iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone ever built a wood fired brick oven in their backyard?

Started by Paschale, April 26, 2006, 04:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

I'm thinking I'd like to build one in the next few years, and just did a google search.  Saw there was a cool place, called North House Folk School, which has a class on making a brick bread oven.  Here's an article about the school and the class.  I may see if they still have some openings in that class, and drive up to Minnesota for three days, then do a circle tour of Lake Superior.   8)  Thinking about it, anyway. 

Has anyone made their own already though?
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Ernie_Edwards

Haven't done it yet but have read about it and it seems very interesting. The one we looked at had you build a fire in it which heated the walls of the oven, then the fire went out and the dough placed in the oven for baking from the retained heat of the walls. Someday.

Have you contacted Tillers International in Scotts Mi? They have a pretty diverse course offering that appeals to those interested in some of the more basic ways of doing things. At least they are closer to you  and possibly worth a look.

Good luck.

Ernie

isawlogs

Like one of these   

built this one 20 years ago or maybe a bit more  , it is clay and straw mixed together for the oven , I made a frame of alder , wiving weaving it together to hold the clay straw mix , its in need of TLC but still works fine . Best bread I ever ate came out of that oven .

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Paschale

Hey Marcel, yup, just like that!   8)

I've been snooping online, and they mention the Quebec dome oven--yours is a prime example!  Cool!  I'm getting all fired up thinking about it.  Are they pretty common in Quebec?

Ernie, thanks for the idea on the Tillers International--I'm going to check them out.

I found a pretty cool link to a bunch of sites featuring guys who built their own.

amberwood

Built one a couple of years ago, mainly for pizza etc but makes excellent bread as well. I went for a brick style with an inner refractory brick oven and an outer clay brick shell. There is an airgap just like a doublebrick house. If you are interested I can get some pictures up overnight.
As long as you have some basic bricklaying skills it should only take 5-10 hours to build spread over a few sessions.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

isawlogs

They are more commun then one can think , as they are normally built behind the house . ya almost have to be in the back yard to see them . I did go see quite a bunch before doing this one .. but to me they where almost all the same . Only the doors where diffirent from one to another , mine has 1/4" plate doors , 1"plate door jam and 1/2"plate door stopper . the bottom of the oven ( not the rock part ) is 4 inches of ciment with rebar , the beaver back is clay and straw . There is a four inch hole at the top back of oven for the smoke to escape .
  They are good looking and a functional oven to have . 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

jrokusek

You probably can't make bread in here but I have made some excellent BBQ, pizza, smoked hot links, cooked pineapple slices and a few other things.  If you want to use your slabs from your sawmill this may be a good place to use them.  This beast has a healthy appetite for wood.  

Tom

Welcome to the forum, Amberwood.   Bunch of nuts here, aren't there.  :D :D

Why is it that all the old timey ways of doing things make the best food?  They can put all kinds of computers on electric ovens and a fire cooked meal still tastes better.

amberwood

Tom..its an intersting forum. It just makes you aware of all the toys out there that you have yet to buy or build!

Sometimes the simplest(oldest/original) method is the best. Pizza from a wood oven is so much better than the alternatives. The downside is the 3 hr heat up time!!

I have just finished building a small bandmill, 500mm*2.4m capacity-10hp diesel/3ph electric. Very satisfying turning a pile of cants cut with a chainsaw mill last year into useable sizes.

Duncan
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jrokusek

Quote from: thecfarm on April 26, 2006, 08:37:47 PM
Hey jrokusek,HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU

How the heck did you know that?? ???   Makes me wonder if I'm being watched  :D

Jim

Tom

well, get out your camera, amberwood.   We'll be wanting to see your mill too.  :D

Don_Papenburg

Mine is just about done .  Used a mix of Allen Scott plans and some of my own .  The winter moved in before I could finnish brick work . should finnish this summer .  I have fired it a few times durring the winter . Got it up to 700 degrees and it was still at 150   20 hrs later . I still have not got it completely insulated.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

sawguy21

jrokusek, I have seen a number of home workshops heated with setups similar to yours. Cheap, easy to build and put out a lot of heat. Tom, somehow, somewhere, this thread had to turn to food :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Paschale

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on April 27, 2006, 12:25:16 AM
Mine is just about done .  Used a mix of Allen Scott plans and some of my own .  The winter moved in before I could finnish brick work . should finnish this summer .  I have fired it a few times durring the winter . Got it up to 700 degrees and it was still at 150   20 hrs later . I still have not got it completely insulated.

That's very cool.  Allen Scott is the guy teaching the class up in Minnesota--I hope it works out for me to go!  Did you bake anything in it when you fired her up?  Where'd you get the plans, by the way?

Don_Papenburg

Paschale, I sent you some pictures of mine ,  If you can or want you can post them here.
I ordered the plans from allen  at Ovencrafters .   and I used bits and pieces from the internet and out of books.
I did not bake any thing as I was just drying it . built small fires and then kept getting them hotter .

thecfarm

I have my secrets jrokusek  ;D ;D ;D ;D This is almost as much fun as Jeff's What it's.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

amberwood

Tom..all

have just uplloaded some pics of mill, running but not quite finished and some of the oven during construction and finished.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Don_Papenburg

Paschale,  Did the pictures show up?   My returnes are empty.  Hope they made it .

thecfarm

Jrokusek,I wanted to learn a little bit about you.I clicked on to your user name and there was a birthday cake beside your name.That's how I knew it was your birthday.

Paschale

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on April 29, 2006, 08:13:47 PM
Paschale,  Did the pictures show up?   My returnes are empty.  Hope they made it .

Hey Don, yup, and here they are!  Check 'em out, guys.  Cool stuff.

Don, I'd enjoying seeing a broader shot maybe, to see more of the chimney and the top sometime.  Thanks for sending 'em!  They look terrific, and you'll have to report back when you christen it with baking something in there.
That's some real nice brick work! 

Don_Papenburg

Cant do that  chimney photo  because it ain't there yet ;D It got cold too soon this fall .

UNCLEBUCK

I bake a 2 pound loaf of bread every day , white,wheat,rye,pumpernickel,cornbread, you name it ! Found that cheap grade flour makes cheap bad bread ! Neighbor lady started hittin on me a few years ago and brought me a steaming hot loaf of bread so I asked how in the world did you make this bread so good and she said "bread machine" . So I kicked her off the farm and went to town and bought 2 bread machines  8)   Really like everyones pics and this looks like a addicting fun hobby .   
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

isawlogs

UB , I bought one of those bread machines , I have the WestBend , home style plus . It makes a regular loaf of bread , easy to use (  I say that because i can make bread with it  ;D ) But ...  sure dont come close to the one that is baked in the outdoor oven .  ;)

Marcel

thedeeredude

It looks rather easy to build.  The hard part for me would be learning how to cook in one. 

Thank You Sponsors!