iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sittin on the dock-a-the.....

Started by Tom, April 30, 2006, 08:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Mark is a young fellow that lives down the road.  He's a machinist and has helped me on the mill several times.

He came by  today and wanted to go fishing on my dock.  Then ask if I wanted to go tpo. "I have the four wheel dive". :D

We got there about 3 and got home about 7.

I know that everybody has heard that size matters.  But, believe me, it isn't everything.  We ended up with 15 fish. Stump knockers, red breast, blue gill and 2 black bass.  I got a good run off of a big Gar fish that got my attention and stripped line against the drag for a couple of good runs before throwing the hook.

What a great day.  We sat on my dock in a whistling  wind, watched the tide go out  from a dead high, watched a hawk catch mullet in the creek about 100 feet from us and heard something big get up near the dock, in the marsh and trudge away through the flooded marsh grass toward the high ground to the west .

We have no idea what it was, but it sure got our attention.  I figure it might have been a big hog, but it might have also been a black bear.  We never saw it.

Twice, on the other side of the creek, something got eaten by a big fish that struck so hard he sent water way up on the bank.  I figure it must've been a big Red Bass.  It could have been a  big black bass but, if so, he must've been huge one.  :) 8) :) :)

woodbowl

That's a fine mess of fish Tom. Stump knockers are kinda hard to find around here untill the creek gets low. I was hoping you would have a warmouth or two in the bunch. With all those bushes shakin' you may need to take a gun next time.  I'm still wondering if you ate fish for supper.  :D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Tom

Nope, no supper.

Both wives said "No fish!"

We cleaned them and he took them home to put in the freezer.  We figure that we'll get another mess and He and I will have a fish fry in the back yard, Just him and me. We'll show'em!

Jeff

I aint caught that many fish combined in the last 3 years!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodbowl

My son and me went out in the boat, night before last with another friend under the tyndall AFB bridge in Panama City. I took my Coleman stove, meal, cooking oil, taters, salt. (we forgot the salt one time but not this time) Usually we catch more Whiting than we can eat, but we forgot to check the tide and when we got there it was low and still. We launched anyway and figured the most we would get is a boat ride. Nothing would bite so I decided to peel taters and heat up the grease. About the time I had the fries ready, my friend hung into a big something or other. When he finally got it to the boat it was a sail fin cat fish. He said, lets skin em'. Most people don't eat salt water cat fish, but I don't know why. That was some of the best tasting fish I've ever had. Maybe it was because we were out on the boat, or because we cooked it fresh, or because we were starving and it went good with taters.
   A time before that, we bought some squid and shrimp for bait. We only caught a few whiting so we cooked the bait too and had an on board buffet.   ;D  ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Buzz-sawyer

Woodbowl,
Eating out onthe water like that, or eating a fresh tenderloin of a deer ya just shot in the woods....ALWAYS tastes better 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

SwampDonkey

We started thinning today next to the Guiziquit stream and one of the boys said he's bring'n the pole tommorrow.  ::)

That's a nice string of fish Tom. I don't know those species though. I do know what bass is, never ate it.  All I've ever eaten from our waterways was Atlantic Salmon and brook trout. Haven't fished in ages.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crtreedude

Well, here I always thought that SwampDonkey was a good ole boy like us - know he goes ahead and tells us he only fishes for the fancy fish. Just shows you that you never know... I bet he only uses dry flies.
::) ::)

Tom, doesn't bass taste like chicken?  ;D

So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

I gotta cook them wives  that said 'no fish' some salmon some day.  :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

UNCLEBUCK

Good fishin Tom  ;D  sounds like active waters !  I think I like that eating the bait thing like woodbowl does  8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Bro. Noble

Well,  that eatin' the bait thing might be fine ----as long as you aren't fishin' for catfish :o :o ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Paschale

MMMM....there's no better eatin' fish than a freshly caught bluegill, in my opinion.   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

crtreedude

Perch! Big Perch, caught through the ice. Getting hungry just thinking about it...

Not enough to make me come up North during the winter though.  ;)

isawlogs

Whitefish , through the ice , deep fried with taters , that is good eating .  :) smiley_chef_hat
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Michigan Mike

I agree with Paschale bluegill best tasting fish ever. I like trout and salmon I like  white fish smoked or batter fried I like most fish but nothing beats blugills.

