iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got my first deer on my first year hunting!

Started by J Beyer, November 24, 2002, 10:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Beyer

Hey guys and gals.

Just a quick note on how I got my doe on 11/24/02  ;D.  The first two does that I saw at 8am lifted their tails and ran before I could get a shot off.  At 8:07am saw the third doe.  Took one shot when it was standing still and a second when she was on the run.  Missed both times. >:(  I also knew where the slug would end up so there was no chance of hurting someone else.  I waited about 5 or 6 minutes before tracking it so it would not run any furhter in case I did hit it.  When checking for the blood trail I saw nothing in the 20-30 yards I looked for a blood trail and saw nothing.  At this time was when the fourth deer came into view.

The fourth deer was making a grunting sound like it was on the run.  I brought the gun up to get a shot when it came into view.  Somehow I just knew the deer was going to be in my sight in seconds.  The deer stopped and I checked it for a rack so I knew what I was shooting at.  Realizing it was a doe and had a good clean shot I dropped the doe on the first shot. ;D   I consider it a good shot considering the level of brush I had to shoot through.  Kind of small, probably a yearling doe-fawn, around 70-80lbs dressed.  Would have been nice to get a bigger one, but since I had to drag it aobut 1/4 mile I better get what I can.  Besides, the doe looked much bigger at the distance of 30-35yds.  Not bad for just a solid rib with a single bead on it.

By the way, the shotgun used was my Grandpappy Beyer's old Remington Model 11 that he bought new in 1928.  Barrel is date coded for April of 1928.  He shot deer with it, my father Rickie shot deer with it, and now I have shot one with it upholding the family tradition.  Kind of proud of that.  And it really stunk when I accidentally poked the stomach with my field knife .

Thanks for listening to my story.  I'm looking forward to hearing form you if you have a story to tell.

Hunt safely,

Jeffrey Beyer
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Kevin

Jeffrey;
Congratulations on your success.
That may be a year and a half doe, last years fawn.
It sounds like you have quite a few deer in that location.
Did you hang it to clean it?

Tom

The only way I see that many hooves at one time is be in a cow pasture.  Holy cow! Y'all must be eat-up with deer.  Did you have to leave the house? :D :D

Tillaway

Good for you, I shot a little one like that once.  I had nothing to scale it by when I saw it.  So I shot it and found out it was about the size of yours, good thing too it was a mile or so pack out.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

J Beyer

Yep, I had to leave the house.  From the end of my street the woods was probably three miles up river, or about 5 minutes to drive there.

The doe that I shot was running from someone else and ran into me.  The funniest story of the weekend happened Saturday morning.  I heard a BIG  :o rustling sound behind me!  I was thinking monster buck sneeking up on me.  Turned out to be a little chipmunk playing/scrounging for food.  Should have seen how high the chipmunk made me jump! :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'll have to try and outsmart the big buck next year.  Took me about an hour to gut it.  My buddy is going ot help me slice it up for the freezer tomorrow or the next day.  It's not like it is not going ot be warm anytime soon with the highs not getting out of the thirties all week.

JB

SawBilly

I didn't get one this past weekend, but I did see several. Here in Arkansas where I was hunting it is a buck only time. The buck also has to have at least 3 point one one side. anyway on the way to the stand I saw 10 Turkey's took pretend aim one them...not in season...also have to use shotgun, I use a Ruger .243. Was in the stand about 30 mins and saw 4 doe crossing behaind me..took pretend aim at them also :), about an hour later saw three more doe with a spike following. It had very large spikes about 12 inches or taller, but not three on one side so I took pretend aim on him several times ;D. A bit after that I accidently saw three butts (yes BUTTS) dissapearing down into the creek, didn't know what they might have been, probably doe.

All this before lunch, after lunch and a brief nap 8), I spooked two somethings going to a different stand, 30 mins into the sescond stand I reached for a grunt call and blew....WOA right behind me 20 feet or so another is running off, never knew he was there. I did not have Buck fever and am quite secure knowing if my family was starving I could feed them.

good thing is over christmas is a either deer hunt, I will get a doe then....I hope.

I have hunted for 30 years, last year was the first time I harvested a deer. I give God all the glory for that one, the only thing he didn't do was put a sign on it that said shoot here stupid.
I think as we get older we don't necessarily get better, but we don't move as fast and therefore have time to look around more.

DonT

Congrat's on your first deer! It is amazing after a few seasons how they all tend to blend together but the memory of your first deer is always fresh.Enjoy it,by the way what time is dinner?  DonT

Weekend_Sawyer

Nice going Jeffrey.

