iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Scale

Started by Stephen1, May 03, 2006, 01:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

It seems since I built this log cabin I have picked up the sawdust bug. I have started building log benches, and am in the need of buying more logs, and of course I think a log scale would be great tool to  start with. I see there are different scale names. What are the difference
and what would be a good one for a beginner like me.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

beenthere

The International 1/4" scale will be about the closest estimate of the board foot yield you can get from the logs. Other scales will work as long as you know the relative difference in the estimate they "estimate".

Do a search on log scales or log rules in the Forum and you will get some good and interesting reading.

You also can just measure the small end diameter inside the bark and the log length, and go to the "Forum Extras" (upper right with orange button) and go in the toolbox to plug those numbers in, that will get you three different log scale estimates for that size log.

Welcome to the forum.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

extrapolate85

I am assuming that you are in Ontario, if so there are two measurement methods used there, Ontario cubic, and the Ontario BF rule (which gives similar results to the International 1/4"). You can download the Ontario cubic scaling handbook and the procedures for the Ontario BF rule from: www.roundwood-measure.com (the cubic handbook is under "Scaling and cruising publications" and the board foot rule can be accessed from the "Scaling links" section). Handbooks and instructions for many other methods of scaling (including International 1/4" can be downloaded from there as well.

Stephen1

Thanks, this info should keep mereading for a while.

Steve
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!