iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

power steering pump

Started by getoverit, April 29, 2006, 01:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgreen

-He eats frog legs too..  ;D

When one unit follows another, or is controlled by another it's the slave.  Sheeple..  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

woodbowl

Quote from: highpockets on May 04, 2006, 07:23:13 AM
Remember is am a Louisiana Redneck so take it with a grain of salt. 

I'll remember that HP. I'll take mine with 6 LBS of cajun boiled crawfish and corn and new taters on the side.  ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

highpockets

The frog legs were very good but the rabbit the week before was tough.  I told them to par boil it.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

jpgreen

Did they remember to par skin it?....  ???   ;D

getoverit

well, I got the power steering pump today... supposed to be around 2000 PSI, but I'm not sure of the GPM it produces. I'll try it out and see how it does.

Next question:

does anybody know if it will make any difference if the pump is mounted with the pulley in the horizontal position instead of the vertical position it runs on cars?
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Tom

If it does, put a half twist in the belt and use a longer belt.

scsmith42

All of the ones that I've seen had to be run horizontal, because the case was the tank and the pickup was on the bottom.  Also, they did not have a significant thrust bearing on them for vertical operation.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

getoverit

This particular pump uses an external tank, so it is just the pump. I can mount the tank anywhere.

scsmith42

Does the line from the tank go directly into the cast iron pump housing, or is there some type of metal housing around the actual cast iron pump?

You may be able to mount this vertically, but I confess that I've never seen a hydraulic pump mounted vertical (not saying that it isn't done though).  I would be concerned about the gears trapping air as usually the inlet and outlets to the pump chamber are mounted above/below, or at the back on the top side so as to allow the air to escape.

I'd suggest taking it apart and seeing where the actual ports into the gear chamber are, and mounting it so that they are positioned to allow air to escape.

Good luck!  Scott

getoverit

It goes directly into the pump housing. When it is mounted normally, the intake is on the top and the fluid out is located on the side. I'm still learning about these things and I'm not quite sure how one regulates the return if there is no need for the power. Perhaps a flow thru valve? I've got a 10 gallon round steel tank that I will be using for the tank, so there should be plenty of fluid for what ever I need. It would just be easier if it can be mounted in the vertical position.

scsmith42

Re vertical, try it and see.

You will need some type of bypass valve to allow the fluid to circulate when it's not being used to pump, or some type of electric clutch to only turn the pump on when you're activating the hydraulics.  northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company and Surplus Center are two good locations to shop at.

Flurida_BlackCreek

You'll need open center/neutral valve(s).
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

highpockets

Getoverit, I been about half reading this thread for several days.   As I mentioned above I have used power steering pumps before.   The one in my photo, I think came from a 1965 Ford car.  I removed the tank which I believe was a kind of add (bolted on) top of the pump.  I built a flange for the two lines and mounted an old briggs gas tank above for the reservoir.  This type of pump was one that was exposed and not covered by the reservoir.  I think you'd be much better with this kind of pump.  I had to replace the pump on my winch truck which runs a 3208 Cat. The salvage wanted some $350.00 for a used one. A friend of mine found me a pump off either an International or a big Chev truck.  These work rather well for what you are doing. 

Not to discourage you as I am truly a junk yard junky, but what I read, and assuming you are going to build log clamps, a turner, etc., the pump is a minor investment in the total cost.  You can get a new pump for some $100.00 or so.  The spools, hydraulic hoses, fittings, motors, are going to be the biggy.  I'd probably be looking at some kind of tractor salvage, old farms where equipment is junked out in the grass.  Combines, cotton pickers, spray rigs, etc have some nice hydraulics on them.  Just my two cents worth.

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Trent

Highpockets, If you could have just one hydraulic feature to aid in your operation, what would it be?     Trent
Can't fish, can't hunt, don't care about sports. Love to build, machine, fabricate.      Trent Williams

jpgreen

Quote from: Trent on May 06, 2006, 08:40:30 AM
Highpockets, If you could have just one hydraulic feature to aid in your operation, what would it be?     Trent

-his old dog..  ;D

highpockets

Trent, as old as I am I think I'd have a gin and tonic as the hydraulics.   :D

That is a hard call.  Probably the sawfeed.  I have 8 circuits now and would like 2 more. 

JP, Zeus is asking when you are coming.  He gets tired of barking at the same people. 

Louisiana Country boy

gary

I need to test some  cylinders. Would I be able to hook a power steerig pump to an electric motor then  attach a line to the cylinder? I just want to see if they  work or not.

highpockets

Gary, you can but you need a valve to control the flow.  I'd use compressed air first just to see if their are stuck. 
Louisiana Country boy

woodbowl

GOE, I'm still waiting for your test results about whether a power steering pump could drive another power steering pump.  ::)  ::)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

getoverit

I have one power steering pump on hand, and now have the lawn mower completely disassembled. I'm working on mounting the 12hp briggs onto the bed of the sawmill and then will begin adding components. It sure would be nice to be able to use another PS pump for a drive unit. if I can get my hands on another one, I'll test this first.  In the mean time, I have found a couple of hydraulic motors on ebay that I have bid on (dirt cheap :) ).

Looks like I may be going over to your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks. I could use some hydraulic cylinders for the log lifter and the log turner and I need a control valve also. Maybe Mr. Hootie has some real bargains on these types of things?

Next week I am going on a well needed vacation to Mexico, so I'll be out of touch for that period.

woodbowl

Give me a little notice when you plan to come through and we'll ruffle DanG out of the shade and we'll all head over to Mr. Hooties.  8)

gary

Highpockets  The only thing I know about hydrulics is move this lever and it does this.  Are you saying that if they move and don't leak they  should be good.  I am taking these off of some big dies. They all have oil in them when i take them off.   

Timburr

Quote from: woodbowl on May 10, 2006, 09:04:15 AM
GOE, I'm still waiting for your test results about whether a power steering pump could drive another power steering pump.  ::)  ::)

Just a pointer when transforming hydraulic pumps into motors.....single direction only is possible. If dual direction is attempted, you'll blow out your drive shaft seals. This is due to the configeration of the internal seals between the high / low pressure sides of the pump, the method of bearing lube and the lack of internal check valves across the high / low pressures.

However, a motor to a pump is a doddle.

Tim
Sense is not common

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Timburr

Sorry beenthere....British colloquial

Doddle....easy one, low on problems.
Sense is not common

Thank You Sponsors!