iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Low Pro

Started by Kevin, May 24, 2001, 05:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Which low profile chain are you using to mill lumber and has it been reground to form scoring and clearing cutters?

TexasTimbers

Kevin, I have been reading my newly acquired "Chainsaw Lumber Making" by Will Malloff. This book is awesome, and even if it is a little dated, most of the info still applies. And that's good too because I had to pay out the wazoo for this out of print used book.

There is a whole chapter dedicated to ripping chain. While I am digesting it all I went ahead and ordered some ripping chain from Bailey's but if I get into a lot of chainsaw milling this book will be invaluable.

What did you end up doing ???
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Kevin

I've been waiting for someone to answer that, thanks!  :D

I use stock Oregon ripping chain, full skip.

TexasTimbers

I got to it as fast as I could. ;)

I don't know if I ended up with Oregon or Woodsman Pro. I got rather confused with the lady on the phone. She knew her stuff and was downloading information to help educate me, at my request, but she was so knowledgable it was coming faster than I could process it. I'd rather have it that way than someone who didn't know any more than me it would be the blind leading the blind. :)

CALSAW

That's the book that got me in all this trouble! ;D
I made my first mill out of 2x framing scraps and all-thread.
For a rip chain I hand filed .375 full comp to Mallof's specs. That mill worked pretty good too, especially when you factor in the cost. :)  I think that I cut about 2000 bft with it before I got sick of the noise, fumes, and dust in the face.

Matt

Like this
Lucas 827 w/ slabber

TexasTimbers

Matt, how long ago did you get his book? And when did you finally decide to step out of the chainsaw mill and into that Lucas? Was there something in between the two?

I scanned your past posts - cutting up those big redwoods must be exhilirating.

CALSAW

Hi kevjay, I got that book on e-bay about five years ago. The csm in the picture is actually about version three, the last before the Lucas. That log in the picture was a windfall redwood, and the reason I bought the swinger. We had moved onto a 30 acre ranch, about 20 acres of real nice 2nd growth, and the owner said I could take a wack at the tree on the ground. After she saw the csm working, and the clear 8/4 slabs I was making she asked if I would cut some material to repair an old barn on the property. So I did.   Then people saw the slabs and loved them. Seemed like everyone had logs they wanted me to cut, but I didn't really relish the idea of pushing that csm anymore. Then I started lurking on this forum :) and that was it, next thing I knew I bought the last 8/27 Baileys had, their demo model ( thanks Sam!). I took a big leap, more than I should have, time will tell.

Yea, cutting those big redwoods was pretty cool, that was only my third custom sawing job!!

Matt
Lucas 827 w/ slabber

TexasTimbers

That's a cool story. I bet you'll do well with it. Good luck and thanks for the brief bio. I like to read them.

Dan_Shade

that book has a lot of good "out of the box" thinking in it.  Mr. Malloff is using a bit of a different gadget these days.  I wish he were a member here!

I'd like to see a reprint, my wallet is still hurting after what I paid for my copy, but I have to say it's worth every penny.

on a good note, *a lot* of good information from the book is directly reprinted in Wood and How to Dry It (Fine Woodworking)

Link to Mr. Malloff's website:  http://www.willmalloff.com/index.html
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

TexasTimbers

Yeah I perused his website couple days ago after I did a google seach oin him to make sure he was still with us. Not only that, but going strong!

I waited for a long time on the Amazon Wish List, and finally found a copy elsewjhere and paid just shy of $60 if memory serves. Whew. But as you say. Glad I did.

leweee

Thanks Dan for the link. 8)

Good to see the090 still Gitten- R-Done. 8)

(Loud Chainsaw nioses followed by clouds of 2 stroke oil & fumes)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

TexasTimbers

I like his website. It's like him; simple. Down to earth. No pretences.

But tell me fellas, other than the look, what do you not find on his site that you find on virtually any other website ???
Attaboy to anyone who guesses to what I'm referring. :)

CALSAW

Thanks for the link, I am glad he's still around, and still inventing.
Lucas 827 w/ slabber

Dan_Shade

there's no email address or phone number ;)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

D Martin

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Dan_Shade on March 31, 2007, 12:38:32 PM
there's no email address . . . .
ATTABOY!

