Sponsors:

Abandoned Homesteads

Started by Ron Scott, April 26, 2006, 06:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

U.P. Homestead. In Chet's neighborhood.

~Ron

crtreedude

Ron, you aren't saying they abandoned it because they were Chet's neighbors are you...  :o
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Ron Scott

Don't know. I'm waiting to see if Chet knows the story here. ;)

~Ron

beenthere

The roof leaked.  ::)

Have ctate stop by and 'fix' it.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

good looking spread, Chet.  I didn't know you had built a new house.  The skylight is a good touch.  I'll bet the Waxlady made you put that in there. :)

Jeff

Here are a couple more old U.P. homesteads from the eastern end of the U.P. within a a couple miles of the cabin

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

slowzuki

Love this thread, I've always been facinated by the history behind the abandonment of homes.  We have several around our area, some really nice old homes that have escaped the vandals match for 20 or 30 years.  Some are starting to lose their roofs now though and its a quick trip down hill after that.

There is one old homestead about 7 kms out in the woods from where I live.  The family cleared 40 acres in the late 1800's, had a nice house, a barn, outbuildings etc.  Built a small sawmill and sold lumber etc.  Sometime around 1930 it was abandoned and the woods is completely grown up through it now.  My neighbour had a picture of the 15 or so people in the family the lived there sitting in front of the house with that typical stern period look on their face.

The other interesting place was out behind on of my best friends a black family lived back in the woods as squatters.  They didn't use all 600 acres they owned so it was never a problem.  I never learned the reason they left but their cleared patch of land still showed in 1960's aerial photos.  No traces now.

Last interesting place, a company has recently clearcut about 900 acres behind my property and we were exploring a bit on the 4 wheeler.  I was trying to find our old hunting camp we used to snowmobile out to.  Well, being a bit turned around I spotted a pitched roof in the buffer zone along a stream.  We hiked back through the slash to find a half collapsed camp that didn't look so old.  Got asking around and it was a logging camp that was lived in by 12 guys the winter of 1952.  I knew 3 of the guys that lived in it that winter but have passed away now.

I will try to get some pics!

chet

Boy oh boy Ron yer testin' me now.  :D  Is dat da place on da corner of Lake Ottawa and Hanmer Roads.  ???   Sure does look familiar.   :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Chet we've been by that before I am sure.

crtreedude

One of the things that makes living in Costa Rica weird is that the area we are in is young - like only 30 to 40 years ago - it was completely jungle.

Around 1900, Arenal really blew up they say according to a book I have - but no one knew - no one was here.

So, there are no abandoned homes here that I have ever seen. When they talk about things being old - usually they are talking about people!

Ron Scott

Chet,

Another view of the UP Homestead.

I believe its in the SW/4 Section 11, T43N-R35W. Iron River No.2 Township on the north side of the Iron Lake Road. Maybe the Grey or Sheehy property??

~Ron

Tom

That's metal detector fodder.  I love to get jobs where situations like this exist on the property.  There's all kinds of neat stuff, if you know where to look.  Usually I give the stuff to the owners.  Sometimes they allow me to keep it.    It's not gold, but it's treasure just the same.  :)

jph

Very few abandoned buildings here in the UK . They have all been bought up and modernised.
Here is one very close to our woods in Wales, I would have loved to have bought it to renovate but the asking price is way out of my price range. £200,000 for the building with very little land and no services. Even doing most of the work ourselves I think it would need another £150,000 spent on it.

John

chet

Ron, I was hopin' I beat ya before ya posted again. It dawned on me this mornin'  ;D  Dats da old Donati homestead, at least dats what I've known it as.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

SwampDonkey

Yeah, we had 3 old homesteads on the farm dad aquired years ago. Arsons burnt them all down, then later we cleaned up the rest of the structures to farm the fields. My uncle bought a farm a few years ago and moved part of the house in the 80's by tractors. Then someone lit a match to the rest of the place. It seems if your not watching these places some goof that has nothing or nothing to do with his life comes along and lights it afire. People are quick to blame kids, then later it comes out that it was a bunch of guys in their 30's and 40's doing the arson.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Chet, I believe you're right, but now owned by others??
~Ron

slowzuki

Yup in a place near here the 30-40 yo men would get drinking and causing trouble every halloween.  They got in the habit of burning down the local covered bridge.  Well, after the 3rd time the gov decided hey, guess what we're not gonna rebuild it :D :D

A nice house across the river from us has escaped the wrath of vandals somehow, it is about 3 km from the nearest highway but vandals have broken in during hunting seasons and winter via snowmobile.  I used to go over and put the bracing back up and close up the doors every so often.  Someone shot out the french doors though and animals got inside.  The owner did patch the roof once a few years ago so hopefully it will stand for years to come!

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 28, 2006, 07:28:45 PM
Yeah, we had 3 old homesteads on the farm dad aquired years ago. Arsons burnt them all down, then later we cleaned up the rest of the structures to farm the fields. My uncle bought a farm a few years ago and moved part of the house in the 80's by tractors. Then someone lit a match to the rest of the place. It seems if your not watching these places some goof that has nothing or nothing to do with his life comes along and lights it afire. People are quick to blame kids, then later it comes out that it was a bunch of guys in their 30's and 40's doing the arson.

Tom

And some folks still don't understand why the public shouldn't be given Carte Blanche to trespass.

chet

Jeff and I found this little gem last summer in our travels of da UP. We thought it was purdy cool.  :)

Guess it reminded us of some udder place.  ;D

Jeff

I'll take da one that comes wif da blond...

SwampDonkey

slowzuki, they've burnt a couple covered bridges here in the last 20 years. They like building bomb fires out of old tires on the deck.  Typical no nothing low lifes, look what they've done to the pic nic sites, the government finally gave up on. Bring in a new picnic table or set up and outhouse and they'll tear it down, typical for NB. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Back in the days of the wayside parks, Florida used to advertise "Free Picnic Tables" so people would know that the park was ahead.

I think it was a record that Deacon Andy Griffith made that described his trip through Florida to Nausea (Nassau).  He was describing the tables and said that they stopped and were going to get one but they were too heavy, being concrete.   They decided that they would get one on the way back.

The title of story was "Number one street", which equated to the highway, US-!.

I know.  It doesn't have anything to do with  burning bridges, but, this is just what came to mind.  :)

crtreedude

One of the pleasant surprises here has been the rest rooms. No, they aren't particularly nice - but there is no rude remarks scrawled on the walls.

Except in the tourist areas.  >:(

If those Abandoned homesteads where here - someone would be living in them!

asy

You know, whenever I see an old abandoned house like these, I always wish I could time warp back to the first owner of the house walking in on their first day.

No matter how small or unseemley the house is now, once it was someone's palace.

I try to imagine what the first woman who walked in as 'lady of the house' was feeling. How proud she must have been.

And I look at the size of the house and think, however did someone bring up 4 or 5 children in THAT? But then I remember that 'back then' kids didn't play in the house, they didn't need room for their stuff (coz they didn't have any) and they just used their rooms to sleep.

Yup, old fall-y down-y houses fascinate me.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

sawguy21

I hear ya asy. I see an old farmstead in some remote seemingly unhospitable place and I wonder about the people who were tough enough to make it work. Same with the little church miles from nowhere. The stories would be fascinating.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!