I remember my first deer. I started hunting deer in 1971 at age 11. I shot my first deer when I was 14. That year Uncle Kelly passed away and I still miss him. Dad gave me one of his guns, a 1944 303 Enfield that had been sporterized (if that is a word) I did NOT go right out and harvest a deer. The first deer I shot at 4 times and never came close. Back at the cabin Dad took my rifle and rang a steel plate we have at 100 yards, handed me back the rifle and said "Aim". He still is a man of few words. Well that's what I did, next day I had my first deer. I could see Dad was proud.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

J Beyer

Would you believe that my mom was more excited about it than my Dad?  Dad does not go hunting anymore which kind of stinks.  Going to try for another one this Sunday if the weather cooperates.  Might get lucky and have a dumb "swamp buck" come into view.  From the discussions that I've had with my friend and hunting buddy, "swamp bucks" are had to get.

JB

Corley5

Congrats on your first deer!  The little ones are the best eating and horns don't taste real great anyway.  I shot my first deer, a three point, with a .22 Hornet when I was fourteen.  I shot another one, a six point, two days with Dad's 30-30.  He figured if I could kill one cleanly with the Hornet it was time to move up to a real deer rifle.  The next season I shot a pair but this time with Grandpa's .270 Win.  It's still my deer rifle of choice.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

J Beyer

My freinds Bronson and Chad, they are brothers, shot a 30-30 (bronson) and a 6mm (Chad).  The 30-30 does a lot more damage to the meat than the 6mm, probably because of the bullet design.  Their dad was ticked when he found out the heart from Bronson's deer was split in two!

JB

Jeff

I used to shoot a 444 but after a shoulder surgery I couldnt take the abuse anymore. I know shoot a .35 remington. I just love those Marlins!  You could always tell if you got the heart with the 444. There wasn't one. You could not find it. We eat heart in this household but NOT the liver as some people do.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Minnesota_boy

Congratulations on the deer!  Next time you have to drag one out, use a 2 wheel cart or a plastic sled.  You'd be amazed at how much easier it is.  Much less chance of a heart attack that way.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Minnesota_boy

Even without snow, a sled loaded with deer pulls easier than just a deer by itself.  Use a rope to tie those protruding antlers and legs in so they don't catch on the brush and logs.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

DonT

I am not a big liver fan and our ministry of natural resources does not recomend you eat liver as they are believed to contain dangerous amounts of cadmium.I agree with Jeff however the heart makes a great snack,stuffed ,sliced and eaten cold.   DonT

Tom

$                                  
You gott-a-have Hear-r-r-t  ;D :D

J Beyer

Thanks for all of the great comments.  I might be going to a 20ga slug gun to do less damage to the meat.  But then again a 12ga packs a biger punch so which one to go with? ???

Jeff

Jeff,
If I was you I wouldnt worry so much about losing meat. Wait till you have the deer in position for a clean shot and make it.

Its more important that you make a clean and fast kill then going to an underpowered weapon that may just wound the deer where it suffers and you possibly never find it. If you hit it behind the front shoulder and the bullet enters and exits the ribs in the kill zone you wont ruin much meat. A 20 guage slug that impacts a shoulder or ham or high in the loin areas will cause much more trauma to the meat then a clean shot with a 300 winchester mag through the ribs.

Up till this year Tammy and I butchered meat for many hunters in our area plus I generally have 2 or 3 or 4. We DonT have the time for the other deer now so have given it up. We saw our share of ruined meat and its usually always from a hurried shot or running shot that was made at a bad angle on an animal.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

I found a dead doe in the woods today with a large hole behind its left shoulder. Shot with a slug gun or 50-54 caliber
muzzel loader.

The deer, a very nice large doe, had been shot a few days ago, but the "hunter" never followed up on the wounded deer to retreive it. A shame!
~Ron

ARKANSAWYER

I was down in the National Forest yesterday and came upon two Guys who must have  just moved here from up north.  They were dragging a nice 8 point out and each had a hind leg and were going straight up hill.  They were cussing and fussing about the front legs in the bursh and the horns in the rocks.  I took my hunting knife and cut off about a 3 inch hickory 6 ft long and with a piece of rope I carry tied it to the horns and told them to each get on a side and drag away.  They thanked me and I went on my way.  I saw them in town today at the hardware store and they were *pithed at me.  I asked "If it wasn't easier to drag it that way."  They said yes! but it was taking them farther away from the truck.   :D
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Lenny

easy on the north boys( northeast) We can find the truck, No problem, Just can`t find our way home. Isn`t that down under somewhere.( At 65 or 70 when I get threre)

Thank You Sponsors!