iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Latin anyone?

Started by moosehunter, April 24, 2006, 04:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

I see this on the back of a pick-up and am curious.

" Carpe' diem II"

The mark between the e and d is actually a , but up where I put the '.
Is it latin? Whats it mean?
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

thurlow

Seize the day, i.e. enjoy the day.  Am I the onliest one that "took" high school Latin?
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Ianab

Yup.. Latin is 'Pluck the day' but usually translated to 'seize the day'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpe_diem

Also the title of a very good Metallica song from a few years back  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dan_Shade

that was a "mediocre" Metallica song (never thought I'd see metallica on this board! :)

I had latin in high school, I didn't do too well.

semper ubi sububi
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

wiam

I took a year of latin in HS.  I learned alot about english because of latin.  I would have taken another year if there had been a different teacher.

Will

Bro. Noble

Where were you guys when I was showing off my latin skills -------remember that thread about Cleopatra? :D :D :D

She did that congegating stuff and got Amo,Amas,Amat, Amos,  and Andy
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

that was a fun thread, wasn't it Noble?

Was that Latin we were talkin' when we were discussin' what Brutus et?

Don P

I thought Brutus et two  ???

Bro. Noble

I don't think so Tom,  if I remember correctly,  he et tu.  That sounds oriental to me

Bro. Noble

You could be right Don-------probably et two Carpe's with a jug of ripple.  That sounds more latin ;D

Tom

GaryD says that, if you can spin a chinaman around enough, you can disorient him.  I wonder if Brutus was disoriented?

Furby

Learning Latin right now at work.
They had suggested I learn Spanish so as to communicate with the workers, but I actually have to check off product in Latin. ::)
Sure is fun......... not!

Tom

Where are you workin', in Rome?  .......Georgia?   :P

Furby

:D
Nope, just up here.
Plants are labled with scientific name and common name, paper work is limited in the common name area so it's checked by scientific name.
Long as I can see it I can find it, having to say it or hear it don't work. ;D

Tom

There is a Rome, Michigan tu..  uh....  too.      You could go over there and get a tutor.

Furby

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sprucebunny

I took 6 years of Latin ::) 4 years of Latin 1 and 2 years of Latin 2 ::) You would think they could have figured out by then that I wasn't too good at ferin languages :D

And while we're on this topic, maybe Leweee will translate his quote for us ???

Dan_Shade... The only latin I ever understood :D Numquam ubi sububi
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Mr Mom

All you guys a smart.
     I cant speak English right and you can ask my high school English teacher that. Somthing about a lost cause.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

leweee

Sprucebunny.......a loose translation :P  Don't let the  Bas%&rds  grind you down.
                    It's the any latin phrase I remember. ::)
                 As a new member I asked Gilman (Dave) what the latin was under his avatar.....he said it was "I have to edit my profile" spelled backwards. Sure made me feel stupid. :D :D :D :D :D 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

thurlow

Thought it was "NIL ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM".........which I read somewhere is just made up and is not Latin at all................
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Brad_S.

Thankfully, Latin wasn't taught anymore by the time I reached high school, but I did know what "Carpe' diem" meant because I saw the movie "Dead Poet's Society". :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

SAW MILLER

My Mom was tellin her friends that the teacher told her that I was gonna become an astronaut....Really the teacher told her I was takin up space ::) ::) I didn't take no stinking Latin
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Bro. Noble

Being in High School just after 'sputnick' caused me a lot of strife >:(  The councelor insisted that I take two years of Latin and 4 years of math and refused to let me take agriculture or industrial arts.  Anyone with average or higher IQ owed it to himself and his country to go to college  ----in his opinion :(

After a lot of arguing and pleading,  we comprimised-------I took two years of Latin and 3 1/2 years of math,  but I slept through them and finally failed math therby escaping the final semester of it.  Heck,  I can run a calculator about as well as the next guy and was able to work a night job while in highschool:D :D 

My Dad has a masters degree in Mechanical Engineering.  We sold a load of grade lumber to a new place last week and I was showing Dad the ticket.  I asked him to get a pencil and paper and figure the average price per board ft.  He always carries a pencil and paper in his shirt pocket,  so he got them out and wrote down the value of the check and the total footage.  Then he took his calculator out of his pocket and punched the numbers into it :D :D :D

jon12345

Latin is fun.  :)

I think I'd have a little more of a response than 'et tu' if someone just stabbed me.  ::)
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Thank You Sponsors!