of rite height , I mark it by laying a ruler on the table and scribing around the legs , I use a hand saw to cut legs to make it stand staight . Then it is cutting holes , I use a 3/8 bit and make a hole through the center and up , then from top to bottom , I also make a hole through the side for the cord to go in

I put a wire through the hole and grab the electric cord and pull it through the side hole .

Screw in the besel ( threaded insert ) into the top hole , might need to do some minor adjustment to the hole , and epoxy the threaded insert in .

Screw in the base of the bulb holder and wire the socket

Put the top on and put a bulb in

Now if every thing went well it should light up 

pheww .. must of done it rite .  ;D

This one has no shade on it yet .. but if you want to have a shade you need to put the shade holder on prior to the socket as in the next picture

For more info please read again  ;D

Or hollar  :D  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Frank_Pender

Frank Pender

Mooseherder

Very Nice! I gotta try that.

sprucebunny

Good explanation, Marcel, but you didn't give out the secret......

How the heck do you get the holes to meet ??? :D

It's like "The BIG DIG " when I try that.... holes everywhere :D :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

He'll tell ya but in French. I know how to put the lead in the twig pencils he makes in french as well, but in English, I dont have a clue how to do it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paul_H

I want to know how he sneaks up on the Deer to saw off their antlers.It's got to be tricky because them Deer are fast and don't really want to give up their antlers because they tend to grow on them and can become really attached to them.

I suppose a sawbuck is handy to have around,non?  :P
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

Paul,
I've been giving it considerable reflection and have subscribed that Marcell has been swapping French for indigenous weaponry that he is secretively expert at applying.  Little known, is it, that Francis Louis Barrallier, a French-born surveyor and engineer, was the first to record a returning throwing stick in Australia and formed an exclusive  line of western soldiers trained exclusively in the art of the administration of the stick that he called the bumerang.  It's a secret.

It was late in the previous century that  one of these soldiers, the end of a long line of schtick throwers whose ancestry funneled through Yazoo City, Mississippi, offered to Marcell Ledbetter the acquisition of the art.  Marcell learned the art well and has passed it, I understand, to his name-sake, Marcell of the Forum   Marcell of the Forum comes from a long line of French Canadians who were left behind when so many of their brethren traipsed off to Louisiana and were left high and dry when the swamp was sold to the USA.  Marcell Ledbetter, being the honorable Cajun that he was, made sure that his family passed on the indigenous ways discovered by Old Francis, and Marcell of the Forum has practiced and applied the art, under cover, for decades.  That's ten's of years. 

The harvesting of antlers that you mention would be impossible without the sharp edge and returning capabilities of the bumerang (boomerang).  Marcell has become so expertise that he seldom has to carry his quarry home.  It is rumored that he can clip the antlers from a deer at fifty yards, about 45.72 meters, and send them, along with the bumerang, to his farm, and hang both them and the weapon on a nail beside the door of the milking barn.

Don't tell anybody.  :-X

Paul_H

Merci big coupe Tom, but now I'm wondering how he's milking the Deers that he has in the milking barn,especially the ones with antlers  :-\ ;D

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

Well, Paul, It's the does that he does clip and sends them scurrying after their head wear. The antlered dear in the milk barn are lured there after the does does their thing.  The head-dress of the buckaroos, a  definition defined by Howdy Doody, is not fair game and must be removed under the cover of darkness less Marcell be found out for de-antlering does.  The milking of the does does propose a problem in that the bucking in the barn makes it dangerous for Marcell and his pail.   I've got it on good word that there are some bucks that does have does heads in the barn though. :P

Ed_K

Tom, yer gitin as good as Jerry Clower  8).
Ed K

isawlogs

J'aimerais bien pouvoir partager avec vous tous le secret derière toute cette question , mais hélas je ne pourais mis reconaitre moi même .  ;D    And that is it ... Just like the cadbury thing .  :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

Touche' there Bon Ami,  Mum's the word. ;D

slowzuki

J'espere nous obliez dix fois choses que nous memorizes! :D  Et mon pere ma dit qu'il n'ameiller pas avec les annees ;D

sawguy21

And I remember just enough high school French to sort of understand what is taking place here :D :D :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

Well, my never having studied French, not even heard it much, I'm relegated to a single "down-home" exclaimaton that covers everything.    "Oh Yeah!?!?!!!"

sprucebunny

My internet translator can only get about every other word from both you French speakers. Must be an accent in Canada :D

So, I'm with Tom ......
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

isawlogs

Marcel

UNCLEBUCK

Thank's Marcel , very well explained and great pictures and lamps!  :)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Mooseherder

Marcel would like to share more but doesn't think he can remember everything.  ;D

Tom

I would like to see more lamps.   These are cool.  :)

Mooseherder

Tom

Hey!  that's a neat idea.  8)

asy

Ok..

I ran the post where Marcel speaks gibberish through the translator, and it came up with this:

"I very much would like to be able to divide with you all the secret derière all this question, but alas I not put pourais reconaitre myself"

Then...  Slowzuki's came up with:

I J'espere us obliez ten times things that we memorizes!  And my pere my says that it do not n'ameiller with the annees

So..  I'm more confused now, and worried about Marcel's secret deriere...

Oh, and, I think the Antler lamp is just glorious, and would look lovely here on my side table :D

AAAND...  I, too, want to know how you get the holes to line up, coz you know if I tried it, the drill would go right through the other side and it would look like it was worm riddled :(

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!