iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

? for DH owners

Started by Dugsaws, April 30, 2006, 01:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dugsaws

If a DH unit will only pull a load down to a certian percentage moisture, is it possible that that the unit might ned charged?

I have a Nyle L 200 and the last couple of loads that I have dried it seems that no matter the temp or the lenght of time at any temp it will onlt pull the load down to 14 percent the last load was all oak and the current load is a mixed load, with walnut, oak , pine, and linden, the temp has been at 120 for a week,with the compressor at 100%, while  the walnut and linden has been in the chamber for 3 weeks at 85 degrees with the compressor at 55% and, after a week the moisture is only at 14%.

Now that I have basicilly described the situation, the question is, could the gas in the unit need to be checked and possibly charged?

Any help would be greatly appricated.

Thanks
           Doug
Doug

Dugsaws

One more point, the oak and pine that is currently in there has been air dried, the oak for a year and the pine for 6 months so im sure that the moisture is down from that, not causing it to dry.
Doug

Don_Lewis

sounds like something is not right. make sure your meter is okay and you are correcting for temperature. Seems like the lumber should have been about 14% going in. Check the water flow rate out the drain.

Anyway, don't hesitate to call Nyle for support

HORSELOGGER

I used to get that same sort of problem with airdried stuff, especially white oak wanting to park at around 12 percent and be real stubborn to give up the rest, And i posted about it and was given a great pointer by member Brian Bailey... Shut the percentage timer down to 0, then run the temp up to 135 -140 , in otherwords , move to the sterilization phase, and hold the high temp for 24 hours. Let the temp fall back into the 120 degree range and set the timer for 100 percent and suck that last little bit out. Sometimes ya just need to bump the temp to get the water moving again.
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Den Socling

I believe that air drying can shrink and harden the outer cells enough to lock bound water in the core. It takes a lot of thermal energy to get those last water molecules bouncing around hard enough to break free and find a way out. Lowering humidity with a DH unit doesn't cut it. That's why you need the procedure mentioned by horselogger. Also, as you probably know, with MC this low, the wood is in no danger.

Dugsaws

I called Nyle on Monday and did some things they recommended that I try and it seems that it is worst case senario, think that it needs charged with gas and there is a nicre charge in there hate to pull it all out to fix this but  looks like the only solution
Doug

oakiemac

This probably isn't the cause of your problem, but I can't imagine putting oak and pine in the same load. One is a real fast drying wood and the other a real slow.
If I run Oak then I try to put only oak in that load.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Thank You Sponsors!