iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Kiln, Do I Really Need One?

Started by davemartin88, April 25, 2006, 07:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davemartin88

I bought an LT15 mill last fall and have quite a bit of white and red oak air drying around my property. Everything seems to be going reasonably well so far- think I'll have some lumber ready for woodworking projects in early sumer, some of the 4/4 I cut first is down to about 15% moisture content and a few more weeks plus some time in the shop should have it ready to use.

I had originally thought I would build a solar kiln to speed the drying process but I'm cutting and drying wood for my own use and if all the wood I've cut already is usable I should be in good shape- my question is whether there is any real advantage to drying wood in a kiln other than speed, now that I have a supply of wood almost ready and will continue cutting, don't see myself running out anytime soon as I only have so much time for projects.

My impression is it doesn't really matter how the wood gets dry enough to use as long as it does. I'm reconsidering whether I need go to the trouble and expense of building a kiln so thought I'd ask for input.

Thanks in advance.

Den Socling

If you want to use your oak inside your house, you will find that you need the MC lower than it will get while sitting outside. And to make sure no bugs are chewing inside, you need to get it hotter than it will get sitting outside.

davemartin88

Killing bugs was one area I was concerned with- my shop is heated so can bring the air dryed wood in there for a few weeks to get the moisture content down to around 10% or so but that wouldn't take care of any insects.

Larry

The solar kiln will get your wood to the right MC for indoor projects.  It also will get hot enough to kill any critters in the wood.  Third thought, it is a great place to store wood to keep it bright, dirt free, and ready to use.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!