iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's wrong with this picture?

Started by woodbowl, April 24, 2006, 10:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

isawlogs

I dont know to much , but seams to me that the tree did not fall on the side it was intended to .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

Or.......  If it was intended to fall that direction then the cut was made backwards.  :D

here's someting to consider.

Unless you are cutting pulp, that swollen base doesn't make for a good board.  It is a different acting wood than the rest of the tree and boards will curl on the end.

It also makes it difficult to drop a tree directionally, because of the swell and the closeness to the ground.

If you are cutting for lumber, it's better to cut above the swell a little bit and then come back and trim the stump.  That helps in the dropping of the tree, gives you more room and makes better boards too.  :)

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Corley5

Doesn't look like it fell where it was supposed to.  If you're cutting high dollar veneer quality trees cut them as low as possible then trim the flares off the log :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

If that tree is what I think it is.......  it is a Pond Pine, a Pocosin.  The aren't worth doodley squat here in the south.  Folks still cut them for lumber but the stresses  make it difficult on the sawyer and the wood dries with many defects.

woodbowl

Luckiely, it fell sorta, kinda the way he wanted, but he makes the second cut is below the first. ..... More pics comming.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

getoverit

Doesnt look like he cut a lever in the stump.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

woodbowl

Have you ever had a customer cut a tree down next to the mill? I think I'm pretty good, but I ain't that good! It went the other way but I don't know how. He made the first cut without a wedge in the direction he wanted it to fall, then he made the back cut, but made it down below the first cut.  ::) ::)

jpgreen

Maybe he was confused as to which cut was supposed to be higher, and which one was lower?..  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

getoverit

Cutting down a tree that close to the mill had to make your pucker factor go sky high ;D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

sawguy21

Especially if it was your mill. If it was mine, the mill and I would be on the first train outta Dodge :o
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

moosehunter

Can't help but notice his safety gear :o
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

tcsmpsi

Gave the cut no direction, and the sap, down on his knees, felling a tree, ain't got no maneuverability for when the proverbial fecal matter happens, as Life's happenings tend to require from time to time. Especially when cutting trees (unseen/unknown stress within the tree, bit of wind, barometric pressure, etc.). 

Not meaning to be presumptious, but I am surprised you allowed him to cut while you and your equipment were in the fall zone.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

woodbowl

I was wondering when this was going to happen and it didn't take long. A high cut on the left, a low cut on the right, and the tree leans right over on his saw.

tcsmpsi

From the nature of the cutter, poetic justice that his cutting tool be so 'befriended' by one of those whom he failed to honor.

Reminiscent of a fellow out in AZ who was out shotgunning the old, large saguaros, when his last victim felled upon him and caused his demise.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

woodbowl

tcsmpsi, you are right. Actually, the tree that was close to the mill, had it fell in my direction would have only slapped the end boom with the top limbs. Things were safe enough, but I was still surprized at the rush to cut it down. I wanted that pic, and had already noticed the tree leaning the other way. Lucky me.  ;)

sawguy21

Fortunate that the saw was the only one damaged. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

tcsmpsi

Some have the tendency to consider me 'over careful' when cutting trees.
But, I have seen them do some mighty provocative stunts, seemingly all on their own, in the best of circumstances and the most precise cuts.

There are very, very few that I cut any more that aren't tied and helped.  Made me anxious just to see that first picture.   ;)

jpgreen

Someone needs to take his chainsaw... and his dog..  :D

jpgreen

My logger friend has been dropping trees for 25 years. He holds the most repsected reputation in our county, specially if a tree's hanging in a dangerous position over homes, etc.

He will study a decent sized tree for at least 1/2 hour.  The lean, the growth of branches and weight on either side, and where he wants to put it.  He will drop that tree like a sharp shooter most of the time.

He's taugh me how he does it, but if it's anthing of size, or in a dangerous place, I have him fell it, or I use a snatch block and and cable.  Nothing to play with for sure, and that guy could kill himself..  :o

Corley5

It's all fun and games til someone gets killed :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

tcsmpsi

Had a regular customer come in yesterday, and noticing a slight limp, I inquired.  Sheepishly, he told me that the new, stainless steel machete I sold him was SHARP (sharpest of the 7 styles/makes that I offer).
I told him when he bought it, that he couldn't play around with it, and it wasn't like machetes he was probably used to.  It doesn't dull after a few whacks.

Well, 6 inside and 18 outside stitches later, I believe he has much more respect for the tool, and its use.

Life's lessons can sometimes be expensive, in many ways.

Texas Ranger

Lifes lessons can be very valuable, if you survive them.  Match cuting like this is all but disappeared in my part of the world, to many amateurs were hurting or killing themselves trying it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

woodbowl

They did it again today.  :D  They got the wedge right, the back cut right, but it leaned back anyway. Had to get a front end loader to free up the saw.

I'm not one to talk, it's just starting to get funny. I've done the same thing in the past and I'm sure most of you have too. I've got one more day of sawing there and it's off to my next job.

Back40x2

A friend of mine works for a tree service company here in Maine.  Lucas tree.  That is how they train there people to cut as well.  It seems to me like it stablizes the tree if you are unsure on which way you think it might fall.  The top cut is last.  Once you meet in the middle the tree is still stabil and not going to fall as with a notch cut.  Just push where you want it to go and it seems to go.  It really does work well. 

To each is own I guess!
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

Dale Hatfield

Please Dont use this method to fell trees.
Its really  hard on the operator and the saw.
I wouldnt want to drive up under that sucker with a  tractor to fetch his saw.
A few mins to look up the tree and figger if its leaning foward or back.
a open face notch. a hinge and a felling wedge or 3 is all that it takes. to put em where ya want.

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

tcsmpsi

His directional cut should have been deeper into the tree and more open.
In that particular cut/tree, he should have come up above the trunk spread more for a more controllable felling cut.

Still though, even if there's just a slight chance it might fell and get only hung in other trees, I keep 150' of 10,000 lb test rope and a comealong and take the time to help it.  I found it saves time in the long run.  And is a WHOLE lot better on my nerves.   ;D

treecyclers

Felling trees is something like Darwinism.
Ever notice that there are so very few old stupid ones?
Most of the dummies have an experience that (hopefully) motivates them to get out of that particular occupation, or find someone to teach them properly ho to drop trees.
Like the thread on barber chairs that I found so wonderfully educational, this one is likewise extremely helpful too.
I pray that nobody gets hurt or perished working with the person dropping trees making cuts like the one pictured above.
Thankfully, most of my drops are trees that are either short, or are already down and all I have to do is buck them to length.
8)
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Mooseherder

Reminds me of my neighbor sawing some downed trees after the storm while his wife and mother are watching. I have dropped less than 20 trees and have alot to learn but couldn't take it any longer because he was scaring me to death with his inexperience. He had rented a Chainsaw (Way too big for him!) was cutting with one hand because his other arm was tired., cutting with his foot within inches of the chain. Asked him if I could help, which he gladly accepted. I started cutting,  quickly learned he had been cutting as much of the ground as the tree and to top it off. No bar oil was left in the tank.  Tried to sharpen his blade but it was pretty much ruined. Finished his job with my Home depot special. ::)

thecfarm

If I would of left a stump like that,my Father would of kicked me in the ..... and if he saw me cut it down like that he would of kicked me in the .....
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rebocardo

woodhick

Looks to me like he was just trying to  load it on the mill as he cut it. ;D
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Thank You Sponsors!