If you want to ask him a question you gotta use snail mail.
A man like that ain't got time for no steenking computer. :)

rebocardo

> Which low profile chain are you using to mill lumber and has it been
> reground to form scoring and clearing cutters?

I used both low profile and reg full comp (72v amoung others) and followed various instructions including from Granberg.

I did the left, the right, the zero, the 15, the ten, ten left, zero right, ten ten right etc. All the "magic"  combos.

Very easy to turn a nice cutting chain into a pound of worthless junk  :D

For me the biggest problem was not getting the rakers right, I never got them spot on, none of the raker tools I have seen work with full skip, and I gave up on the straight edge and feeler gauges.

I can say, the safety type chains make the worse conversions because on some of them there is no way to properly take down the rakers. Then I was researching chains on the Internet trying to find out more and then find an internal memo from a saw OEM saying basically the same thing. You can't take down rakers on safety chain and have good performance. Then they mention taking down the rakers on safety chain makes it the same or MORE prone to kickback then their Pro chain after the same amount (six-eight) of sharpenings. Go figure.

So, I admitted I didn't have the patience nor tools for the rakers, bought the low profile ripping from Baileys, use a grinder instead of the hand file (which comes no where close to hand sharp), and toss the chain after six or so  sharpenings. I keep the ripping low pro from Baileys a little longer sometimes.

TexasTimbers

Thanks rebocardo, I think you just saved me alot of time tinkering. I do have a 25' reel of chain coming from Bailey's and have a grinder so I guess I am gonna take the easy and quick way out for now myself. I simply don't have time to learn and experiment.

solodan

kevjay,

The ripping chain from Bailey's is good, I've been buying it for a few years now and have always been happy with it. I think it is better than trying to regrind a chain to a lower angle. It leaves a nice finish.

Matt, I lived in Occidental for a short time almost 20 years ago, it is a real nice place. Do you have the slabbing attachment for your 827? I have an 827 also,but I usually just pull out the Alaskan 1/2 way through a log if I want to cut some slabs. I have a 3120 so I can cut a pretty wide slab in a short time with no set up, but I may have an opportunity to cut alot of slabs for a customer and was thinking about the slabbing attachment.

CALSAW

Dan, I do have the slabbing attachment. Having used the slabber and the Alaskan I would say that if you are going to be cutting over 36" it is probably worth it. I was suprised how slow it was, but it is relaxing compared to the Alaskan. Are you going to use it for hard or soft woods? I have used mine only in redwood and maple, the redwood was pretty easy for a 48"+/- cut, the maple was dry and the chain bounced around alot, not many teeth on the Lucas chain. 7 skip I think. I'm sure your 3120 has more pull than my (89!) 394 so its hard to say for sure. Why don't you come back down and try my slabber.
BTW, I saw you are getting a Cal. LTO, I would like to know more about that.
Lucas 827 w/ slabber

TexasTimbers

I think they sent me the wrong chain. I have never seen ripping chain but this stuff looks exactly like my regular crosscutting chain, angles and all.  Can you tell? Sound like a broken record but sorry for the sorry pics.

Does anyone have any closeups of ripping chain they can post for me?

solodan

kevjay,

Do you have a sharpening gauge? what are the angles? I think the ripping chain is filed at 10° and 15° or something like that, but that chain in the pic appears to be around 35° like a regular chain, maybe it is just the pic though. :-\ I would snap a pic for ya but I can't seem to find my camera. :(

Matt,

I would love to come down and check out  the slabber. 8) :)
Do you have any wide slabs in stock right now? cause I am lookin for a 46"- 48" x 7'x 3" I had a big cedar I thought was going to do it for me but it was way too pecky. We still have plenty of pines and cedar that size around here, just not when ya need them. :D
How much do you know about the LTO? Do they hassle you guys around there about removing logs and lumber? I will pm ya the link for the upcoming classes. :)

MikeH

This is a full chisel chain I got with 36" bar, dont know if you call it a ripping chain but it rips like a bat out of heck. I use a flat file to sharpen.

Thank You Sponsors!