iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log handling

Started by FurnDoc, May 01, 2006, 08:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FurnDoc

Looking for suggestions on methods and equipment needed to maneuver logs 16" to 24" diameter, 8' to 12' long.  I'll be milling with an Alaskan mill set up and won't be able to get a truck to the site.  Logs just need to be turned and rolled a few feet.  I was told to use a peavey pole or cant hook.  Are they up to the job?  Comments appreciated.  Thanks-FurnDoc

Tom

A cant hook and some basic rigging/engineering will do a fine job.

roll the logs on tracks made with small logs, like 4x4   To turn a log, roll it up on a small log placed at its center and you can spin it like a top with one finger.

Don't stand downhill of a log when pulling on a canthook.  Don't put yourself in a precarious position either because the hook may come loose.  Climbing up on a big log and pulling with a canthook may find you on your back.

Two canthooks and two people are a lot better than one. :)

red

knowing the weight of the logs you are working with

https://forestryforum.com/calcs/log_weight.htm

the calculator is kept in the Tool Box 

work safe

RED
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Dan_Shade

It's pretty easy to move around logs that size with a cant hook, just takes some grunting to do it.

If you're looking for a cant hook, you'd be hard pressed to find one better than the one logrite tools makes.

If you are rolling a lot up an incline, two cant hooks sure makes it nice.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

FurnDoc

Tom, Red, Dan; Thanks for the advice- it's reassuring to know this can be done.  I have cant hook on order and should be ready to mill in about a week.  Thanks-FurnDoc

beenthere

For moving up a notch from just a good logritetm cant hook or peavy, there are portable winch systems that can be packed into the woods. Good for leaners, getting logs up hill, and across difficult terrain.

See a previous thread here, portable winch
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!