iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

poplar lap siding

Started by twobears, April 26, 2006, 08:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twobears

guys;i,ve looked the forum over quite alittle and i see theres alot of info on lap siding.
i have a question tho.. is poplar/aspen really a good wood for making lap siding??? by,the posts i read it seems alot of folks use it but my experience with poplar is this..it,s a great underrated wood for inside use but it rots fast if left in the weather.
i plan on building a house with lap siding and i can get poplar logs dirt cheap so,if its good for siding i,de use it..

delbert

Dale Hatfield

Nothing Wrong With Poplar lap siding .
I have seen a few farm buildings that were sided with big tooth aspen.
With a House having a overhang and a gutter system. The  walls wont stay wet. Just leave  a space above ground level and or landscape area.

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

BBK

The three houses we have on the farm, 2 built in the 1940's and grandma's, built in 1856 all have Tulip "yellow" Poplar siding.
All have weathered well with proper maintenance.
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

UNCLEBUCK

I replaced one pole in my 25 year old sawshed about 20 years ago and I put a green fresh off the mill poplar pole in the ground and a few days ago I bumped it with the loader and it was rotten from where it enters the ground , the rest of it above ground and exposed to the weather is just fine .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Thank You Sponsors!