SwampDonkey

I like herring too, boiled on top of taters. It's quite bony fish, but good and has them good oils like salmon. ;D Can't seem to buy fresh herring any more around here. Gotta get them canned as young sardines.  ::)

woodbowl

I don't know what to think about salmon. My taste buds don't get along with it at all. It doesn't taste like fish to me.  It taste like iodine or something. Yuk !  So does tuna, but I can eat it once in a while. I worked on a crab boat in the Bearing Sea back in my knuckle head days and we caught salmon, king crab, hearing ect. I thought the cook messed the salmon up some way so I didn't think too much about it then.
   Then a couple of years ago a friend of mine raved so much about the grilled salmon at the long horn steak house that I decided to try it again. I couldn't wait to go out to eat cause he made it sound so good. I took my wife out on a date and headed to longhorns. I ordered the grilled salmon and she ordered a steak and taters. It smelled real good, but when I took that first bite .................... iodine!   I've never been so disapointed in a piece of meat. On top of that, salmon is high dollar down here in Florida. My wife felt sorry for me and offered to trade with me. It was a good trade.  ;D
    Does everyone except me just love the taste of salmon or do some other folks taste that twang that I'm talking about?

Woodcarver

My wife has a similar reaction to trout.  She just doesn't like the flavor.  Salmon is OK with her.  I think the two tast a little alike.  Go figure.  ??? 
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

UNCLEBUCK

I think you were on the Bering Sea too long woodbowl  :D  From the tv show of worlds deadliest jobs it looks like it would be hard to keep down any food at all in that rough sea . What a exciting job !  I do panfish and potatoes or as I now call it "specks and taters"  . Catch them in the swamp here year round .  Come on up sometime and hear me do my Roland Martin impersonation . Stay in da shack !  8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

SwampDonkey

Woodbowl, you can't compare our fresh atlantic to canned salmon, nor with those fish farm raised stuff. When we were angling on the rivers we could tell how fresh the salmon were on the Saint John because of the sea lice on their back. The sea lice die in a matter of a few hours in fresh water. And also, if we caught any farm raised or fisheries raised salmon we tossed them back. They tasted like mud. That's one of the reasons I don't eat that market salmon, and also the fact that they have to inject or submerge the meat in a pink die to turn the grey flesh pink. You can tell when salmon is dyed, it comes out in the oil in the fry pan. That ain't fit to eat. Wild atlantic is naturally pink as well as mature brook trout. You can catch those land locked atlantics, but I wouldn't eat one of them either.  You can fish some sections of the Miramichi or Restigouche in some sections with a guide (non residents) for the good atlantics, or pay big bucks to fish on private or leased water. Or us New Brunswickers can have a special license on a lottery to fish stretches of crown reserved waters on the Restigouche or Miramichi river drainage. There are several arteries of those rivers. :) Quebec and Newfoundland have some really excellent atlantic salmon fishing too. My favorite crown reserve is the Upsulquitch in NB, which feeds into the Restigouche. It's remote and the water is clear and cold like tap water if we have a summer with lots of water. The watershed is kind of messed up after logging 15 + years ago, but it will come back eventually. They have roads in there now, but I knew folks that used to pole in there by canoe in the 50's. It's a fast river with alot of 90 deg turns and deep holes.

Bro. Noble

We have a low place in a bottom field that gets full of carp when the river gets out of it's banks.  A friend gave me about a half dozen ways to fix carp guaranteeing us that it would taste just like salmon.

We seigned out a bunch of those DanG carp and pressure cooked some,  smoked some,  cooked some about anyway you can imagine-----they all tasted like carp >:(

Wife bought some salmon in the grocery store some time later--------tasted like carp ::)

My friend was right after all :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

Woodbowl, I bet that salmon you had was grilled on one of them cedar planks.  I don't know why people like that.  Makes it taste like its been marinated in gasoline. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

crtreedude

My theory on Salmon was it used to taste good until someone figured out it was good for you. Now it tastes like Spinach...  ::)

Norm

I don't care for salmon either, I've gone out on the charters and eaten it the next day, still isn't my favorite. Now on the same trips we'd catch sea bass, that's good eating.

One spring I was out fishing Truman Lake, caught one nice walleye. Stuck it in the live well brought it back to camp and filet'd it out. Boy was it ever tasty. We've finally started to get some size to the bluegills in our pond we stocked a couple of years ago. They are so thick I think we'll need to have a big fry to thin them out with. Going to have to get a new electric knife to do the cleaning work with first.

thurlow

Bro. Noble........what's your take on buffalo?  Some folks lump'em in with carp, but to us true conasewers 8), you can't get much higher on the food chain than a good razorback, rooter,  or gourdhead.  Actually, I can't tell one buffalo from another, but some folks swear one kind is better than others.........
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Thank You Sponsors!